Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Remapping of keys for a newbie

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Remapping of keys for a newbie

Post by Wildeblood »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Create the AddOns folder here (in .Oolite, not Logs), and paste your edited keyconfig.plist file into the AddOns folder. Any oxps you want to install can be placed here and they hopefully ought to work.
Does the keyconfig.plist go directly under AddOns or into AddOns/Config/ ??
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Jonah Hex wrote:
I'm not sure how to "friend you" in this forum ( I saw in the UCP there are friends and enemies) but you seem to have a very simialr approach to Elite as I do. I am checking your site as we speak. My problem is that frnakly I seem to have a problem understanding HOW to add OXPs and in fact just the problem of changing the trigger to the space bar instead of the a key is stumping me. Story of my life, good trigger finger, small brain.... :)
When you download an OXP you get a .zip file (compressed). Extract (un-zip) it and inside you'll normally find two things, a 'readme' (which I would urge you to read) and a something.oxp folder. This folder should be placed in the AddOns folder for Oolite.
If you follow the installation instructions above somewhere this should be in your home folder, but will be hidden.
In Ubuntu, click on Places, Home folder, then click on View, then Show hidden files. Somewhere in there you will find a .oolite folder. Open that and you'll find AddOns and the Logs.
Hope that works, but come back if you need more help.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Jonah Hex wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
The Linux Distribution-neutral installation details can be found here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9570
Thanks for this, unfortunately it does not help.
I even thought of just adding the directory AddOns to the Resource directory, but it does not let me because once again...I am not the "owner" of the directories/files so can only read them (very frustrating).

I am kind of giving up I have reached the limit of my newb/retard ability in linux to understand how to fix this....
If anyone can help please PM me, I would very much welcome it.
G.
Hmmm...

Given you've not gotten very with this - have you considered uninstalling Oolite and using the Neutral-Distribution install?

To get your "permissions" back you can either use the chmod or chown command.

I'm doing this from memory as my Ubuntu (Jaunty) machine is offline at the moment

Run a terminal window, chdir to the directory above where your .Oolite directory lives and type the following:

sudo chown -R <your_username> .Oolite

sudo because you need to do this with root permissions because you won't have permission to change the ownership (it will ask for YOUR logon password)
chown - the change owner command
-R perform this recursively i.e. on the .Oolite directory, all subdirectories and all files
<your_username> well, it's you who wants to be the new owner, just put your username don't use the < >
.Oolite the directory (and all subdirectories you want to change)

Hope that makes sense?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Post by Jonah Hex »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
In your HOME folder, there should be a hidden folder called .Oolite (can be found by going to View, Show Hidden Files, in the Nautilus menu. Inside that folder there should be a folder called Logs, but most likely not one called AddOns yet. Create the AddOns folder here (in .Oolite, not Logs), and paste your edited keyconfig.plist file into the AddOns folder. Any oxps you want to install can be placed here and they hopefully ought to work.
Yes, thanks, I understand this much, however, unfortunately there is no hidden folder called .oolite in my home folder, only the folder path i have described above and I can't add any directories to the .oolite directory I found there. Is there a way that i can get Ubuntu allow me to add directories to the main .oolite directory?
Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Post by Jonah Hex »

Smivs wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:
I'm not sure how to "friend you" in this forum ( I saw in the UCP there are friends and enemies) but you seem to have a very simialr approach to Elite as I do. I am checking your site as we speak. My problem is that frnakly I seem to have a problem understanding HOW to add OXPs and in fact just the problem of changing the trigger to the space bar instead of the a key is stumping me. Story of my life, good trigger finger, small brain.... :)
When you download an OXP you get a .zip file (compressed). Extract (un-zip) it and inside you'll normally find two things, a 'readme' (which I would urge you to read) and a something.oxp folder. This folder should be placed in the AddOns folder for Oolite.
If you follow the installation instructions above somewhere this should be in your home folder, but will be hidden.
In Ubuntu, click on Places, Home folder, then click on View, then Show hidden files. Somewhere in there you will find a .oolite folder. Open that and you'll find AddOns and the Logs.
Hope that works, but come back if you need more help.

The >oolite folder is not under my home directory (hidden or otherwise). The only one I could find is in the following path:
usr/lib/GNUstep/System/Applications/oolite.app/Contents/Resources/Config

even then I cannot add a directory to anything in this folder or related ones (It doesn't have an AddOns folder so i thought I'd add it, but I can't. nor can I add a different keygonfig.plist file or modify the existing one. Everything is restricted by the fact I am not the "owner" and as such only have reading permissions (I need to explain I am the only user on my computer, but the "ownership" seems to refer to the creator of the files).

Nor do i get a load-up screen that tells me which version of oolite I have running. Sometimes I wish computers had nerve endings. I know I could get mine to work if it did....I can sort of see why Cyberdyne would eventually exist really....
Thank you all for not giving up on me though. I really appreciate the cameradrie of total strangers trying to help me fix my stupidity/weird config problem.
Hex
Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Post by Jonah Hex »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

I even thought of just adding the directory AddOns to the Resource directory, but it does not let me because once again...I am not the "owner" of the directories/files so can only read them (very frustrating).

I am kind of giving up I have reached the limit of my newb/retard ability in linux to understand how to fix this....
G.
Hmmm...

Given you've not gotten very with this - have you considered uninstalling Oolite and using the Neutral-Distribution install?

