Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

tech level 1

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Re: tech level 1

Post by jimb »

Smivs wrote:
jimb wrote:
come to think of it how did you know what system I am using!

Spooky
Not really, it's in the log. :D
OK, I guesed it might be that but it ia a VERY long time since I posted my log, is it archived somewhere?

The other point, I googled tread optomize etc and even found the nvidia help, but it was insufficiently precise (simple) for me to understand how to toggle it.

I went through control panel; nvidia manager etc.... and searched for thread op ... but drew a blank.

A bit more advice would be appreciated.

Don't know what it's like up north but roght now we got incredible cloud formation to the south, east and west over Bedfordshire.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm an ATI user, but I think it should be here in your GFX settings, jimb: Manage 3D settings > Global Settings > Threaded optimization OFF.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

jimb wrote:
A bit more advice would be appreciated.
As El Viejo has pointed out .-)
NVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Global Settings -> Threaded Optimization
Make sure you are in Advanced View (check under the View menu). Otherwise these settings are not shown.

Or take a look at these piccies -> https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 4&start=27
jimb wrote:
This random crash often happens with NO user input at all, more like a stack overflow or bad connection. but ONLY with Oolite
The threaded optimization is not related to user input and the CTDs (crash to desktop) that are related to the threaded optimization are not Oolite exclusive and can happen anytime (at least it seems so) in applications which are using threading.

The 'funny' bit is that NVidia and Intel always stated that it's the other companies fault. A search will give you a lot of hits, but most of the posts are only 'I have CTDs'. Back in 2010 I've spent nearly a week to find some tech-infos about this problem. Unfortunately without finding a real solution.

It seems that OpenGL applications are mostly affected, maybe due to the poor POSIX support under XP. Switching the optimization off for these apps via profile has solved it completely on my machine. But still - it's only a wild guess.
jimb
Above Average
Above Average

Post by jimb »

Hi everyone,

Same problems with the crasshing, I have now got V 1.75.2 but still get un- accountavle crashes.

ALSO

my docking compter has stopped working, it says it is there but no function at all.

I have opened the save file in Notepad, (OK?) but it is not formated OK.

Can I search for anything relevant to docking and check functionality. Or anything else for that matter.

In spite of it all, my score is now 2546 in G2, but still no new missions!

Best wishes,

Jim
Dustin542
Average
Average

Post by Dustin542 »

jimb wrote:
my docking compter has stopped working, it says it is there but no function at all.
The key press for that has changed from shift+D to shift+C sometime after an update.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Commander McLane wrote:
Also about random crashes:

It is generally advisable to use the latest version of Oolite (currently 1.75.2). If a bug in Oolite 1.74.2 is responsible for your crashes, there is a good chance that it has already been fixed in one of the more recent versions.
Hi Cmdr Jimb,
Hope you enjoy the chatter in a friendy board.
I've had fixed many problems with my Ooniverse here. Friendly and fast to address game problems.

I also use XP in window mode. 1.74.2 Was horrendouslyriffic for bugs. Instant crashing to desk was often.
Whilst these 'thargy bugs' were being eliminated, I'd just re load an older version. Where I could go after the bugs without a re-set!

You may have noticed there is a Cmdr. Thargoid.
Don't mistake that Cmdr. for a bug.
Not if you like your ship! In more than molecular bits that is.

Oolite has been and probably will keep evolving faster than Elite. Elite lost it for me when they went Newtonian.
Apparently there's an Elite 4? on the go??
Only heard about that when I started playing Oolite. That was a few years ago, No Elite 4 even mantioned as a new game yet.

So update your base game to anything above 1.74 into the .75's, I lost all the screen crashies then.

Though the screen changes between system and docking take a lot longer.
I recon that is coz my TDM (This Damn Machine) is quite slow in match to what the guys that write the progs is.
None of that has changed the game play, I have to have 'min' shaders, and less detail to keep my flight seem seemless.

Remember;
This game is mostly Imagination.
Without that there is no game.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!