Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Anybody know where I could find a Star Trek Enterprise model

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Anybody know where I could find a Star Trek Enterprise model

Post by RyanHoots »

As a Trekkie, I would like to add the Enterprise (and other Federation ships) to my Ooniverse. I have tracked down an image of a constitution class ship, and to some extent the OXP, but there is no download link and the OXP is broken. Here is the image: http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk47 ... te-016.jpg.
Does anybody know where I can get the OXP it comes in, the Realistic Shipyards (I think), or at least the model and texture for the ship? Thanks.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Anybody know where I could find a Star Trek Enterprise m

Post by DaddyHoggy »

RyanHoots wrote:
As a Trekkie, I would like to add the Enterprise (and other Federation ships) to my Ooniverse. I have tracked down an image of a constitution class ship, and to some extent the OXP, but there is no download link and the OXP is broken. Here is the image: http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk47 ... te-016.jpg.
Does anybody know where I can get the OXP it comes in, the Realistic Shipyards (I think), or at least the model and texture for the ship? Thanks.
Odd isn't it, as a Trekkie I don't want Trek in my Ooniverse, I find their ideologies completely non-compatible... (Runabouts - would be OK to look at - as they're quite shuttle like - but other than that...)

However, re: the Constitution model, there is a story there... It was originally modelled by Charlie (I think) who was pushing the boundaries to bursting even back as far as 1.65 and it mostly didn't work. Lestradae then "fixed" the Constitution when he was sucking everything into RS. He then sought and was granted permission to use said ship in RS (during the build-up to the great licensing rift).

Oddly enough I do have a copy of the fixed Constitution somewhere on one of my machines - I was converting/replacing it's texture to use glow and normal maps - just to see what it looked like not to actually put in the game as an entity and certainly not release as an OXP.

Anyway, can I suggest you PM Lestradae first since the fixed Constitution is his to give away not mine, he's not on the board much, but he does still answer his PMs (or he did last time I PM'd him). If you get nowhere - let me know and I'll start too look for the oxp and initiate hand-wringing over whether I can give it to you. I'll also try and find the original PM Lestradae sent me when he gave me the model to see if I can give it away...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Odd isn't it, as a Trekkie I don't want Trek in my Ooniverse, I find their ideologies completely non-compatible... (Runabouts - would be OK to look at - as they're quite shuttle like - but other than that...)
I'm the same. I like to keep my sci-fi universes separate. I'm quite happy to have ships from other versions of Elite, even if I haven't played them and completely ignore their backstory (ie the Frontier ones), or include ships I know nothing about. But for me each universe has its own character, its own history, and I don't like the idea of them mixing.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I'm the same. I like to keep my sci-fi universes separate. I'm quite happy to have ships from other versions of Elite, even if I haven't played them and completely ignore their backstory (ie the Frontier ones), or include ships I know nothing about. But for me each universe has its own character, its own history, and I don't like the idea of them mixing.
Like milk and beer....Blehhh! :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
I think mixing is OK, but I wouldn't go to the extent of making Ferderation ships commonplace. Probably just a player ship for when I feel like boldly going where no man has ever gone before.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Anyway, can I suggest you PM Lestradae first since the fixed Constitution is his to give away not mine, he's not on the board much, but he does still answer his PMs (or he did last time I PM'd him). If you get nowhere - let me know and I'll start too look for the oxp and initiate hand-wringing over whether I can give it to you. I'll also try and find the original PM Lestradae sent me when he gave me the model to see if I can give it away...
Okay, I'll start there. Thank you for your help.

Also, I am considering trying to model the Constitution class starship myself. My plan would be to make it a Behemoth sized ship, with a docking bay. I could even use Worms for shuttlecraft...
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It's a very personal thing, your own Ooniverse. I only permit Elite ships (all versions, so for example I have the Copperhead installed) or ships which clearly are derived from Elite ships. I certainly won't 'contaminate' my Ooniverse with, say, Frontier ships, and the thought of coming across the Enterprise just makes me shudder. :shock:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Smivs wrote:
...the thought of coming across the Enterprise just makes me shudder. :shock:
"Uh, captain, we have seemed to come across an interdimensional wormhole. Should we enter?"
"Sulu, I think we are duty-bound to see what's on the other side. Full impulse power."
"Entering."
[Lights fade, ship enters turbulence, red shirts are thrown around the room.]
"We have made it captain."
"Good. Any damage?"
"No sir. All decks report fine."
[On a Cobra Mk. 3]
"What is that?! It's huge!"
"Captain, it says 'Enterprise' on the hull. Should we try to contact this 'Enterpise'?"
"No. Let's get outta here!"
:lol:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

RyanHoots wrote:
Smivs wrote:
"Uh, captain, we have seemed to come across an interdimensional wormhole. Should we enter?"
"Sulu, I think we are duty-bound to see what's on the other side. Full impulse power."
"Entering."
"Good. Any damage?"
[On a Cobra Mk. 3]
"Captain, it says 'Enterprise' on the hull. Should we try to contact this 'Enterpise'?"
And of course size in another big issue - since the dimensions of the Enterprise (all varieties) are well documented - you'll discover that, as your intent, you will have to massively upscale to give you the dimensional proportions you require/desire in the Ooniverse.
Selezen wrote:
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
RyanHoots wrote:
Smivs wrote:
"Entering."
"Good. Any damage?"
[On a Cobra Mk. 3]
And of course size in another big issue - since the dimensions of the Enterprise (all varieties) are well documented - you'll discover that, as your intent, you will have to massively upscale to give you the dimensional proportions you require/desire in the Ooniverse.
Yeah, the hard part will be getting the model to be the right size. But at least it will be fun to fly in a Constitution class ship. I could build Oolite from source, again, but make it so that the Enterprise is the only ship there, for sightseeing. I could have System Redux, as well.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

RyanHoots wrote:
Yeah, the hard part will be getting the model to be the right size. But at least it will be fun to fly in a Constitution class ship. I could build Oolite from source, again, but make it so that the Enterprise is the only ship there, for sightseeing. I could have System Redux, as well.
Not much fun - it will be too big to dock and save-anywhere doesn't work in the new versions of Oolite...
Selezen wrote:
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
RyanHoots wrote:
Not much fun - it will be too big to dock and save-anywhere doesn't work in the new versions of Oolite...
Who says I need to dock? Besides, there might not even be stations if I don't want them. I could never turn my computer off, and I could pause the game when I'm done. But it's a laptop, and it would have to be off SOME of the time. :(
Maybe I'll just head back to lave when I'm done and say mission complete (or use savefile hacking).

Edit: Wait! I just got an idea! I could use the Superhub (which looks almost like a spacedock) as the main station at EVERY planet (IF the Enterprise fits in one)! :D
RyanHoots
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RyanHoots »

Still no reply. :?
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ugh, I have a copy of realistic shipyards, and had a look at the constitution class, It's a real mess, extracting it from RS into its own OXP would be a real nightmare, would be far easier to start over imo.
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I think the consensus is that you've lost your ever-loving mind, Ryan.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

I've had one of my trademark changes of minds, and went and dug up Charlies enterprise model parts, combined them into a single model, removed some nasties, and generally polished it up.

Here's a wings file of the result, since no documentation of the original exists I can't verify any licensing exists, and if there's no record of a license, there is no license.
and since it technically doesn't belong to either Charlie or Lestradae anyway but to Gene Roddenberry's family/estate/whatever I'm posting it as a parody and a modders resource.

Enjoy.

http://www.box.net/shared/25jjmlugqink2a00mxy2

Edit: I should point out that it's not textured/UV mapped, and you'd need Wings3D to open it.