Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

does taking a contract in contraband affect your legal stat?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Gnudoll
Dangerous
Dangerous

does taking a contract in contraband affect your legal stat?

Post by Gnudoll »

does taking a contract in contraband affect your legal status? I seem to be having trouble finding contracts in other items at the moment, but do not want to wreck my clean rating. . .
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: does taking a contract in contraband affect your legal s

Post by Switeck »

Try buying out the contraband before checking the contracts...then sell the same back to the station before accepting a contract.
You only get a hit on your legal status if you leave the station with contraband.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, and big-time.

You get a bounty for each ton of illegal stuff that you transport out of a main station. It doesn't matter how you acquired the stuff in the first place.

Contracts tend to be about many tons, thus the resulting bounty would be high, and get higher and higher for each main station you're docking with along the route.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Your question caused me to think so I took a contract of 56 tonnes of firearms from 1 side of the galaxy to the other side.. a total of 22 jumps.
I have a griff boa that is my hauler so I emptied out the missile racks save 1. the other 7 had fuel tanks. Then I skipped each jump.. didn't dock once and after 1 jump, I went to offender, after 5 jumps, I was clean all the way to delivery. I ran the route using the more but shorter hops and that is where the extra fuel came in. If I was close to the bar, Jut add the fuel and hop out... otherwise those scoops are quite handy. Why bother with galcop if you don't have to. :roll:
Yah-Ta-Hey
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Or just use a fuel station, or indeed any other dockable entity which sells fuel except the system main station.

It just means you can't save your game along the route...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Or go sunskimming. That was the only safe technique in the old days. Combine that with the fact that in Elite/vanilla Oolite your bounty wears of quite quickly, and hauling large quantities of illegal goods only ever becomes a problem in the 15 seconds between first launching and jumping out.
Ad_Astra
Competent
Competent

Post by Ad_Astra »

Thargoid wrote:
Or just use a fuel station, or indeed any other dockable entity which sells fuel except the system main station.

It just means you can't save your game along the route...
I was going to say when I saw this thread, Fuel Stations/Satellites are your friend. :)
Now rated Deadly flying a Military Stingray in Galsector 2 causing chaos, panic and disorder as a hitman and trader.