Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

GRS buoyRepair.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: GRS buoyRepair.oxp

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Eric Walch wrote:
Kaks wrote:
Nope, we must have the animated version! Wouldn't expect anything less from the illustrious GRS! :D

Ok, not must, but it would be nice to have! ;)
It was my first though of solving the problem by making an unfolding buoy. Thant I got the idea that doing it by cheating also might work. It was bouyRepair oxp that started with entity switching in the first place. so the cheat was just a continuation of existing code. I'll see if I can break up the buoy model in two pieces with wingz and make it 'unfolding' :wink:
How about inflating?
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Erm... if they could be disassembled, why bother with towing them at all? It only makes sense if the buoys aren't foldable or collapsible, else they'd be much more easily transported in a large freighter's cargo bay.

Although it may be harder, the only things that would make sense would be to either make the buoys smaller or the bay larger.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Erm... if they could be disassembled, why bother with towing them at all? It only makes sense if the buoys aren't foldable or collapsible, else they'd be much more easily transported in a large freighter's cargo bay.

Although it may be harder, the only things that would make sense would be to either make the buoys smaller or the bay larger.
We're not talking about disassembly are we - we're only talking about a little pre-launch folding...

Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Okay, it is working now. As the buoy only exists of 3 identical disks, it did ask for an unfolding operation.

I now added three of the disk subEntities on top of each other, aligned with the docking bay. Some time after launch the second and third disk start to slowly rotate by 90 degrees around the x and z axis, respectively. After about 10 seconds we than have a fully unfolded, original buoy. :lol:

Its probably a much nicer solution than my previous hack :wink:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Nice One Eric - somebody will have to post a video!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Yay! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Eric was splendid - v1.3.1 is online.

Changes:
- Buoys (un)folding
- Other tweaks

And...

Merry christmas .-)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Eric Walch wrote:
As the buoy only exists of 3 identical disks, it did ask for an unfolding operation.

I now added three of the disk subEntities on top of each other, aligned with the docking bay. Some time after launch the second and third disk start to slowly rotate by 90 degrees around the x and z axis, respectively. After about 10 seconds we than have a fully unfolded, original buoy. :lol:
Installed this OXP this morning and ended up a Fugitive just so I could watch the tug launch and unfold the buoy. It works and it's really neat! Thank you for this cool addition to the Ooniverse.

(So that's my 2nd Xmas present to myself sorted.)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

GRS buoyRepair.oxp slows my PC too much

Post by SandJ »

I play Oolite on my netbook which has a 900 MHz Celeron processor. I cannot have any of the detailed graphics OXPs because they slow my PC too much.

I can tell when I have hyperspaced into a system with a Buoy Factory in it because of how the game performs. I have to knock the TAF down to 0.25 to be able to control my ship.

The Buoy Factory is indeed a thing of wonder and beauty, worthy of marvel. But now I have marvelled at its beauty, I wonder how to get shot of its performance impact without uninstalling the .OXP

Any suggestions?
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

SandJ wrote:
The Buoy Factory is indeed a thing of wonder and beauty, worthy of marvel. But now I have marvelled at its beauty, I wonder how to get shot of its performance impact without uninstalling the .OXP

Any suggestions?
Yep. There are several things you could try.

General:
- Define "max-texture-size" in .GNUStepDefaults, set to 512 or 256.
- Define "texture-anisotropy-scale" in .GNUStepDefaults, set to 0.

buoyRepair:
- Comment out the subent declaration for the screen animation in shipdata (line 449 "grs_ani")
- Comment out the materials and shader entries (except the materials for "grs_bay")
- Reduce the number of spawned ships (buoyRepair.js, this.addShips, line 111ff)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Svengali wrote:
There are several things you could try.

General:
- Define "max-texture-size" in .GNUStepDefaults, set to 512 or 256.
- Define "texture-anisotropy-scale" in .GNUStepDefaults, set to 0.
I am sure that made things worse everywhere, and systems with a Buoy Factory impossible to fly in unless TAF is set to .25.
Svengali wrote:
buoyRepair:
- Comment out the subent declaration for the screen animation in shipdata (line 449 "grs_ani")
- Comment out the materials and shader entries (except the materials for "grs_bay")
Doing those got the FPS from 7 to about 26 when not in the vicinity of the factory, which is good enough.

Thank you! :D
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re:

Post by SandJ »

Eric Walch wrote:
If you can't fight it, at least turn it in a profit for you.

That's were the upcoming oxp is about. Set up a repair system of buoys. With such an upcoming shortage we can ask any prise for repair! Big business!

Cmdr. Walch,
Salesman of the GRS.
Commander, I see you have these operations running in Communist systems. Given the capitalist nature of your venture, however did you get the Communist systems (e.g. Reriza in Galaxy 5 where I have been playtesting this .OXP all evening) to allow you to operate?
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

At the risk of sounding petty, in \Config\descriptions.plist there is a trivial change needed:

"... it's facilities" --> "... its facilities" x 4
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

SandJ wrote:
At the risk of sounding petty, in \Config\descriptions.plist there is a trivial change needed:

There's no excuse for that.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 80#p142925
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

SandJ wrote:
Svengali wrote:
buoyRepair:
Doing those got the FPS from 7 to about 26 when not in the vicinity of the factory, which is good enough.

Thank you! :D
Fine, fine .-)

To make it complete - you can rename the texture grs_bay_shadow.png to grs_bay.png, then you can comment out the remaining materials entry as well. We'll rename it for the next version too. This is a oversight on my side - I've created quite a few different textures for it with different lighting situations and simply forgotten to change the name back. The change makes it easier for all of us .-)
Wildeblood wrote:
SandJ wrote:

There's no excuse for that.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 80#p142925
Pesky apostrophe trumbles... <mumbles something about a never ending story> .-)