my sixth crash of 1.75 (rev 4435)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

jmlima
Average
Average

Re: my sixth crash of 1.75 (rev 4435)

Post by jmlima »

another_commander wrote:
I guess the only way forward is to find which OXP is responsible for the crash. You will need to remove half of your OXPs, then play and if it crashes continue removing half of the remaining ones, until it does not crash. When it does not crash, switch to the other half and proceed like this until you pinpoint the one OXP that causes the game to crash when you run it. It sounds like a lot of work, but I imagine that within five or six attempts you should be able to tell us which is the culprit.

If you do find the guilty OXP and let us know which one it is, it will help tremendously in nailing this one.

Edit: Your Latest.log posted earlier may not have all the information we need. There could be errors in any of the OXPs in your list (especially the old ones like Condor etc.) that we cannot see because the game was reading data from the cache. It would help if you could provide a log after starting the game with Shift held down, as this will cause the game to re-read the entire OXP structure in order to refresh its cache and may reveal errors that we have not seen up to now.
I've already done the OXP's thing. At best, it was inconclusive. I thought it was the commies OXP causing it, but then, the game started crashing without it, and with it... I will try it again.

So, just for my info, if I remove an OXP, but do not start the game with shift pressed down, I can still get errors from the removed OXP?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: my sixth crash of 1.75 (rev 4435)

Post by another_commander »

jmlima wrote:
I've already done the OXP's thing. At best, it was inconclusive. I thought it was the commies OXP causing it, but then, the game started crashing without it, and with it... I will try it again.
You have to be very methodical and give it a few tries each time before you can be sure. Do, say, ten jumps before you decide that it works, assuming that you get it to work at some point. Repeat the process a couple of times. But, just to save some time, please post the log of a game started with Shift held down until the rotating Cobra appears on the screen. It doesn't have to be a proper game, just exit right after you see the Cobra, but it is very important that we see the errors (which I am sure are generated) during a full proper game startup.
So, just for my info, if I remove an OXP, but do not start the game with shift pressed down, I can still get errors from the removed OXP?
No. An OXP that is removed is removed and Oolite knows it. When Oolite detects a change inside the AddOns folder structure (be it a date change in one of the folders or a new folder in the tree or a folder removed from the tree), it will regenerate the cache automatically. If you change files inside the OXP folders, like a shipdata.plist in one of the OXPs, Oolite will not be able to know that something has changed, because as far as the folder structure directly under AddOns is concerned, everything is the same as before. In such cases, you need to manually instruct Oolite to rebuild the cache by holding Shift down on startup and thus "see" your changes.