Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How many OXPs can one install

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

How many OXPs can one install

Post by CmdrGumbo »

I'm just curious: is there a limit on how many OXPs one can install? I've started weeks ago with a plain Oolite setup and added more and more eye candy and missions. Is that okay or are there OXPs that shouldn't get mixed with others?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: How many OXPs can one install

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I think the only real limit is how long are you prepared to wait for Oolite to start each time and how powerful is your machine (each OXP takes a finite amount of time to process) the more OXPs the more chance of slow downs.

In practical terms some OXPs really don't work together either at all, by design or because they are contradictory in what they do.

I've seen OXP lists in logs which list in excess of 100 oxps.

PS A well written OXP should contain in the zip-file (a well written OXP won't have this file inside the OXP directory otherwise Mac users will never see it) a readme file which states which OXPs it doesn't play nicely with.

For example - if you install Simon B's ships and Griff's ships but have them both to be the default set then you will only ever see one because whichever loads last wins out!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There are also various mission OXPs which take place in specific galaxies – for example, there's no point in having Assassins installed until you reach Galaxy 7.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

I think I had 153 when it started crashing all the time, so I removed them all and started over...
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I normally have around 15 :wink: plus any WIPs I'm working on.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CmdrGumbo
Competent
Competent

Post by CmdrGumbo »

Well, I have 58 OXPs installed, most of it being ambience / ship addons but also some missions: random hits, ionics and galactic navy. My favourite ambiance OXPs are: Snoopers, YAH (brilliant idea!), Tianve and Famous Planets. You OXP coders really are creative! ;)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Creative? Us?? Impossible!!! :P
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

About the only combination that's likely to cause conflicts is having different versions of the same OXP installed at once.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Switeck wrote:
About the only combination that's likely to cause conflicts is having different versions of the same OXP installed at once.
And yet I gave a perfectly good example a few posts ago of a potential conflict that's nothing to do with multiple versions of the same OXP :roll:

And didn't Farsun and/or Orbits cause issues with station and/or object placement in some OXPs?
Selezen wrote:
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
For example - if you install Simon B's ships and Griff's ships but have them both to be the default set then you will only ever see one because whichever loads last wins out!
not quite, if you remove the shipyard-overrides and the shipdata-overrides from the config folder in the griff shipset you can run both of them (I do)
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Staer9 wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
not quite, if you remove the shipyard-overrides and the shipdata-overrides from the config folder in the griff shipset you can run both of them (I do)
I know that, but given how many times the question "How do I see Neolite/Deepspace/Sung/Griff ships as well as Neolite/Deepspace/Sung/Griff ships" or some variant thereof, it doesn't happen out of the box (in fact specifically designed NOT to happen out of the box) - so I raised it as a conflict because until you make the change it is a conflict.
Selezen wrote:
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

I am running at least 149 oxps on my netbook and haven't had any problems with it taking excessive amounts of time loading. I am running the graphics on reduced detail to prevent hangups, when I jump in system or when I encounter heavy traffic along the witch-point.
DrMotorsage
Average
Average

Post by DrMotorsage »

So after going through the OXP list, I settled on a nice ~100ish chunk of OXP's. The game started alright, no noticeable delay in loading and ran as smoothly as without the OXP's (i5, 6GB, ATI5850HD, Win7-64bit, so it was kind of expected), but kept crashing constantly, without any discernible logic. Which was suprising since "vanilla" Oolite seemed extremely stable and has not crashed on me once. Then I threw out all the non-random "plot" mission OXPs (looking at the log, especially the Lovecats mission loved to spam it with lengthy error messages, which was the reason for my suspicions - and I was still at galaxy 1), and the game stabilized somewhat, still at 100+ OXP's.

Now it seems to crash only after I have survived a particularly tough fight and gotten good loot and bounties out of that. Also, crashes often tend to happen after I have died and reloaded, or visited an OXP dockable object. Usually they happen at the moment of docking at a main station, so I still suspect some random mission OXP or one related to the stations. Only problem is... I do not have the patience to test one by one which mod is the one that causes the crashes, and nostalgia aside, don't feel like playing "vanilla" Oolite. :( Oh well. Back to staring at the logs, looking for hints of the troublemaking OXP.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Commies usually cause CTD in my computer, I don't know if it is the same one causing you problems.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If you post a list of your OXPs (the one in the beginning of your log will suffice), we could perhaps tell you which OXPs are likely the culprit. Generally, Oolite shouldn't crash at all, neither without nor with OXPs.