Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Reporting spam

Post by Disembodied »

Smivs wrote:
Not sure about this one - looks pretty dodgy.
Member:- Lozycyday
Profile:- https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6760

Link in profile is to another members homepage started 2 days ago, and Interests and occupation look very suspect.
And it's a decloaker – it wasn't there on the member list when I tagged akram0102.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Martinav8: https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6768

Nothing too suspicious about the user name, although the profile does contain a kind of random link (to a German free short URL service) – the sort that can be edited at a later date to point somewhere nastier. I'm dubious. Apologies if I'm overly suspicious, but all this plus the two-minute forum browsing history makes me twitchy ...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
Martinav8: https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6768

Nothing too suspicious about the user name, although the profile does contain a kind of random link (to a German free short URL service) – the sort that can be edited at a later date to point somewhere nastier. I'm dubious. Apologies if I'm overly suspicious, but all this plus the two-minute forum browsing history makes me twitchy ...
The presence of an ICQ address is another hint. I think I've only ever encountered those with spammers. The interests look dubious, too. And not capitalizing 'germany'.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

flflauqr: https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6759

A definite one, this one ... and a decloaker to boot. Put the boot in!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Another one :roll:
Member:- pamala4b
Profile:- https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6772
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
I find it disturbing that spammers can have individual avatars now. I usually tended to think that only real users would choose one. Perhaps we should think about disabling the avatar-uploading feature again?
On the other hand, the avatar is one more place for the spammers to slip up. Any real user that bothers with uploading a custom avatar is likely to choose something with some sort of connexion to Elite, or just space related. While a dwarf wielding a battleaxe - or a cartoon of a Japanese schoolgirl in way shorter skirts than any real Japanese schoolgirl would be allowed to wear - isn't in itself damning proof of anything, it's certainly something that would give a noticeable reading on my suspicion-o-meter.

Edit: Is that Nathan Fillion in BoBo's profile? Looks like it, anyway. If so, it's either a shot in the dark that got lucky, or some research went into the profile. If it's the latter, it means they're spending time on the profiles, thus reducing productivity. Not a bad thing.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Commander McLane wrote:
a cheese with eyes? Definitely not connected to Elite, or space.
You've apparently forgotten that Cheese Goes With Everything and Makes Everything Better!

The obese female is about to vocalize when it comes to the cheesy avatar though; I have a new design on the drawing board.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Every now and then I look at all the effort you guys put into keeping this board clean, and wonder how I passed some of the tests...
My user name I made up for this board first, and searching "Mauiby de Fug" on Google only produces stuff for this board, my avatar is a random squirrel, and I'm fairly sure that I registered at the end of my browsing, rather than at the beginning. Unless I didn't bother registering until I first had an oxp problem and needed to post something... Maybe that was it...
Still, keep up the good work!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Unless I didn't bother registering until I first had an oxp problem and needed to post something...
That answers your question. "He who has proved himself legitimate by making a non-spammy first post will not be nuked into oblivion". (2nd clock tower rule)

Oh, and in case you wondered, the 1st clock tower rule is "If in doubt, nuke it!" :wink:
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

From what I can remember there has only been (as far as I have been reading posts to this forum) one person nuked by mistake. And that as far as I can remember was something out with spam. So with the uniqueness of this forum with a space trading game and the predictability of spambots looking very much the same it makes the job extremely easy. The proof of the pudding is in the eating and to the best of my knowledge we haven't yet "Qmined the innocent trader" so I think we should all get together for a celebratory BBQ and beer weekend! :D
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Whats the party line on really old members like this one?...

DK https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.p ... file&u=118

Are we going to purge these or let them be?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Fatleaf wrote:
Are we going to purge these or let them be?
I think it depends. When I was doing the archeology thing a little while back, my first sightings were nuked, whereas all the profiles from my last report are still alive and kicking. Mind you, I did do them in a sort of descending order of spamminess, so it was inevitable that the purging would stop at some point. As for DK, I'm not sure if I missed that one or just decided to leave it. I did ignore a couple where the link was dead, this might've been one.

Addendum: Also see the Supreme Grand Admiral's reply to my similar question.
--Dean C Engelhardt
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Vorironicoold - https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.p ... ile&u=6793

Hey, doofus! If you're from Hungary, how come the websites you're pushing are Polish?
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

More Russian stuff (complete with Avatar)

Member:- IosifN
Profile:- https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.php?m ... ile&u=6797
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I was Ninjaed by Smivs, but here is some more research on:
IosifN
https://bb.oolite.space/memberlist.p ... ile&u=6797
No hits on SFS
No hits on Google for the actual user name
ICQ user does not exist
Web site is something about searching for feminine names
Kill it
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).