Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Idea about the Wiki

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Idea about the Wiki

Post by Fatleaf »

On the page http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List, Would it be a good idea to have a tick box stating if the oxp is 1.75 compatible like there is for 1.74.2?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cmdr Radan
Competent
Competent

Re: Idea about the Wiki

Post by Cmdr Radan »

Good idea, I've got 1.74.2 and lots of OXPs installed. What would happen if I use the updater?

As it stands I have not even started any missons yet, so it's not a big issue, but I don't want to miss out on the potential if I update.
Ship:- Custom Cobra DTX ' The Narcissi '
Rating:- Competent

'Would it help if I got out and pushed?'
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr Radan wrote:
Good idea, I've got 1.74.2 and lots of OXPs installed. What would happen if I use the updater?
First the obvious answer: You will get Oolite beta 1.75 installed. :wink:

Afterwards you will realize that some of your OXPs will stop working. So you need to update them as well. Unfortunately you have to do that by hand, one OXP at a time.

Visit this thread to get an overview which OXPs have already been updated to work with Oolite 1.75. Some of the OXP creators may also revive their individual OXP threads in the Expansion Pack forum, in order to inform everybody that a specific OXP has been updated. Or you try out the individual OXPs' pages on the Elite Wiki, for up-to-date information.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Fatleaf wrote:
On the page http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_List, Would it be a good idea to have a tick box stating if the oxp is 1.75 compatible like there is for 1.74.2?
Not quite. 1.74.2 is an obsolete version of Oolite, now that 1.75 is out. Therefore the existing tick box is obsolete as well. It does make sense to replace it with a tick box for 1.75, but we don't want several tick boxes next to each other.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Commander McLane wrote:
Fatleaf wrote:
Not quite. 1.74.2 is an obsolete version of Oolite, now that 1.75 is out. Therefore the existing tick box is obsolete as well. It does make sense to replace it with a tick box for 1.75, but we don't want several tick boxes next to each other.
Then it would be best to clean all of them and things that are working can be ticked again for v1.75. Maybe the ticks for OXPs that are released on/after the 18th Feb should stay though.
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Or even with every new release clean them all out and have the tick box for only the latest version.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Good idea, put in the version it was written for rather than a tick as a matter of course, and update it when it is updated or proved to work in the new version. Seems obvious now I suppose
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

TGHC wrote:
Seems obvious now I suppose
I'm good at quoting the obvious. :roll:
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That's what we used to have, and it didn't work 'cos no-one updated it. After much debate it was decided that the only relevant information was whether an OXP worked with the current release.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

TGHC wrote:
Good idea, put in the version it was written for rather than a tick as a matter of course, and update it when it is updated or proved to work in the new version. Seems obvious now I suppose
Not such a good idea. The Oolite version an OXP was written for is of no interest for the potential user. He wants to know whether it works with the current Oolite version. You don't install and play Oolite 1.72.1 for a couple of your OXPs and Oolite 1.73.4 for another couple.

As I said above, when a new version comes out, previous versions become obsolete. It's no more of interest what worked with them. Eventually we'll have a stable release, and that's be the only version which counts. Therefore the only information needed in the table will be that any given OXP works with this stable release (strictly, when we have a stable release, all OXPs not compatible with it should disappear from the table completely, and perhaps be put in another table for obsolete OXPs). On the way towards a stable release the important information is whether an OXP works with the current version of Oolite. Knowing that it worked with some previous test version unfortunately doesn't help for that, because currently things tend to stop working, as the scripting engine goes through a streamlining process.

EDIT: Smivs beat me to it.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Understand Smiv's point that previously it didn't get updated, but it seems to me that I've returned to a community that is absolutely buzzing. You long term residents only see small incremental changes through the passage of time, I've come back after a two year gap to see huge leaps forwards, plus more people doing development, more people writing OXP's (there's almost a new one every week it seems), and many good souls are updating old OXP's that have been orphaned by their creators. It's a numbers game, the BB has double the number of members, from when I went on my sabatical and my guess is that OXP wiki entries would get updated better this time, but that's just my take because there is so much activity and goodwill in this community.

The bottom line is that noobs and non techies like me need advice on what OXP's will work and what won't, and the Wiki is the best repository for that info, otherwise we'll spend even more time reading the BB, I don't mind particularly how the wiki is updated, I just need to know!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I've just had a look at the OXP table on the Wiki, and it seems from the legend at the top that the Compatibility column does now refer to 1.75. Except I suspect it doesn't. Most of the entries have 'Y' (yes, compitible) already. Has someone already gone through this or have all the 'Y's been left from 1.74?
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
I've just had a look at the OXP table on the Wiki, and it seems from the legend at the top that the Compatibility column does now refer to 1.75. Except I suspect it doesn't. Most of the entries have 'Y' (yes, compitible) already. Has someone already gone through this or have all the 'Y's been left from 1.74?
Must have been left from 1.74. Deep Horizons OXP's are listed as compatible, and they were the only ones in my installation, where I don't have an update and, that actually gives an error message upon loading stating incompatibility. I know there are others that have issues, but Deep Horizons are for certain not compatible with 1.75.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I think that Deep Horizon OXPs just need the max version number to be changed.
I can't test it as I'm grounded from flight ops.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
I think that Deep Horizon OXPs just need the max version number to be changed.
I can't test it as I'm grounded from flight ops.
I suspect as much, but as they are mainly eye candy, it has low priority in my total re-installation and re selection of OXP's (now nearing compleation). I'm checking my other OXP's first, and going through a lot of other to see what I want within my Ooniverse.

Anyway, they are hosted on his site, so he or someone with access will have to fix and upload.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).