pure virtual method called

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Okay, now that the Great Memory Gobbler has been squashed (not that I had problems with it, under OS X) we can start nagging the dear developers with our other problems...

The sound-issue, of course, but I'm more interested in the
crash. Anyone else having this happening? I really think it has something to do w/ explosions or 'dying' of objects, 'cause it seems to happen on the exact moment something blows to bits...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Rosyna of Unsanity mentioned a crash like that on #macdev on irc.freenode.net the other day. The general consensus was, “Huh? WTF? That doesn’t make sense.” :-/
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Making sense or not, it happened again, eggs-actly at the point of a baddie blowing up...

Am I *really* the only one having this happening?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

And again... Boulders blowing up.

Come to think of it, could it be the voice synth?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm.

A quick perusal of crash logs indicates that the speech synthesiser is indeed implemented in C++. And it’s quite possible that you’re the only one who uses it regularly; I for one switch the annoying thing off. ;-)

What precisely happens? Do you get a proper crash with a crash log?
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

No, it just exits immediately, console only says 'virtual method called' (it wants its code back, heehee)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Aghkg! *slams head on desk*

Okay, Bitchin' Betty is switched off, for now, see if it makes any difference. I'll miss it, though. I like that ship-computer feeling. (I know: should.get.life.NOW)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

While I shall turn her on for testing purposes.

Hmm, bitching, eh? Some snide banter would be cool. ;-)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I'm now pretty convinced it is the synth. I blew up 37 baddies in some serious massive fights, one a battle with 6, and after some time an additional 5 or 6 coming in to help out them bastards, so mucho stuff happening and nothing happened. I have some 'subconsious counter' that tells me it should've happened, but it didn't, so...

Bitchin' Betty is a nickname for some voice-synthesized alerts in airliners (and some fighterplanes IIRC) always droning on "pull up... pull up... pull up"... etc.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Oooh...that bitch. I remember her from F-16 and F-22 days... You try nap of the earth flying over the rolling hills of Eastern Europe with that daft mare nagging in your ear!!!

It's the only time I've tried to work out how to bitch slap a plane.

Anyway, on topic. Are there any plans whatsoever to introduce this to Linux/PC/etc. versions? I know the voice synthesis won't work, but is it possible to assign sound files to events? Then someone's girlfriend/wife/mistress/daughter/secretary with a nice voice can record them up (if there are no ladies on the forum with nice voices, that is).
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Ahruman wrote:
(Then A-10 Cuba came out, with head-to-head networking only. Dogfighting attack planes… among asteroids, among other things. *sigh*)
Back in 1991, there was a networked flight simulator for the VAXstation running VMS. I loved the B-52 - advancing the throttle, all those engine gauges moving at once :-)

To think that people are claiming multiplayer gaming was an innovation made on Windows... on weekends we used to play networked LAN games of Xpilot on our university's Solbourne workstations (a Sun4 clone) running SunOS 4.something until we hallucinated (I remember going to bed one evening and seeing blue grids and red explosions every time I closed my eyes - we spent pretty much an entire weekend with a massive wall-to-wall LAN game of Xpilot. We also used to play Xtank a lot. People still play Xpilot quite a bit - getting back towards something remotely on-topic, I think an Xpilot style game would be a good 'dogfight' multiplayer mode for Oolite should we ever find the time to add netcode).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

winston wrote:
To think that people are claiming multiplayer gaming was an innovation made on Windows...
They are? What about all those null-modem DOS games? :-)

Not to mention Bolo, or NetTrek, or Netrek… Or Marathon, with innovations like Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Kill the Man with the Ball, with sixteen-player network play and audio chat.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

winston wrote:
until we hallucinated (I remember going to bed one evening and seeing blue grids and red explosions every time I closed my eyes.
I have that with Oolite, and used to have that w/ Beyond Overlord (which doesn't run very well On OS X, (under classic) Aaargh) http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbo/cmbo.html tWas brilliant...
Last edited by Rxke on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

On topic: been playing quite a lot, w/o speech synth on, and Oolite seems rock stable all of a sudden. Strange thing is, since disabling the synth, no sound looping and weird hanging thing... Could it be related? Thinking it was the sound engine, but it was also speech synth? (When stuff 'happens' both sounds and speech happens, and mebbie the speechengine does something seriously screwed w/ audio... I remember Ahruman saying they were unrelated, program-wise, but mebbie speechsynt is behaving Soooooo bad, it takes other stuff with it in a downward spiral...

OTOH, it sometimes (sound) behaved badly in the market, which has no speech-functionality...
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

if I'm thinking of the same thing (the ogg..cannot..current context-error) hasn't happened to me if there is no other strain.
like when it did happen, Id run iTunes on an airport and it would kick in when a track was changing, or azureus was running in the background, or (the only ocurrence when Oolite was running all alone) I was testing an A_H oxp which had made some entities invulnerable due to unorthodox death_actions, and I was blasting laser at it continually for a long time in disbelief..
so considering my low RAM and such, maybe it's not so strange?
The man next to you is your lunch