Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Wormhole effect on exit

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Bazabaza
Above Average
Above Average

Wormhole effect on exit

Post by Bazabaza »

Obviously in Oolite you see the wormhole when ships jump, but there isn't an effect when they jump into a system. Just wondered if its possible?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Wormhole effect on exit

Post by Smivs »

Yeah, there should be something...nice idea. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Bazabaza wrote:
there isn't an effect when they jump into a system.
There is, you know.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Not for the player.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
Not for the player.
I would argue that there is. The ship appears, and that is an effect. Now, it would be nice to have an exit worm hole as well. Actually, the Frontier / FFE setup is very good. (One of the few things that really works in Frontier / FFE in my view). You can jump ahead with a faster ship and then wait for the other ship to arrive. Not sure if that is a concept that fits in Oolite though.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yeah we should be able to see any persuers popping out of our wormhole behind us.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Gimi wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Not for the player.
Actually, the Frontier / FFE setup is very good. (One of the few things that really works in Frontier / FFE in my view). You can jump ahead with a faster ship and then wait for the other ship to arrive. Not sure if that is a concept that fits in Oolite though.
You can do this in Oolite too, although the actual ship speed is not a factor here. Try it by hacking a save file containing scanned wormhole information, so that you position yourself in the arrival system of your target with say, 10 minutes to spare before it jumps in and you will see it entering at the time predicted by the wormhole scanner. You can do the same test in normal gameplay by following a two-jump route that results in less travel time to destination, but this is a more difficult way of testing overall. Factoring in the speed of a ship in the total witchspace travel time calculation could be quite interesting.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
Gimi wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Not for the player.
Actually, the Frontier / FFE setup is very good. (One of the few things that really works in Frontier / FFE in my view). You can jump ahead with a faster ship and then wait for the other ship to arrive. Not sure if that is a concept that fits in Oolite though.
You can do this in Oolite too, although the actual ship speed is not a factor here. Try it by hacking a save file containing scanned wormhole information, so that you position yourself in the arrival system of your target with say, 10 minutes to spare before it jumps in and you will see it entering at the time predicted by the wormhole scanner. You can do the same test in normal gameplay by following a two-jump route that results in less travel time to destination, but this is a more difficult way of testing overall. Factoring in the speed of a ship in the total witchspace travel time calculation could be quite interesting.
But it's not an integral part of game design, and almost impossibly hard to use to your advantage. Maybe witchspace transit time should differ depending on the speed or mass of the ship. A possible request for Oolite 2.
- Mass or speed of ship influences witchspace transit time.
- Exit wormhole appears at destination before ship arrives.
- Entering a wormhole the wrong way always causes a miss-jump.
- Entering a wormhole the right way causes you to overtake a ship if your ship is faster/lighter.

Worth thinking about.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I would disagree that it is not integral part of the game design. One of the hardest parts during the development of the Wormhole Scanner was precisely getting this point right. As to how difficult it is to use to one's advantage, I think that it may be difficult, but definitely not impossibly so. I think that the fact that players don't normally apply this tactic in their game is more related to not actually having any missions that require it yet rather than anything else. It may be a more mission-oriented thing indeed, but it's there and it is integral, as long as someone is willing to make use of it.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

But it's not an integral part of game design, and almost impossibly hard to use to your advantage. Maybe witchspace transit time should differ depending on the speed or mass of the ship. A possible request for Oolite 2.
- Mass or speed of ship influences witchspace transit time.
- Exit wormhole appears at destination before ship arrives.
- Entering a wormhole the wrong way always causes a miss-jump.
- Entering a wormhole the right way causes you to overtake a ship if your ship is faster/lighter.
I like the idea.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
I would disagree that it is not integral part of the game design. One of the hardest parts during the development of the Wormhole Scanner was precisely getting this point right. As to how difficult it is to use to one's advantage, I think that it may be difficult, but definitely not impossibly so. I think that the fact that players don't normally apply this tactic in their game is more related to not actually having any missions that require it yet rather than anything else. It may be a more mission-oriented thing indeed, but it's there and it is integral, as long as someone is willing to make use of it.
As I'm not familiar with how this is done, I stand corrected. :oops:
Would my suggestion above make it easier to exploit this in missions though.
The real question is, is there any point in me posting this as a request for Oolite 2.