Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Question about pirates

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Stormy
Average
Average

Question about pirates

Post by Stormy »

Hi there, I am new to Oolite. I used to play Elite on the C64 and Amiga and I found Oolite when I was googling for Elite. I love it, or well I did until now because I get my ass handed to me :lol: I was wondering if it is normal that pirates change condition from red to yellow. I got fugitive status because of that and now the coppers keep killing me and my puny pulse laser :lol:
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Question about pirates

Post by Disembodied »

Stormy wrote:
Hi there, I am new to Oolite. I used to play Elite on the C64 and Amiga and I found Oolite when I was googling for Elite. I love it, or well I did until now because I get my ass handed to me :lol: I was wondering if it is normal that pirates change condition from red to yellow. I got fugitive status because of that and now the coppers keep killing me and my puny pulse laser :lol:
Hi Stormy, and welcome to the boards! Pirates can indeed change from red (hostile) to yellow (not hostile), if someone else shoots them and distracts them from their attack on you. But red or yellow, if they're genuine pirates, then it's OK to shoot them and it won't affect your legal status. What might have happened is that you accidentally shot someone who wasn't a pirate, i.e. who was legally Clean, and that will get you on GalCop's naughty list. What you need, before entering combat effectively – apart from at least a better laser and an ECM – is a Scanner Targeting Enhancement, which amongst other things will accurately display a targeted ship's legal status ...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Stormy, and welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat.
Pirates will go from red to yellow on the scanner if they lose target on you, or choose another target, but they are still offenders or fugitive, so can be shot with impunity.
I'm afraid you must have accidentally shot a civvy, or even a cop to get your fugitive status.
After a few jumps you'll be clean again, but you'll have to be careful until then!

<Edit> Ninja'd a bit :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Stormy
Average
Average

Post by Stormy »

Thank you for your quick response. Will keep that in mind. I am generating money for all those upgrades, I just got me a large cargo bay. I just have to shake off offender status, because I only have one savegame. Really dumb, I know, I was just too caught up in the game to think about that. Oh well.
One day I'll fly away.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Ha, some lessons have to be learnt the hard way.
Save often, and if you're really in trouble, don't save. Find some pirates, die a good death in glorious combat, and go back to your last (good) save.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Stormy
Average
Average

Post by Stormy »

Maybe I should get a fuelscoop and avoid spacestations until I am clean again.
One day I'll fly away.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Stormy wrote:
Maybe I should get a fuelscoop and avoid spacestations until I am clean again.
Good idea ... if you can afford it, get some heat shielding too!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Greetings,
Also remember that when you come into a system.. take a tangent of about 30 degrees, left or right for about 12 seconds, then head into the navigation beacon... this will get you off the main corridor and will usually have clean sailing without interference from most pilots out there.... then you can make money without your tail being handed to you on a plate.

Good Sailing and good hunting
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Disembodied wrote:
What you need, before entering combat effectively – apart from at least a better laser and an ECM – is a Scanner Targeting Enhancement, which amongst other things will accurately display a targeted ship's legal status ...
But also to show the ships leagal status you need to get a [wiki]Bounty_Scanner[/wiki].

Also a really cool place to get some kit, missions and in lots of commanders opinions, Eye Candy such as [wiki]Griff_Industries[/wiki]. You can get them all Here.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hi Stormy,

Welcome aboard!
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Stormy
Average
Average

Post by Stormy »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Greetings,
Also remember that when you come into a system.. take a tangent of about 30 degrees, left or right for about 12 seconds, then head into the navigation beacon... this will get you off the main corridor and will usually have clean sailing without interference from most pilots out there.... then you can make money without your tail being handed to you on a plate.

Good Sailing and good hunting
What do you know, that is exactly what I did when I used to be in trouble in Elite a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away :lol: Totally forgot, thanks for the reminder!

Fatleaf wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
What you need, before entering combat effectively – apart from at least a better laser and an ECM – is a Scanner Targeting Enhancement, which amongst other things will accurately display a targeted ship's legal status ...
But also to show the ships leagal status you need to get a [wiki]Bounty_Scanner[/wiki].

Also a really cool place to get some kit, missions and in lots of commanders opinions, Eye Candy such as [wiki]Griff_Industries[/wiki]. You can get them all Here.
Eye candy is the first thing I went for after an hour or so of play. I started with Griff's ships, which I like. Then I tried System Demux 2, which I did not like that much so I switched to Deep Horizons Systems which looks great. Cannot wait for the ultra high resolution textures pack! I also have another HUD but I am not too happy with it, so I will be looking.

PS: Thanks for the warm welcome!
One day I'll fly away.