Another crash.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Another crash.

Post by Fatleaf »

Had another crash. Here is the log,

Due to the size it can be downloaded as a compressed file here... http://www.box.net/shared/ezh5e1j3p5
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Another crash.

Post by another_commander »

Ahruman fixed a crash related to JS garbage collection on r4497 a little while ago. Can you try testing with the latest nightly for some time?

After a very quick look, apart from one or two plist parsing failures, I don't see anything special in the crash log.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

I have tried the nightly as suggested. This is probably the wrong place to write my comments but I'm sure you will let me know where you would like them posted. The first thing I noticed is with Target Autolock oxp Even when I have a missiles armed when it activates (either to a hard head launch or shot at when not locked previously) it always puts me into Ident mode I then have to press T to switch over to missiles again. Which can be very distracting when a lot of hostiles are about.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Fatleaf wrote:
I have tried the nightly as suggested. This is probably the wrong place to write my comments but I'm sure you will let me know where you would like them posted. The first thing I noticed is with Target Autolock oxp Even when I have a missiles armed when it activates (either to a hard head launch or shot at when not locked previously) it always puts me into Ident mode I then have to press T to switch over to missiles again. Which can be very distracting when a lot of hostiles are about.
What you are witnessing is the fix for the targets-getting-locked-at-long-distance bug. We decided to go with the solution of activating the ident whenever a script was assigning a target, since it was the solution with the least complicated side-effects, even if it does not look like it. Your missiles are still armed when the ident is engaged and you can fire them just fine, you do not have to switch back to missile view.

Thanks for the feedback. It would be interesting to hear from other people as well, if the bugfix applied is considered an effective one or not.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

On my to-do list is to revise TAP a little bit, to explicitly prevent it from causing a self-lockon, and also to prevent lock-ons beyond the scanner range.

But I've been holding off doing either simply as both are related to trunk bugs or feature glitches, and as noted before I'd prefer them to be fixed in trunk rather than just partially patched (hidden) from TAP-activation by scripting changes. But as those fixes are now ongoing then something soon can be done I think as a belt-n-braces finalisation.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

another_commander wrote:
Your missiles are still armed when the ident is engaged and you can fire them just fine, you do not have to switch back to missile view.
Eerrrmm... Just tried that and I could not fire any missiles. Just for clarity - press m to launch a missile - I pressed it and nothing. I had to press T to be able to use them and that means breaking the lock.

So from this screenshot I could not fire a missile. I originally had missiles armed and ready then the Asp shot me.

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Possibly related to this?:
Oolite v1.74.1 missile/s not firing.
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8271
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

A revised fix for the long distance targeting bug has been submitted with r4516, which maintains the previous targeting behaviour, without auto-switching on the ident and, hopefully, without unwelcome side-effects. Coming soon to a nightly build near you.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

another_commander wrote:
A revised fix for the long distance targeting bug has been submitted with r4516, which maintains the previous targeting behaviour, without auto-switching on the ident and, hopefully, without unwelcome side-effects. Coming soon to a nightly build near you.
:D