Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

graphics card suggestions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

graphics card suggestions

Post by Commander Trigg »

I'm in the market for a cheap new graphics card that will hopefully allow me to play oolite with the enhanced details and shaders so I can see all the pretty eye candy type stuff.

At the moment my computer has an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb, so it's pretty basic. I've seen a few different cards available on ebay for around £25 - £30 but I have absolutely no idea what to go for. Could one of you wonderful techy people throw me some suggestions?
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: graphics card suggestions

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander Trigg wrote:
I'm in the market for a cheap new graphics card that will hopefully allow me to play oolite with the enhanced details and shaders so I can see all the pretty eye candy type stuff.

At the moment my computer has an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 128mb, so it's pretty basic. I've seen a few different cards available on ebay for around £25 - £30 but I have absolutely no idea what to go for. Could one of you wonderful techy people throw me some suggestions?
I presume you're still on AGP then - new AGP cards are getting rare and quite expensive - for what they are - I've seen AGP 6200s for as low as about £17 (256MB) - they'll work with shaders - they're just not very quick.

I'd recommend Nvidia over ATI - I really don't like ATIs drivers (OpenGL has never been very good in my opinion/experience) or their support/forums (as others have reported in the past - AMD admins tend to delete awkward to answer posts from their support forums)

Let me know what your max spend is - and I'll have a fish around.

As a start (on what you're getting for your money) - if you want to compare a couple of card's Horse Power - you could do worse than looking here: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'd recommend Nvidia over ATI - I really don't like ATIs drivers (OpenGL has never been very good in my opinion/experience) or their support/forums (as others have reported in the past - AMD admins tend to delete awkward to answer posts from their support forums)
I must second all of that... I was a long-suffering ATI user until very recently.... nVidia, definitely!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Ouch! Just looked on Ebuyer - the 6200s have gone up a lot in price (doubled in fact) c. £36 - so this would be a much better bet: http://www.ebuyer.com/222279-inno3d-760 ... 00gt-h4f3c

About 4x faster than a 6200 for another tenner...

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php ... &card2=435
Selezen wrote:
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

This isn't my main computer so I'm not looking at spending too much on it. The motherboard is a "Shuttle inc SN45V10" so it has a pci slot too, although since it's in a micro case, fitting a pci gfx card in could be an issue.

I've found a 6200 on ebay with a starting price of £8 that I'm watching, hopefully I'll get home from work in time to make a last second bid on it.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Commander Trigg wrote:
This isn't my main computer so I'm not looking at spending too much on it. The motherboard is a "Shuttle inc SN45V10" so it has a pci slot too, although since it's in a micro case, fitting a pci gfx card in could be an issue.

I've found a 6200 on ebay with a starting price of £8 that I'm watching, hopefully I'll get home from work in time to make a last second bid on it.
Oh dear - be careful!

PCI != PCI-E!!!!!

PCI is the old interface used by sound cards and the like.

PCI-Express is the replacement for AGP - so do you mean PCI or PCI-E?
Selezen wrote:
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Lucky escape there then, I was just reading from the MB specs. Looks like I'm sticking with AGP then