Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Creative-Writing Software

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Creative-Writing Software

Post by maaarcooose »

drew wrote:
I've gone over to the dark side. I'm using Word 2010 on my new laptop. Sorry, it rocks. :oops:

Cheers,

Drew.
If it gets the job done and you like it, why the hell not.

I recently became OS agnostic and find I get work done now instead of fixing problems with my install (I have win, macos & linux triple booting on my lappy).
When I've got a spare £1200 I might buy a mac book pro, but until then windows and word will do just fine for me. If I could do everything I want to do a quickly and as trouble free on Linux as I can on Windows I would use it all the time, but after many (getting on for 18 now) years of linux use I find windows gets the job done better for most things.

Christ, I feel like I'm becoming a social pariah just by saying this.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

funny, after 14 years of Dos / windows use and 6 years of linux use i feel exactly the opposite.

Since 5 years i only run Windows in a VM on my main linux rig ( about 4 times a year ) for those rare occasions where i really need windows-only stuff.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

Hey - very new to writing stories, but I just use Word 97! Have done for many essays/songs/reports!

As for character development, I just scribbled profiles/motivations/ideas down in a scrap book. Nothing fancy.

Did draw up a couple of nice-ish plans for the ships I'd be using (so I could visualize the area crew were working in etc). Quite funny, with that: on crossing the border from Jordan-Israel last year, a security officer pulled out of my bag a plan of a Cobra (along with drawings of missiles) and looked a little concerned! Explained to him that it was " 'Star Trek' sorta stuff", and he laughed and let it go! Little worried with that, for a bit, though... Very Strict there...
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I do a LOT of fiction writing (two completed books, six WIPs), and I mainly use OpenOffice.org. I hate Word (especially 2007/2010), though I do have both 2000 and 2010 on hand. If I'm on my Mac, I use Jer's Novel Writer
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pansen »

To be honest, I really haven't given software much of a thought - most of the stuff I've done recently (mainly writing lyrics up for my band) hasn't really required all that much other than a very basic word-processor.

You're obviously way more experienced on the whole writing thing, though: I'd like to do more, soon: what are the main advantages of alternative packages when it comes to writing stories?
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

It really depends on your personal needs. The main reason to get a special writing program, instead of using a word processor, is just the simplicity. When it comes to actual editing and rewriting, you'll need the word processor, making the special program only good for first drafts. In the end, it is usually best to go exclusively with a word processor.

I advise either Word or OpenOffice.org (the latter is free). Most authors, publishers, agents, and editors work almost exclusively with .doc format. Also, both of those programs offer "Track Changes", a VERY useful tool when rewriting.