Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

YOUR AD HERE!!! 300 ads (sets A, B, C, D, E, F & G)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: YOUR AD HERE!!! 300 ads (sets A, B, C, D, E, F & G)

Post by SandJ »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
And yet, as you're not alone in recounting a version of this story, I've never had it happen to me - and when I do play Oolite I spend it jumping to systems that I know will have a Constore/Tetrascreen!
Definitely once crashed and died in under a second from coming out of witchspace, and definitely twice had to immediately turn the ship to avoid hitting the billboard with a few seconds. Never noticed a witchpoint beacon right in front of me and up close, though, on emerging from witchspace.

I shall attempt to endeavour to remember to be quick enough with the <pause> next time it happens so I can get a screendump.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Gimi wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can't believe it YAH down on page 4! Shocking!
Anyway - as I'm currently very cross with RL(tm) Veolia it's only fair that I parody them inside Oolite!
Now there is a challenge! Every time we are annoyed with a company or organisation we get back at them by doing a parody or something similar in YAH.
Hmmm, I think I'll do my ISP tomorrow.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Disembodied wrote:
Gimi wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Can't believe it YAH down on page 4! Shocking!
Anyway - as I'm currently very cross with RL(tm) Veolia it's only fair that I parody them inside Oolite!
Now there is a challenge! Every time we are annoyed with a company or organisation we get back at them by doing a parody or something similar in YAH.
Hmmm, I think I'll do my ISP tomorrow.
That is genius!

I've oft referred to them as Vermin Mediocre in my past blogs...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've oft referred to them as Vermin Mediocre in my past blogs...
You've often said how much you admire and respect them, and you're definitely the inspiration for this ad ... although I've had my own encounters with them too. ;)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:D

So,, how did you do the hamster on the wheel - it's magnificent!
Selezen wrote:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
:D

So,, how did you do the hamster on the wheel - it's magnificent!
The same way I do much of my "art" ... I did a google image search (for "rat wheel", in this instance), saw it, liked it and nicked it. Or, I "used a magpie sensibility to create a collage of experiences, to reflectively comment on the globalised visual culture of the 21st century", which sounds better ;). It's a frame from an animated GIF used here:
http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01107/index.html

Mind you, it seems somewhat out of place there, so I don't know where they got it from!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Like me, plain and simple.

Thank-you to it's RL(tm) equivalent for trying to sell my a "bag" which contained precisely 5 screws for £3.99...

Selezen wrote:
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

SandJ wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
And yet, as you're not alone in recounting a version of this story, I've never had it happen to me - and when I do play Oolite I spend it jumping to systems that I know will have a Constore/Tetrascreen!
Definitely once crashed and died in under a second from coming out of witchspace, and definitely twice had to immediately turn the ship to avoid hitting the billboard with a few seconds. Never noticed a witchpoint beacon right in front of me and up close, though, on emerging from witchspace.

I shall attempt to endeavour to remember to be quick enough with the <pause> next time it happens so I can get a screendump.
It happened again. Just exited hyperspace so close to the advertising board that I had no time to react. Dead in under a second.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

SandJ wrote:
It happened again. Just exited hyperspace so close to the advertising board that I had no time to react. Dead in under a second.
Makes sense. The witchbuoy is always placed at the origin. Witchspace exit points are between 750m and 25.6km from the origin, biased towards the low end of that range. Initial speed on witchspace exit is about one quarter of max speed, vector planetwards, so around 80m/s for a typical ship.

The ad-board is approximately a rectangle 1120m x 560m, so its furthest diagonal edge is approx 625m from the origin.

You don't even regain attitude control after witchspace exit for a small time, so collisions are going to happen, and an object that big will do enough impact damage to destroy most ships. I've never hit one myself, but I've had a few exits where I've had to pull up and brake sharply.

Perhaps if the witchbuoys are going to be that large, the margin for witchspace exit needs adjusting outwards a little. 2km minimum should give sufficient time to avoid a collision.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

SandJ wrote:
Well, it's just one of the sacrifices that have to be brought to hyper-capitalism. :twisted:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Commander McLane wrote:
SandJ wrote:
Well, it's just one of the sacrifices that have to be brought to hyper-capitalism. :twisted:
Yeah! You anti-business types just want to wreck the economy. It's health and safety gone mad ... ;)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Perhaps there's room for a handwavium OXP?

The PWEI* (Post Witchspace Exit Inhibitor) - sustains the respulitron particles gathered during Witch-tunnel transit and traps them temporarily within the shield matrix.

As far as the pilot is concerned the PWEI gives the ship apparently infinite amounts of energy and is therefore temporarily indestructible (for about 5 seconds) - of course what is actually happening is that the repulsitrons are acting as a buffer between the ship and "normal" space so that even large and very solid objects seem to bounce off the surface of the ship...

* Any resemblance to any other identical RL(tm) acronym is purely contrived...
Selezen wrote:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Just wondering, how is it going with sets H and I? I saw some lists for those but the latest download is for set G.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I have all the ads constructed for sets H and I.

I did ask for contributions towards Constore Ad rings, two-frame 1x1 (256x256px) and other stuff for the stores themselves - buried on this thread somewhere.

I'll re do the list.

As a temporary measure I could issue just the ads in the right format - and people could create their own local set Hs and Is by copying in the missing Constore stuff from their favourite current constore and then rename the OXP.

I was also working on a shader version - figuring if you're running the Constore with full shaders you might want the Ads with full shaders* too... (just one set of 50 to start with!)

* Because they look good and not just for the sake of it (unlike say, for example, redoing the Star Wars movies in 3D, not because you should, but because you can)
Selezen wrote: