Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Help with Project

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

rabidvixen
Above Average
Above Average

Help with Project

Post by rabidvixen »

I'm back - and I'm sorry for the wait.

I'm putting together a new Longhaul Outpost (LHO) site and part of the site will be a emulated Cobra MK III interface, bridge and console system. However, one problem has presented itself ... I cannot get my original BBC Elite to work with my pcBBC emulator under Windows XP, so I am unable to get certain screens to finish the project.

I would like to ask if somebody can get GIF format files of the main interface displays, including the galactic and local charts and the information on the Diso System from the original BBC version for me so I can emulate those displays properly. You can send said image files in a zipped package to [email protected] if at all possible. Thanks!
Berihn Shipping: We get it there ... eventually.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Dunno about the BBC version, but a nice Speccy online version is here:

http://www.spectrum.lovely.net/Elite.html

Hi Jannah. Didn't know you frequented these boards.
rabidvixen
Above Average
Above Average

Post by rabidvixen »

Yes, I frequent these boards - well, I try too but my bandwidth is extremely limited and I do have a whole StatGov to run as well. Nobody ever said that being a SysOp was easy! I managed to reload my PC with Windows 98se to run pcBBC and classic Acornsoft Elite (for the Master 128) and Frontier: Elite II so I can get back to the black as my copy of Windows XP Pro is so frelled up that it will not run either of these classic programs without some form of additional emulation.

So, you happy spacers - I've now got the classic Elite interface screens I wanted right from the original source! Thanks anyway!
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

Hi there there's an OpenGL version of FE2 that runs on XP perfectly on Alioth.net's frontiernews. You can start there till you get your emulation running right if you really gotta have your Elite fix.
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by stevesims »

Interesting snippit - maybe...

I went to the same school with the bloke that wrote pcBBC - he was several years ahead of me, maybe as many as 5. He's a smart guy - there wasn't much that he couldn't get a BBC Micro to do if he put his mind to it. One of the things he did was disassemble Acorn's Econet Level 2 Server software and write in a bunch of new admin-oriented commands - so our school network ran a kind-of Econet Level 2.5 system.

Another thing he did was persuade the BBC Micro Disc version of Elite to be playable from an Econet file server. One of my fond memories of school is a room full of 16 BBC Model B machines all running Elite. :-)

Coincidentally a few years ahead of him at the school was Andy Green, who went on to drive Thrust SSC.

Sorry - rambling again. Note to self - must not have beer at lunch.
rabidvixen
Above Average
Above Average

Post by rabidvixen »

Regards Stuart McConnachie- wow! I know that he was smart (and why oh why won't he update pcBBC to run under Windows XP) but that is utterly amazing. As for the Open GL version of Frontier: Elite 2, I've downloaded it and tried it, but two problems arose. One: the game did not seem quite finished, and my understanding is that it is a work in progress, and Two: I play Acornsoft Elite and Frontier with the keyboard, and have never owned a joystick so I'm stuck in my ways. This Open GL version (which is nice) needs to be updated graphically and with keyboard control options before I could play - and I suspect, other Commanders could play it as well.

As for me - I'm currently re-designing and re-writing my site, Longhaul Outpost (LHO) from the keel up and am being ably assisted by another very generous Elite Era commander, and if you've into graphics, you're gonna love it!