Permission sought for leave of absence.

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Permission sought for leave of absence.

Post by drew »

Comes to us all I guess, but it’s now my turn to take a step back from frontline duty. I joined the BB back in early 2006, just before v1.65 of Oolite arrived. Back then there was a single piece of fiction available (The Virtuous Misfortune by Dylan Smith - check it out in Alien Items!), the most uber ship was the Super Cobra and there was little in the way of scenery or extra flavour in the Ooniverse. Things have changed a bit I’d say. I particularly remember the creation of the ‘fiction’ forum, how we felt we’d arrived!

I’d tried my hand at an OXP, and with a lot of improvements from Commander McLane, it’s a half decent bit of fluff to amuse if you fancy a visit to the Tianve Pulsar.

Of course, hopefully most of you have spotted and read my stories. My fondest thought is that Rebecca, Jim and tales penned by me have been partly baked into the ‘canon’ of Oolite. I hope I entertained you and daubed in a little more colour onto the canvas of the Ooniverse. I had a blast writing those stories and learnt a lot, from mostly constructive criticism, in the process. If you can see an improvement between Status Quo and Finis, that’s down to you folks. They’ll stay online until no one is interested in them anymore. Thanks for that – a life’s ambition fulfilled.

Real life is demanding more than I’m happy to give right now and it’s unlikely to let go in 2012 from what I can see. I’m a little worn around the edges too, and have been unable to write much of anything since I completed ‘Finis’. Imagination won’t kick in, which doesn’t feel great to be honest. I could do with an extra energy unit right now.

So I’m applying for an extended leave of absence. The trusty Cobra Mk3 is docked, powered down and locked up. Quirium tanks are drained, and the generators are cold, even my pet trumble is in stasis – good thing too – kennel costs would have bankrupted me. Galcop’s been informed and my flight license has been put on a retainer for now. Black monk debts are paid and we’re all square. I hope to come back, but I’m going planetside for a while until things get sorted out.

My commlines remain open, so messages will be acknowledged if received. If it’s an emergency, try a wideband transmission on channel three eighty five point two. That usually works.

When will I be back? Truth is, I don’t know. But I do intend to return.

See you in witchspace folks. Keep your laser cool.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Coyote
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element

Re: Permission sought for leave of absence.

Post by Coyote »

I'll get your coat!
¿Dónde está la cerveza?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I hope it all sorts out for the best.
Have a nice sabbatical, Drew, and don't forget your towel!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Take care, and don't disappear forever. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Steve
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Steve »

I don't post here much, but I'd like to express my gratitude for your excellent Oolite fiction stories. They will grace my Kindle for a long time to come!
FrontierAstro - dedicated to Elite, Frontier and Astronomy
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

drew wrote:
My fondest thought is that Rebecca, Jim and tales penned by me have been partly baked into the ‘canon’ of Oolite.
To me, Status Quo is to Oolite as The Dark Wheel is to Elite. A wonderful way to introduce one to the Ooniverse and begin immersion. And while I don't know if I can count the others as canon, they are awesome nonetheless. So a great big thank you for all the hard work!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Looking forward to read more from you, also outside the Oolite universe. Incidentally, I got my woman 'Torn' for Christmas (the paperback), she loved it and went through it quite quickly. Afterwards I had a go and found it hard to put down as well. Quite thoughtful approach to the ideas of church and faith. Just the end was a little bit too kitchy for our tastes. But, would love to have it as a hard back, it looks so much better in the library. Hope it will be available one day!

Anyways, all the best!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
To me, Status Quo is to Oolite as The Dark Wheel is to Elite. A wonderful way to introduce one to the Ooniverse and begin immersion. And while I don't know if I can count the others as canon, they are awesome nonetheless. So a great big thank you for all the hard work!
Absolutely! You're a mainstay not just of the forum but the whole extended Oolite community, and it's a certainty that it wouldn't be as large, enthusiastic or imaginative without you. Take the time you need but don't let the dust gather too thick on the hull ... we'll run into you in some seedy space bar sooner or later, I'm sure!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Thank you Drew, enjoyed, and still enjoying actually, your work a lot. Hope you find that extra energy unit so that I some time in the future can enjoy the Fantasy story you were considering.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Thank you Drew, it was reading Status Quo and Mutabalis that really got me back into Oolite/Elite nearly a year ago now.

Good luck, and don't forget to come back...we'll keep the witchdrive warm for your return. And I hope the imagination kicks in, I am looking forward to your efforts in the sword and sorcery genre too.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hope you, Drew, as one of the most creative people here with a big treasure trove of ideas, will find your way back in time.

Or at least continue to lurk here once in a while, will you?

Wish you a good journey.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

I will certainly miss ya and your quick wit. You do know that you are leaving one hell of a hole out here where the vagabonds roam.
I vote that a new station be named after you so that when we dock, we will still be connected .... in spirit if not in the prescence.
Good hunting and you will get that extra energy unit with this hopefully short hiatus.
Yah-ta-hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by maaarcooose »

Drew,

You got me inspired to write seriously again. My fic will have a big thanks in the front.
Thanks for all the OOlite work and for Torn.

I understand how much RL has to take over most times and then finding the motivation to write when all you want to do is sleep becomes even harder.

I'll keep a seat at the bar reserved until you return.

!m!

