Oolite keyboard and key assignment issue.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oolite keyboard and key assignment issue.

Post by Gimi »

I have been looking into changing the key assignments for my game lately and in that process I ended up making a keyboard map for Oolite to get a better overview of free keys and how everything is laid out.

As a result I think I have (re)discovered some discrepancies. (Difference in functionality between Oolite and documentation on the Wiki and the QR sheet).

Oolite versions tested. 1.75.3 test release and 1.75.4 build 4625

As far as I can find out the Home key does not work under windows. (Functionality should be, move cursor to current system when in chart view). This has only been tested under Windows 7 on three separate computer, but CaptSolo has observed the same thing here.
The home key does exist in keyconfig.plist.

Second issue concerns Map Dump which should be assigned to ! ( [shift] 1) according to the Wiki.
This does not seem to work either. I'm not even sure what it does, but as far as I can see, nothing is saved in the log or anywhere else. ! does not exist in keyconfig.plist.

Can anyone enlighten me. Also, if anyone can confirm whether these work on Mac and/or in Linux.
Last edited by Gimi on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Oolite keyboard and key assignment issue.

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi wrote:
Second issue concerns Map Dump which should be assigned to ! ( [shift] 1) according to the Wiki.
This does not seem to work either. I'm not even sure what it does, but as far as I can see, nothing is saved in the log or anywhere else. ! does not exist in keyconfig.plist.

Can anyone enlighten me. Also, if anyone can confirm whether these work on Mac and/or in Linux.
The Map Dump was removed after Oolite 1.65. I don't know why but it was on purpose and no bug.
Gimi wrote:
I'm not even sure what it does.
It used to make these charts
Last edited by Eric Walch on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Good catch on the Home key. It is a mistake in the default keyconfig.plist. The keycode should be 303, not 302. Will fixxor.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Eric Walch wrote:
The Map Dump was removed after Oolite 1.65. I don't know why but it was on purpose and no bug.
Ok, thank you. Wiki needs updating then. If it's straight forward and no html coding I will have a crack at it tonight.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
Good catch on the Home key. It is a mistake in the default keyconfig.plist. The keycode should be 303, not 302. Will fixxor.
Thank you. I can pretty much confirm that every other key combination documented on the Wiki or in the QR-sheet works. I think I have tried them all in every view I can imagine. I will publish the keyboard maps I have made when they are finished. Might be an Ok supplement to the more detailed explanations in the QR-sheet for some players.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Slightly related... the Oolite reference sheet pdf still has no key specified for the 'weapons lock-down' toggle.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Slightly related... the Oolite reference sheet pdf still has no key specified for the 'weapons lock-down' toggle.
True, it only has a placement for it. I found that assignment on the bb as it is also not documented on the Wiki.

And another thing while we are discussing key assignments. The Wiki has "t" when paused to enable on-the-fly generation of planet textures (Debug feature). I assume this is no longer relevant, or?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Also slightly related: the reference sheet still mentions the key pair o/n to switch hud on/off. However, it is since 1.75 only the 'o' key that toggles the HUD. (And in trunk this key can even be modified)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Eric Walch wrote:
the 'o' key that toggles the HUD. (And in trunk this key can even be modified)
If modified, does it still require pause first, in order to hide the hud in trunk?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Gimi wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
True, it only has a placement for it. I found that assignment on the bb as it is also not documented on the Wiki.
There must be something wrong with my Acrobat Reader. I can clearly see the underscore displayed as the key for weapons lock down.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
Gimi wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
There must be something wrong with my Acrobat Reader. I can clearly see the underscore displayed as the key for weapons lock down.
Nope, something wrong with mine (PDF-XChange Viewer). I had to zoom in to see it. The line is so thin it disappeared.

Edit: Also, does not show when I print. I think it needs to be made "bold" when the QR-sheet is updated.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Crikey, you're right... at 400% it becomes visible!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Eric Walch wrote:
Also slightly related: the reference sheet still mentions the key pair o/n to switch hud on/off. However, it is since 1.75 only the 'o' key that toggles the HUD. (And in trunk this key can even be modified)
Fixed in r4626.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Both with MacPreview and Acrobat Reader 9.4, I see:
Gimi wrote:
Also, does not show when I print. I think it needs to be made "bold" when the QR-sheet is updated.
It is already boldface, I checked with the course file. I remember that this visibility problem was also internally discussed and A_C made it boldface. Maybe 9 pt size instead of 8 pt? Or another font that has a wider line by default?

When opening the source I get the message for these characters that this font (DejaVu Sans ?) is unknown on my computer and the closest matching font will be used. That already can mean that my computer uses a different font than elsewhere and explains the visibility between systems.

EDIT: maybe change the font for this underscore to "Aria Bold" as this is one of the default fonts of the Mac and I think also for Windows. Looking at this character for all kind of fonts in my system, I see that the font Courier also has this character thicker than the average font.

I also see that there exist two different characters that are similar. "Combining low line": ̲ with Unicode '0332' and "Low line": _ with unicode '005F'. ..... While typing I see that both characters show different in the browser than on my character list. I wanted to suggest to use the other as that seemed thicker, but with the browser font the other is thicker, so that seems no option to guarantee a better visibility on all systems.