Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Recommendations for Linux JS file editor

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Recommendations for Linux JS file editor

Post by Thargoid »

Yes, I'm back playing with Linux (now have a nice little Mint Lisa install on a 16GB USB key, complete with both trunk and stable plus the console) but I've yet to find a file editor that is comfortable for JS coding.

On the Win7 side of the machine I use the normal Notepad++, but would appreciate peoples views on what is recommended on this side of the partition...
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Recommendations for Linux JS file editor

Post by SandJ »

How about the in-built Accessories, Applications, gedit Text Editor? (which is available in Ubuntu and I assume is also the default text editor in Mint)?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Gedit is good - but it wasn't very good at Javascript highlighting/formatting when I used it last and a quick Google seems to indicate that it still isn't.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I seem to recall someone saying that you could run Notepad++ on Linux using WINE... but all that is beyond my ken.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
I seem to recall someone saying that you could run Notepad++ on Linux using WINE... but all that is beyond my ken.
Yeah, but that's a bit like saying you can run your petrol car on diesel, you just need a different engine... :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
Yeah, but that's a bit like saying you can run your petrol car on diesel, you just need a different engine...
Yeah, that figures... but at least I got to post in the Linux forum!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

I have not used any of the following, but they are listed in the Ubuntu Software Centre as Javascript editors so should be worth considering:
- fckeditor
- tinymce
- edit-json

Although I have not used any of them, hopefully this will give you something to play with until such time as someone who knows what they are talking about gives you an answer ... unless you become that person, of course!

(The last time I used a language-specific editor it was 'brief' for C but I thought it was pants.)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I use emacs, which has a decent Javascript mode. (Its C mode is fine for plists and shaders, too, if you do want to go down that route) Also, if you want a break from coding, you can play Elite without leaving the editor

(Obligatory warning that emacs has a fairly steep initial learning curve for a text editor. The last few versions have added a lot of usability improvements that, as someone who already knew how to use it by the time they came out, I don't really feel qualified to comment on)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I was trying to avoid both Emacs and Wine, for the reasons both stated above). I was just hoping that you lot could recommend something JS-wise. I'll certainly have a look at the three mentioned.

Thanks all - yes gedit is in there by default and works well enough as a text editor, but it lacks the coding features that I was looking for.
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Some of my friends use Sublime Text 2 for their programming, and from what I've seen on their screens when they've been working, it looks pretty nice...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

I use gvim, but as for emacs the learning curve is.. "interesting".

How about using a full-blown IDE such as NetBeans or Eclipse?
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

At the moment I was thinking of the set-up as just a "play thing" to get the hang of Linux a bit more, with the Oolite part just for OXP testing and a little light alteration as may be required.

Gedit or one of the already mentioned ones would probably already be enough - as I have a fully working and suitable Win7 installation that fits the bill as an everyday workspace I can't really justify going too deep into things (hence why it's on a USB stick and not the hard disc). Whilst the Linux setup is working fine and is fun to play with, at the moment it doesn't do things better or faster than the Win7 setup so there's not much point in a full move-over.

So Eclipse et al may be a ponderance a little further on, but at the moment it's a bit too far I think. But I must admit it is one I did come across and consider a little for a while.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Thargoid wrote:
So Eclipse et al may be a ponderance a little further on, but at the moment it's a bit too far I think. But I must admit it is one I did come across and consider a little for a while.[/color]
One of the benefits is they are cross-platform so you could use those tools under both Win & Linux. Always useful if you are switching environments.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
fronclynne
Deadly
Deadly

Post by fronclynne »

joe (quo vide) is one of my favourite editors. Does all the expected things, has an emacs-like mode for the perverts, & works on everything I've tried (also has a wordstar mode for those of us in the know).

There's even an alternate version (preferred here) from the wacky kids at the miros project: https://www.mirbsd.org/jupp.htm
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Try Kate , an excellent text editor with support for syntax highlighting in 100+ programming languages.

http://userbase.kde.org/Kate

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]