Physics sandbox games

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Physics sandbox games

Post by Makandal »

I know there has been a lot of talk about introducing real physics in Oolite, I mean newtonian physics.

I am fascinated by simulation generally on computer, so physics is part of it. I have recently discovered one game called OE-Cake!
http://www.scuzzstuff.org/oe_cake/

It is basically a simulator of liquid but explosion that can be generated are quite spectacular and can be configurable to infinity...

Just wanted to pass my new discovery to you. Have fun.

I also played a bit of Phun but I am not too much in the mechanics.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Physics sandbox games

Post by CheeseRedux »

Haven't checked the thing out yet, but it immediately made me think of the old Finnish classic Rekkaturvat.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Makandal wrote:
I know there has been a lot of talk about introducing real physics in Oolite, I mean newtonian physics.
Actually there hasn't been a lot of talk about this, because nobody wants it (well, nobody of the developers, anyway). :D
Ganelon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ganelon »

As a player, I'm not keen on Newtonian physics for Oolite either. There already are space games that are Newtonian. It would be a very long step away from the concept of the original Elite.
Sleep? Who needs sleep? Got game. No need sleep.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

As I recall, most discussion here has been regarding what a bad idea it is. As an old codger very stuck in his ways, I like the way things are. :P
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Let's not pour poo on Newtonian Physics completely. Unpowered objects obey simple Newtonian Physics in Oolite.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As do weakly-powered ones. :-)
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Makandal wrote:

I am fascinated by simulation generally on computer, so physics is part of it. I have recently discovered one game called OE-Cake!
http://www.scuzzstuff.org/oe_cake/

It is basically a simulator of liquid but explosion that can be generated are quite spectacular and can be configurable to infinity...

Just wanted to pass my new discovery to you. Have fun.

I also played a bit of Phun but I am not too much in the mechanics.
Nice find - my first degree was in Physics - this would have made some things much easier to comprehend (given the way my brain works)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Makandal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Makandal »

If you want to move further with OE-Cake!, try the mixing hack.

Each basic ingredient has a key code (K for rice, Q for water, V for viscous, T for tensile, E for elastic etc...), some ingredients are "secret" i.e. not in the panel (Y for snow and N for null fluid).
The mixing hack consists in typing esc then a chain of ingredients then esc. You will get a new mix with sometimes unexpected reaction and behaviour. Some mix are totally unstable. I created a fluid that explodes like nitroglycerin at the smallest shock.
To start, create some container (using wall), fill it with water. Cover the water with a viscous fluid. Then at the bottom of the water, create this mix "ESC G D ESC", it is a dense gas. You have a kind of volcano... Very interesting behaviour with convection patterns.

EDIT: I am presently working on the creation of an amobea, able to move and incorporate particles.
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.