I'm doing this from memory as my Ubuntu (Jaunty) machine is offline at the moment

Run a terminal window, chdir to the directory above where your .Oolite directory lives and type the following:

sudo because you need to do this with root permissions because you won't have permission to change the ownership (it will ask for YOUR logon password)
-R perform this recursively i.e. on the .Oolite directory, all subdirectories and all files
<your_username> well, it's you who wants to be the new owner, just put your username don't use the < >

Hope that makes sense?

YES! Not only does it make sense, but I have now made some progress...
I can modify the folders. i tried adding the AddOns directory with the changed keyconfig file but it had no effect. I will try a few variations of this (placing the AddOns directory in different places as the tre structure appears to be quite different from the norm (or at least from everyone on here seems to have on their systems) so maybe that will fix it. I will report back when I have done this.

THANK YOU Oh wise linux command line guru....
Hex
kgs
Above Average
Above Average

Post by kgs »

Hi Jonah.

From your description it sounds like you installed Oolite from the Ubuntu software repositories. The last time I checked they were offering a very outdated version of Oolite.

I would suggest that you check what version you are running and uninstall it if need be. You can download the most recent version from the official Oolite website.
thenudehamster
Poor
Poor

Post by thenudehamster »

kgs wrote:
Hi Jonah.

From your description it sounds like you installed Oolite from the Ubuntu software repositories. The last time I checked they were offering a very outdated version of Oolite.

I would suggest that you check what version you are running and uninstall it if need be. You can download the most recent version from the official Oolite website.
I'd concur with kgs, Jonah; it does sound as if you have the (somewhat outdated) v1.65 which is the last stable release, and therefore the latest version hosted in the official repositories. If you read the thread here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10211
you'll find that you're not the only less than Linux savvy newbie here - been there done that, got the explosion scars....
Download the latest version (currently 1.75.2, IIRC) from the Oolite site and install it in accordance with Getafix's wonderfully detailed instructions and you should find that all the advice given above will work beautifully.
BarryH - thenudehamster
(no it's nothing to do with naked pets, it's where I used to live.
Any opinion expressed above is herein warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.
Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Post by Jonah Hex »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:

G.
Hmmm...

Hope that makes sense?

THANK YOU.
It was ultimately this that got me to fix the issue.
I still cannot seem to get it to work by creating a new directory called AddOns, no matter where I place such a directory with the alternate keyconfig file, however...being able to access and modify files etc in the base directory of oolite resouces meant that I changed the original keyconfig file and now the space bar fires my lasers. I don't know what this means in terms of OXP packs, because if I can't get my addons directory to work, I don't think i'll risk adding any. Wish i understood more about linux in general really.
Thanks for your help, yours was the one that did it the most but thanks to everyone else too.
Hex
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

If you've now installed it as per Getafix' instructions the AddOns should be where I suggested, in the 'hidden' home folder files.
Jonah Hex
Average
Average

Post by Jonah Hex »

thenudehamster wrote:
kgs wrote:
Hi Jonah.

I'd concur with kgs, Jonah; it does sound as if you have the (somewhat outdated) v1.65 which is the last stable release, and therefore the latest version hosted in the official repositories. If you read the thread here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10211
you'll find that you're not the only less than Linux savvy newbie here - been there done that, got the explosion scars....
Download the latest version (currently 1.75.2, IIRC) from the Oolite site and install it in accordance with Getafix's wonderfully detailed instructions and you should find that all the advice given above will work beautifully.

Thank you for this...although...this would mean staring again to get to competent in less than a week....I may be able to do that, but I think relations with other humans, not to mention my wife, may sour somewhat :)

Good to know all this though. One question, if 1.65 is the last stable version doesn't this mean 1.75 and so one have bugs? I don't know which version i have because I don't get the loading screen people refer to.
Anyway the game works beutifully now.i can't add any OXPs I guess but for the moment I don't really mind this too much. Just not really getting many missions (or any yet) but I guess that might be a while....
Thank you guys, really a cool and helpful BB this one!
Hex
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Nothing problematic in terms of bugs in 1.75+, and lots and lots of excellent new features, graphical tweaks, better scripting engine for OXP's, much cleverer NPC AI etc. 1.65 is kind of antique these days. The only reason that nothing has been labelled as 'stable' since is that Ahruman and co have been adding lots of features. Currently no new features are being added and it's the final phase of player beta testing for a 1.76 release which is I understand intended to be labelled as the new 'stable' release. That could be weeks or months away though.....who knows.

Your 1.65 save game should load up fine in a 1.75+ installation.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hey Jonah,

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04, and the keyconfig on my system is in the /resources/config folder. The reason You cannot edit it, is because root is the owner.
In a terminal run; 'gksudo nautilus', and you can edit it. Since this gives You total acces to Your filesystem, be carefull what You do.

After You have edited Your keyconfig, and have quit Nautilus, You probably have to press ctrl+c to return to the terminal.

Goog Luck,
Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

The general advice is not to mess with the 'core' files. Instead copy the keyconfig file, edit the copy and place it in AddOns where it will over-ride the default one.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Smivs wrote:
The general advice is not to mess with the 'core' files. Instead copy the keyconfig file, edit the copy and place it in AddOns where it will over-ride the default one.
And so we return to the original problem that Jonah did not install via the Linux Distro-neutral tarball but the Ubuntu Software Repository, and thus it's old and in the wrong place with the wrong permissions and no AddOns folder.

He's not been back since we suggested he uninstalled and started again with the tarball.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here