Life on meteorite ?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Life on meteorite ?

Post by Makandal »

This finally happenned. They did not find vicious shrews nora deadly goat but I think this is a big big progress.
About the Orgueil meteorite, strangely, I read an article in a mythic french magazine of the 60's called Planete about bacteria and other life forms found on this meteorite.
Whatever, this is a great day for humanity.

http://journalofcosmology.com/Life100.html
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Re: Life on meteorite ?

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Only had time to skim - but interesting!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that's way over my head, and i refuse to get excited until we find something that can talk. unless it's an edible arts grduate.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Quite an interesting thingie...

I've skimmed the article, and to sum it up a bit for those that don't wanna read it...

Study of CI1 carbonaceous chondrites, a rare class of meteorites, mostly those that impacted within last 200 years, revealed so called "strong biomarkers", molecules that appear to be created only via biologic processes, and microstructures in freshly exposed fragments that appear to be fossilized bacteria, apparently similar to Cyanobacteria. Article also provides several arguments why they aren't result of post-impact contamination, notably the nitrogen deprivation. Overall...if these results are confirmed by further research, it would imply existence of life outside our planet.

Sceptic's take: there were previous "findings" of fossilized bacteria in other meteorites, none of those proved to be true...and even if it turned out to be true, actual origin of these meteorites is unknown. During its forming and beginning of life on Earth, our planet underwent quite some cataclysmic changes...it is actually possible that Earth is parent body of these meteorites (gah...wish I was at dorm, got access to some scientific databases there so I could take a look at this).
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

Actually, the summary of Sarin is very accurate. In addition to Sarin hypothesis, bacteria have been shown to survive in the higher atmosphere.

These bacteria are already showing some diversity. I am a little afraid that it could be another possibility: what if these meteorites have not been contaminated IN SPACE by earth bacteria. If the Cl1 meteorites are coming from comets, it is very possible these comets skims on the earth higher atmosphere and got loaded with bacteria. Then, these bacteria could have survived and somehow develop when the comet is approaching the sun.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

exactly how high in the atmosphere would they need to be to get sucked up by a comet tho? surely that would hve the comet w/in scarily dangerous proximity to the plant and probably affected by our gravity?
i was under the impression fossils had to be basically buried and exposed to pressure etc, neighter of which i would think could happen on a comet, therefore initially i'd think they'd have to have been formed elsewhere??
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

It's a matter of endless debate, I guess, but I've always figured the universe is big enough that the odds are in favour of there being other life out there somewhere. How advanced and outgoing it might be is yet another debate, but bacteria or something close to them seems logical as one of the forms of life one would find in more places than one would find something more organised and advanced, like weasels, for example. LOL

I would have some concern that it might be something on the order of the Andromeda Strain.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Makandal wrote:
Actually, the summary of Sarin is very accurate. In addition to Sarin hypothesis, bacteria have been shown to survive in the higher atmosphere.

These bacteria are already showing some diversity. I am a little afraid that it could be another possibility: what if these meteorites have not been contaminated IN SPACE by earth bacteria. If the Cl1 meteorites are coming from comets, it is very possible these comets skims on the earth higher atmosphere and got loaded with bacteria. Then, these bacteria could have survived and somehow develop when the comet is approaching the sun.
Some bacteria can survive in space. It is actually quite likely that Mars has population of Earth bacteria that were brought there by probes. However, getting them into space is very tricky...any object leaving Earth's gravitational field has to reach escape velocity, that is for Earth I think over Mach 5, regardless of mass of object. Very few natural phenomena are capable of this.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

To leave Earth, an escape velocity of 11.2 km/s (approx. 40,320 km/h, or 25,000 mph) is required.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

El Viejo wrote:
To leave Earth, an escape velocity of 11.2 km/s (approx. 40,320 km/h, or 25,000 mph) is required.
I first memorized this using imperial measurements: 7 miles per second. Although these days 11.2 also resides in memory, 7 is definitely the easier number to remember. :wink:
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

Heh... it was the Saturn V/Apollo launches that drummed that '7' into my brain.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

El Viejo wrote:
Saturn V/Apollo launches
I had a slightly different source.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ah yes... I remember that track well.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Oh well, I was a little off :D Anyway, it is unlikely that any natural phenomena could just "launch" anything to orbit, unless it was collision with major celestial body (it is speculated that, when Earth was still mostly molten, it collided with another forming planet, ejecting a part of molten Earth's crust that formed on orbit, thus creating Moon. This however happened before Earth could sustain life, so that's not a way how could life get off Earth) or something like that. And something actually skimming the upper atmosphere and still retain enough velocity to escape...hum, not sure if it is possible due to friction and resulting heating of the object.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Another article on the same subject with a couple of pics.