BB Facebook 'like' button

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: BB Facebook 'like' button

Post by Commander McLane »

CaptKev wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
It seems the debate doesn't only take place in this thread. I just noticed that CaptKev has added a fake 'hate' button to his sig. 8)
Someone's paying attention :D
Nothing goes unnoticed here. :D (And few things go uncommented, for that matter. :P )
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

I am not against the button at all, But one thing I noticed, It contionously makes my browser try to download something frequently. And browsing a topic comes a pain in the neck. When the button is disabled it is fine but this option requires to be signed before browsing any topic. This behavior is on Internet Explorer. I used safari and it seems to work fine.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Well, I've got a problem with it now. :?

Ever since it was introduced my IE7 at work has slowed down to a crawl whenever I look at the BB. It's almost unusable when I'm browsing a thread.

According to the status bar my browser is now continually polling something called
h t t p://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php? <bunch of numbery stuff>fb_xd_fragment...

Probably due to our crappy browser config and restricted javascript settings and firewalls etc, and I shouldn't being browsing the BB at work anyway, but... well I won't be from now on, because I can't!

:cry:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

aegidian wrote:
You can now choose 'No Facebook' by clicking User Control Panel then 'Board Preferences' and choose My board style: No Facebook from the drop down list. Then click 'submit'.

Presto chango - no 'like' button.
@Drew - have you tried this?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

drew wrote:
Well, I've got a problem with it now. :?

Ever since it was introduced my IE7 at work has slowed down to a crawl whenever I look at the BB. It's almost unusable when I'm browsing a thread.

According to the status bar my browser is now continually polling something called
h t t p://www.aegidian.org/bb/viewtopic.php? <bunch of numbery stuff>fb_xd_fragment...

Probably due to our crappy browser config and restricted javascript settings and firewalls etc, and I shouldn't being browsing the BB at work anyway, but... well I won't be from now on, because I can't!
What if you use the 'no facebook' template?

EDIT: Ninja'd by DH. :P
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That only works if one is a member and logged-in... for a guest, the problem persists.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

I had similar issues (using Chromium) before I turned it off. Each page took about 5 times longer to load. Which considering my internet connection was being temperamental at the time meant I couldn't load the bb. Thankfully, it's all turned off now.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yep, all ok with it switched off. Yay. I'm back. :wink:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

aegidian wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
Although just because people can post any kind of rubbish they want, doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to make doing so a fully automated and push-button action.
You may have misunderstood my explanation.

The button does not publish anything here at all. Instead it publishes a link to here on the user's Facebook page.
And in addition, by it's pure presence, it notifies facebook that someone has been visiting this page of the BB. If this someone is logged into facebook in some other browser window at the same time then facebook gets notified who precisely it is.

Thanks for adding the option in preferences to turn it off though. However, as someone else already noted, that doesn't help BB guests. Maybe turn it around and make the button-less style default and allow registered members to turn it on?
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Don't even to want to vote a No for it. Just shouldn't be there!

Would just rather it or any the other so called social interface web sites didn't invade my idea of Oolite.

ML's are cool at the moment, point out the bandit that want's F** Bookin. Soon Heat them up.

Why on earth should it appear on my post? If I wanted that sort of jettison I would have joined it.

Really itchy finger on this invasion, Much Much worser than Thargoids!!
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For every Oolite BB page I’ve visited today, I have several history entries called “XD Proxy”. On further inspection, this turns out to be a page generated by Facebook API code to attempt to keep track of my web activity, in particular by reporting each Oolite BB page I visit to Facebook. It isn’t working in my case because it’s trying to use Flash and communicate with domains I’ve blocked, but I find this more than a little unpleasant.

This happens despite using the “no facebook” theme.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Ahruman wrote:
It's unlikely to be anything to do with the php code in the templates then.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

aegidian wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
It's unlikely to be anything to do with the php code in the templates then.
Turns out that my theme had reset (which is odd, but meh), but I hadn’t noticed because of the adblock block I put in place when the button was first added.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

aegidian wrote:
Well, if it prompts a flood of spamlike rubbish it's pretty easy to switch it off now and count the experiment a failure. Thanks for feeding back, it's really useful because I have an unfortunate tendency to want everyone to be happy. :)
Is it that time yet, given the comments raised on this thread by around 80-90% of the posters and the above reports?

It would be interesting to know what proportion of active users are using subsilver2 and how many have elected to use "No Facebook".
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thargoid wrote:
aegidian wrote:
Well, if it prompts a flood of spamlike rubbish it's pretty easy to switch it off now and count the experiment a failure. Thanks for feeding back, it's really useful because I have an unfortunate tendency to want everyone to be happy. :)
Is it that time yet, given the comments raised on this thread by around 80-90% of the posters and the above reports?

It would be interesting to know what proportion of active users are using subsilver2 and how many have elected to use no-facebook.
I had to switch to no facebook because I noticed sometimes the page would hang displaying the like buttons - as a Facebook user I find I can cut and past a particular page if I want to - only slightly slower than the like button and under my control.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here