my sixth crash of 1.75 (rev 4435)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

jmlima
Average
Average

Re: my sixth crash of 1.75 (rev 4435)

Post by jmlima »

Eric Walch wrote:
jmlima wrote:
Kaks wrote:
You could zip it and use box.net, they give free file hosting accounts! :)
Let's see if this works:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4huEL ... ist&num=50
I get a message that there is nothing available on that link (after logging on at google)?
Yeah, it works on my side, but I never managed to make it work for other people... will see an alternative.
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

another_commander wrote:
Do you have Data Execution Prevention (DEP) enabled on Vista? If yes, can you disable it and see if that helps?

I sure hope we are not dealing with yet another one of those DEP crashes...
Just a quick one, it's not from this. I just discovered that when DEP stops a process it also pop's up a specific warning which I never saw in Oolite crashes.

Quick question, are the OXP's tested for inter-compatibility, or is this testing reliant on the community feedback?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

jmlima wrote:
Quick question, are the OXP's tested for inter-compatibility, or is this testing reliant on the community feedback?
OXPs should be able to work with eachother, unless specifically and by design contradicting each other (e.g. an OXP which brings suns closer to the planet together with an OXP that positions suns far away from the planet or overriding of same-named resource files). They are not tested by the development team for inter-compatibility, because this would be impossible given the number of OXPs in circulation. However, whatever an OXP does, it should not be able to crash the core game.
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

another_commander wrote:
jmlima wrote:
OXPs should be able to work with eachother, unless specifically and by design contradicting each other (e.g. an OXP which brings suns closer to the planet together with an OXP that positions suns far away from the planet or overriding of same-named resource files). They are not tested by the development team for inter-compatibility, because this would be impossible given the number of OXPs in circulation. However, whatever an OXP does, it should not be able to crash the core game.
Roger that, still trying to find a way to upload the file, that does not involve registering in slightly strange web sites.

(no, not that kind of strange.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

jmlima wrote:
Roger that, still trying to find a way to upload the file, that does not involve registering in slightly strange web sites.

(no, not that kind of strange.)
Yeh Yeh Yeh :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

Sorry for the delay, here is the log, finally found a way to share it:

http://www.mediafire.com/?76mc64c22qjgdyk

or

http://www.mediafire.com/file/76mc64c22 ... Latest.zip

thanks for the help.
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

Out of curiosity, did any of you guys had a chance to look at the log above? If so, any thoughts?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Can you find another way to share files? Mediafire is an abomination. It forces the user through lots of unwanted advertising and pop-up windows before you can actually download something. If you are allowed to actually download something at all (I remember previous instances where I simply gave up, because among the firework of ads which took ages to load on my slow connection there wasn't any visible download button at all, because that needed flash and whatnot to work in the first place).

Why don't you use box.net? It's simple, it's free, and there is no advertising-overkill when someone wants to download your files. Offering a mediafire download link is basically the same as saying 'I want to annoy you', IMO.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Unfortunately the log doesn't tell why it happens.

But as you are on NVidia you could try to disable the threading. This has caused trouble some time ago with my GeForce Go7950 GTX. Additionally take a look at the x-ships and Commies. Both are containing models that have caused CTDs with NVidias threading switched on.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
Additionally take a look at the x-ships and Commies. Both are containing models that have caused CTDs with NVidias threading switched on.
The problem model in commies is only added in systems with tech level > 9. I did notice from the log that the last visited system was Tionisla. So at least that model was present in the system. But, on the other side, the readMe warns for this under the heading ***** Known crashing problems ******, so I would expect users to check this before installing.
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

Thanks all for the suggestions. It still crashes randomly. It seems the only way to run it is without any extensions...

One question, are there any known incompatibilities between Oolite and other software? I note that it uses java, can an open browser cause conflicts?
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

jmlima wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. It still crashes randomly. It seems the only way to run it is without any extensions...

One question, are there any known incompatibilities between Oolite and other software? I note that it uses java, can an open browser cause conflicts?
java != javascript

Oolite is written in Objective C, OXPs use javascript to interact with the game engine.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

jmlima: Before giving up, try downloading and running the latest nightly build, from http://nightly.oolite.org/windows/oolit ... .win32.exe. There have been a couple of crashers fixed since 1.75.1 and it might be that one of them is what is causing you trouble.

Oolite does not have any known incompatibilities with other software, with the notable exception of PCTools Firewall 7 (see here), which is known to cause issues also with other applications. Oolite runs in its own memory space and does not interfere with other programs. It uses its own version of the JavaScript runtime and it makes no difference if you are running it with a browser open or not.
jmlima
Average
Average

Post by jmlima »

another_commander wrote:
jmlima: Before giving up, try downloading and running the latest nightly build, from http://nightly.oolite.org/windows/oolit ... .win32.exe. There have been a couple of crashers fixed since 1.75.1 and it might be that one of them is what is causing you trouble.

Oolite does not have any known incompatibilities with other software, with the notable exception of PCTools Firewall 7 (see here), which is known to cause issues also with other applications. Oolite runs in its own memory space and does not interfere with other programs. It uses its own version of the JavaScript runtime and it makes no difference if you are running it with a browser open or not.
Thanks, just tried it, unfortunately, crashed on my second jump. 1.75.1 usually lasted for about 4, sometimes 6.

It's a slightly bizarre thing. Immediately after a jump, I get the image of the system I jumped into, the clock keeps running, then the program suddenly pauses, and either I get the welcome message to the system, or it crashes.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

I guess the only way forward is to find which OXP is responsible for the crash. You will need to remove half of your OXPs, then play and if it crashes continue removing half of the remaining ones, until it does not crash. When it does not crash, switch to the other half and proceed like this until you pinpoint the one OXP that causes the game to crash when you run it. It sounds like a lot of work, but I imagine that within five or six attempts you should be able to tell us which is the culprit.

If you do find the guilty OXP and let us know which one it is, it will help tremendously in nailing this one.

Edit: Your Latest.log posted earlier may not have all the information we need. There could be errors in any of the OXPs in your list (especially the old ones like Condor etc.) that we cannot see because the game was reading data from the cache. It would help if you could provide a log after starting the game with Shift held down, as this will cause the game to re-read the entire OXP structure in order to refresh its cache and may reveal errors that we have not seen up to now.