Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

HELP! Wings3D 1.4 Texturing

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Does anybody use Wings3D 1.4?

The way texturing is done seems to have completely changed from the old version I used to use on my Ubuntu machine.

Can anybody tell me/show me/URL_to_a_decent_1.4_tutorial how to apply a texture to an model in Wings3D 1.4.

Please. Pretty Please!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: HELP! Wings3D 1.4 Texturing

Post by Svengali »

I'm still on an older version, because I use it only to convert things if necessary.

You could take a look at their own official forum (http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/).
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Thanks Svengali - I found some of those tutorials already - but the workflow is different in 1.4.1 to all the previous versions I've used before - although I have managed to actually get it to load a texture at least!

I shall play and hopefully learn - but quickly - I've got to write an easy to follow tutorial for my distance learning students in the next few weeks!
Selezen wrote:
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i've started using Wings, but i looked at the UV mapping stuff and didn't like what i saw. i use Ultimate Unwrap, which i find very user friendly. it's a pay thing, but i paid for it when i started OXPing about 4 years back and has given me many many hours of use.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ooh, new version! Wonder how different it is...

I actually like Wings' texturing method - it's one of the easiest I've used (but then I haven't used many) and it's useful for stitching together nets for paper/card models then previewing the results on an actual 3D model.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Selezen wrote:
Ooh, new version! Wonder how different it is...

I actually like Wings' texturing method - it's one of the easiest I've used (but then I haven't used many) and it's useful for stitching together nets for paper/card models then previewing the results on an actual 3D model.
It's different enough to cock me up - things like the "outliner" option have moved/work differently.

the UV mapping's not as easy to use as something like AC3D, but the unwrapping process (the ability to create Hard Edges in the model which translate into "cut here" lines in the AutoUV is a nice feature - it means you can chop up the model in a way which best suits me)
Selezen wrote:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Well, after a quick play I see that they have finally added options to limit movement of the UV mapping "net" to one plane. That's a big improvement in a tiny change as it means now I know that when I separate elements of a net they'll still be in alignment!

Can't say I've ever used the outline options. My use of Wings only really scratches the surface. I've been using it for over five years and I only found out about mirroring faces at the end of 2010.