Studio scale Star Destroyer

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Studio scale Star Destroyer

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Those guys have a real passion for modelling. :)
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's amazing for a home project - I'd have been pleased with his first attempt 3-footer!

(The closest I've managed is a heavily modified Ertl Star Trek V'orcha and an Enterprise-D that I added my own fibre optic lighting rig to (in the days before superbright LEDs - would make a much better job of it nowadays!)

My wife took me to a Star Wars exhibition at the Barbican several years ago - they had one of the original LF ISDs there - complete with model soldiers pressed into the detailing... (I plan on looking for them on the Blu-Ray version of the films!)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Ooo lots of fun stuff here! A little light on tutorials as far as I can see. I'm seeing some solid costume work ie ironman would be nice to know what they used to form the raw shapes.

Paper? Seriously? Reinforced with fibreglass and/or resin? Origami just got cool.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/what-pepakura-86445/

I can see this as a really useful way of getting big shapes sorted without moulding.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Paper and card are the best modelling materials EVER. Cheap to buy and you can download templates and patterns everywhere.

You want a paper star destroyer? Clicky! (PDF files)

1/1 scale paper models are getting quite popular. There are templates out there for life size anime figures, stormtroopers, superheroes and so on. A mate of mine has built a life size Boba Fett helmet. The same guy downloaded a 1/24 scale Formula 1 car and upscaled it to a beautiful 1/12 scale car which now sits on his pride of place shelf.

Making a usable 1/1 scale helmet is easy. Just make the model from card then line the inside and outside with fibreglass resin or even a few coatings of PVA glue or spray lacquer.

I just finished designing a template for a 1/1 scale gun. Still testing the template but will be making it available online for free once it's done. I started building a 1/1 scale pulse rifle from Aliens a couple of years ago, but as usual never finished it.

Somewhere on my multitude of portable hard drives I have the templates for some Elite ships that I made with Wings3D from the Oolite models. Similar idea to the templates that were on the Mackayj.doosh website.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Now I knew that people could do lacquered paper for paper models and come out with something quite cool. I didn't know that people were trying the equivalent of paper caboli using resin/fibreglass instead of wax!

This opens a hornets nest of model making and costume possibilities. Kevlar geek armour sir? Suits you sir!
Selezen wrote:
Paper and card are the best modelling materials EVER. Cheap to buy and you can download templates and patterns everywhere.

You want a paper star destroyer? Clicky! (PDF files)

1/1 scale paper models are getting quite popular. There are templates out there for life size anime figures, stormtroopers, superheroes and so on. A mate of mine has built a life size Boba Fett helmet. The same guy downloaded a 1/24 scale Formula 1 car and upscaled it to a beautiful 1/12 scale car which now sits on his pride of place shelf.

Making a usable 1/1 scale helmet is easy. Just make the model from card then line the inside and outside with fibreglass resin or even a few coatings of PVA glue or spray lacquer.

I just finished designing a template for a 1/1 scale gun. Still testing the template but will be making it available online for free once it's done. I started building a 1/1 scale pulse rifle from Aliens a couple of years ago, but as usual never finished it.

Somewhere on my multitude of portable hard drives I have the templates for some Elite ships that I made with Wings3D from the Oolite models. Similar idea to the templates that were on the Mackayj.doosh website.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Inspired by this thread, I spent lunchtime making a paper model of the Icarus from Starglider 2

(From this OXP)

The template is done, but it needs a folding guide - once that's done I'll be posting it on my paper model site for download.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i've got the paper templated for the M41 Pulse Rifle, been dying to print it out and assemble it at work :-D
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i've got the paper templated for the M41 Pulse Rifle, been dying to print it out and assemble it at work :-D
You aren't a postal worker by chance are you? :lol:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Killer Wolf wrote:
I finished the handle, trigger and magazine assembly, and it went together beautifully. The magazine even slides in and out without catching or sticking!

It took me two weeks to build that bit out of five sheets of card (in think), then my mate gave me 40 more sheets for the rest of the gun. I got scared.

I once made an original trek phaser out of card completely from scratch. No templates or anything. I think I traced the outline from the plans in the Star Fleet Technical Manual and drew it onto a cereal box. I still have it somewhere, I'm sure.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Sorry to double post, but as promised here's the Icarus paper model for you to download (click on the image):

It's plain white, so you can draw or paint anything you like on it. If you want to paint it, my advice is to give the finished model two light coats of a spray varnish of some type before applying paint.

Print on at least 210gsm card. :-)