Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Black monks in the pink?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Black monks in the pink?

Post by Greyth »

Hi, my stupid question for today is - why are the Black Monk's ships and stations a putrid shade of pink? I mean, each to their own I'm sure! I'm guessing that on my laughably antiquated rig the textures aren't displayed but it's good to be in the know.
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Black monks in the pink?

Post by another_commander »

Oolite version? Computer specs? Operating System? Graphics card specs and drivers version?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Do they look like this?

If so then that's Oolite's default material being applied to the ship - this be might be due to a bug in one of the blackmonk oxp shaders (there'll be a few errors reported in the log file if this is happening), or missing textures in the oxp folder (in that case maybe re-download the oxp) - have you got the 'shady' version of the oxp from here? http://www.box.com/shared/7twwbaelcc - i think this is the latest version (works just as well on non shader capable computers)
here it is with shaders switched off, no visible pinkness
If you have both versions of the oxp installed (the shady version and the non shady version) then remove one of them as there may be a filename clash or something between them causing the missing textures
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Ah, yes, I can see that the Black Monks look a lot more threatening than they do on this rig. I'll re-down the OXP and retry - thanks guys. Sorry for the lack of specs - I'm running Oolite 1.76 under Ubuntu 11.10 on a 2.66 intel driven Dell I8200 with 512mb RAM and a Radeon 9000 mobility 64mb using the open source driver, so the wonder is that it runs at all I suppose!
Oolite 1.76
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Hmm, no joy... I was originally running the non-shady version and now I'm running the shady version. It looks like the monastery and gunship models are completely naked.

I removed all OXP's except the shady black monks and re-started Oolite with shift key down - but Griff's scuffed Cobra mkIII is still shown in "ship parade" at start of game. Also, in a new game the in-game music for Lave from Famous Planets 2.5 is audible...? And if I'm not mistaken the tesxure is still on the planet? What have I omitted?
Oolite 1.76
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Greyth,
Can you post your log here? That might well tell us something.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Umm, no! I can't find it... lol... where is it supposed to be? :roll:

In the meantime I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my method of install. I got v1.75 thru Ubuntu's repository. Then I removed that and loaded 1.76 from TCL using a bit of gibberish I gleaned from someone else. I wonder particularly if the uninstall of 1.75 was less than replete. So, I'll have another go at that.
Oolite 1.76
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Hi, thanks for bearing with me. I seemed to have two versions installed and it was getting the addons from home/usr/.oolite rather than from within the Gnustep folder - and I found the logs! yaay! :D . Now when I load the shader version the monastery is properly clad. Yay!

FYI: When I use the non shader version it reports that it can't find a few textures - it's looking for textures suffixed with .PNG rather than .png. I'm guessing that works just dandy under windows but not on Linux. Log fragment attached.

Code: Select all

22:43:01.108 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_station_hull.PNG".
22:43:01.498 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_station_subents.PNG".
22:43:01.531 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_station_plates.PNG".
22:43:01.542 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "griff_station_bay.PNG".
22:43:01.583 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "cannon.PNG".
22:43:01.601 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "cannon.PNG".
22:43:01.606 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "cannon.PNG".
22:43:01.611 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "cannon.PNG".
22:43:01.664 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.664 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.671 [ai.load.failed.unknownAI]: Can't switch AI for <ShipEntity 0xae790a0>{"Mine Sweeper Satellite"} to "minesweeperAI.plist" - could not load file.
22:43:01.672 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.673 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.675 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.676 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.678 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.678 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.681 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.681 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.683 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.684 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.686 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.686 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.689 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.689 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.691 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.692 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:43:01.694 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_outside.PNG".
22:43:01.694 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "a_radar_inside.PNG".
22:44:07.487 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Cobra Mark III with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the Black Monk Monastery.
22:49:08.186 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2012-02-08 22:49:08 +0000.
Oolite 1.76
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yes, it's case-sensitivity.
If you can work out which OXP these belong to, you could perhaps report it on the thread for the OXP so the author is made aware. Obviously you can also find them and re-name them so they work for you.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Greyth wrote:
FYI: When I use the non shader version it reports that it can't find a few textures - it's looking for textures suffixed with .PNG rather than .png. I'm guessing that works just dandy under windows but not on Linux. Log fragment attached.
Smivs wrote:
If you can work out which OXP these belong to...
He already knows which oxp they belong to!

If as Griff says the latest "shady" version works on non-shader computers, it might well be worth someone editing the wiki page. The "shady" link points to the same one that Griff linked to earlier, but the "non-shady" link points to something that Box.com says was last updated on Jan 2007. Presumably that would make it Littlebear's original release, which has many documented errors on the board. And if the "shady" version works on all computers (in that I assume it has checks which stop it from trying to draw stuff it isn't capable of), then the "non-shady" version is redundant and also confusing...
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Let me change the topic temporarily; did y'all notice this chestnut in the log Greyth posted?

22:44:07.487 [station.launchShip.failed]: Cancelled launch for a Cobra Mark III with role trader, as it is too large for the docking port of the Black Monk Monastery.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Wildeblood wrote:
Let me change the topic temporarily; did y'all notice this chestnut in the log Greyth posted?

That is only a problem with the original monastery. That one has no dock defined. There is a subentity that was meant as dock but it is not properly defined so that Oolite does not know that that subentity should be a dock. In that case Oolite uses a default dock and that has the dimensions:

port_dimensions = make_vector(69, 69, 250);
Clearly to small for most ships :lol: It will only allow the launches of shuttles and vipers. Most other ships will already be to big.

There are more issues with the original Monastery. one is the very general names of subentities: 'cannon.dat', 'gun.dat', 'mainship.dat'. With such names it becomes likely that other oxps used the same name and you can end up with subentities from another oxp :D
So better remove the link to the original version from 2007 completely. Specially as the new version now works on all systems.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
If as Griff says the latest "shady" version works on non-shader computers, it might well be worth someone editing the wiki page. The "shady" link points to the same one that Griff linked to earlier, but the "non-shady" link points to something that Box.com says was last updated on Jan 2007. Presumably that would make it Littlebear's original release, which has many documented errors on the board. And if the "shady" version works on all computers (in that I assume it has checks which stop it from trying to draw stuff it isn't capable of), then the "non-shady" version is redundant and also confusing...
Done.
Eric Walch wrote:
So better remove the link to the original version from 2007 completely. Specially as the new version now works on all systems.
Hm, for now I kept it and marked it as the original but buggy but supporting old Oolite versions.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Eric Walch wrote:

That is only a problem with the original monastery. That one has no dock defined. There is a subentity that was mend as dock but it is not properly defined so that Oolite does not know that that subentity should be a dock. In that case Oolite uses a default dock and that has the dimensions:

port_dimensions = make_vector(69, 69, 250);
Clearly too small for most ships :lol: It will only allow the launches of shuttles and vipers. Most other ships will already be too big.
I thought it might be another instance of randomly refusing to launch ordinary ships, claiming they're too big, that has been discussed in regard to the King Cobra and others.