And in line with everything, a little flash fic, inspired by this thread to send you on your way. (excuse the forum paste format and my spelling)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jovan Trask stumbled into The Startled Goat, unsteady on his feet and made his way directly to the bar. He barely noticed the old man sat in one of the stools at the end of the bar where it was quietest and darkest. Jovan fell his full weight into the bar top and nearly rested his head onto a beer mat. He remained there for a few seconds, breathing heavily and looked up when the barman addressed him.
"Hey. No sleeping on my bar top," he said.
Jovan popped his head back up, eyes blinking and sighed deep.
"You want a drink, or just a place to sleep?"
"A drink. Shot. Strong." His words were broken and stuttered.
"No problem," the barman said and gestured to the thumb scanner. Jovan put his thumb onto it with a shaking hand as the barman placed a small glass of brown liquid in front of him. He downed the liquid and felt the fire burn down to his stomach. He pushed the empty glass back across towards the barman and pointed at it.
"Stronger one," he said "And a beer to follow up."
After downing his second shot, he took a good swallow of the cold beer and finaly managed to relax a little. The old man at the end of the bar observed him quietly.
"Tough run?" he said and pushed up the brim of his large hat.
Jovan looked in his direction, squinting to try and make him out, his own slightly bad eyesight being made worse by his state of mind. He could just make out the shape of an old face.
"Yeah. Very tough." he said.
"What were you running?"
"Just a few tonnes of luxuries. Trying to make enough cash for a mil laser."
The man sniggered and nodded. He casually rolled a cigarette and lit it, sending spirals of smoke into the air that were hastily sucked awar by the bar air conditioner.
"Still new to this then? Got your stock cobbie?"
"Not totally stock," Jovan said defensively. "I've got an ECM now."
"No offense intended son. We all have to start somewhere."
Jovan took another swallow from his drink and moved down the bar a little.
"What ship you got then?"
"A Mk3 just like you, but mines got some miles on it now and plenty of upgrades."
Jovan tilted his head and studied the old man a little closer. He was clearly a veteran combateer and with the right persuation would probably give him some good advice.
"What would you recomend then, for my next upgrade?"
"That's a good question. Put it this way." He took a long drag on his roll-up and exhaled in his direction. "What's the one thing you always need in a fire fight."
Jovan shuffled his feet a little and looked embarased.
"In all honesty, that last run was probably only my fourth actual fight. I've been running cheap stuff back and fourth between some safe systems for a while and decided to up the stakes this time."
"Got a little more than a single pirate with a shit laser then?"
"Yeah." Jovan stared into his beer.
"Look son. Most noobies make the mistake of throwing missiles around like they've got fifty of them and then get spaced shortly after they get ECM'd."
"They do seem a little useless."
"They mostly are. You're just starting out." The old man pointed at him. "You got a hundred, twenty creds to splash out on every trip?"
Jovan shook his head.
"Of course not." He took another drag. "Upgrade your lasers, all of them." He counted off the next steps with raised fingers. "Lasers are free to run, they recharge and you can have four of them."
Jovan nodded, taking a sip of beer, slowly the shaking was subsiding.
"After that, scoops, injectors and bigger cargo space in whatever order you like."
Jovan drained his beer and ordered another.
"And another thing. Don't let anyone tell you the Mk3 is shit. I am totaly conviced that I would have been dead many times over in a different ship. They can take a pounding and still bring you home."
"Really?" Jovan raised his eyebrows. "There a lots of better ships out there."
"Faster ships, certainly. More suited to fighting, definitely. Better?" The old man tilted his head to the side which was emphasised by his hat. "I don't think so. Come and seem me again in a year and tell me you want to get rid of her."
Coming closer, Jovan could make out the obvious scar down one side of his face, and the old man caught him looking.
"If you're lucky you'll get on without any of these, but the eight can be a funny place. You never know what might happen."
Nodding, Jovan sipped his bear again.
"Now young one," the old man said. "I'm in a good mood tonight, so buy me a beer, pull up a chair and I'll fill your head with more advice than you can fit in it."
Jovan smiled and swayed his way over to the end of the bar. The drinks and comedown from the fight was already effecting his coordination.
"Don't get too pissed though." The old man pointed at him.
"Fair enough." Jovan put his hand on the back of the high seated bar chair to pull it out.
"Don't sit there." The old man snapped and his eyes blazed at Jovan.
"Why not?" Jovan took his hand from the chair. It was fairly unremarkable, maybe a bit more worn than the rest.
"Take a look at the plaque."
Jovan read it; 'Permanently Reserved for D.W.'
"Who's D.W.?" He asked.
"On your way in here, did you see the MK3 covered with dust in bay 7F?"
"Barely. I was a little shaken up at the time."
"Belongs to D.W. One of the best story tellers in the eight. Good friend of mine too." The old man took a sip of the fresh beer in front of him. "Spent many an hour in here, talking over plot points and characters. That chair is where he did most of his writing. Pretty good pilot too."
"Has he writen anything I've heared of?"
"I doubt it. His stuff aint published in the usual way."
The old man drained his glass in one go and slamed it back on the bar making Jovan and the barman jump.
"Now, pull up another chair and I'll tell you a little story of my own."
Last edited by maaarcooose on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

maaarcooose wrote:
You got me inspired to write seriously again. My fic will have a big thanks in the front.
Thanks for all the OOlite work and for Torn.
Lookimg forward to Mostly Deadly. Nice writing above!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Been there - have the t-shirt.

(I had 18 months off after my youngest was born with a small basket filled to brimming with health issues)

The board will be here - we will be here - Oolite will be here - it will probably be prettier but it will be still Oolite.

I await your return and hope you find your writing mojo soon (I've also been there).

Take care, au revoir mon ami.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here