Witchfuel drive injectors

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Witchfuel drive injectors

Post by luminous »

How can I tell in advance which ships can have these fitted? I just got myself a Boa Clipper, but its useless to me as I cannot fit injectors to it :(
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Re: Witchfuel drive injectors

Post by Smivs »

luminous wrote:
How can I tell in advance which ships can have these fitted? I just got myself a Boa Clipper, but its useless to me as I cannot fit injectors to it :(

Yes you can, all aftermarket options are available for the Clipper except a Cargo expansion.
You will need a Tech Level 10 or above planet to buy them though.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Non technical solution: Check the Wiki.

Technical solution: Check the shipyard.plist. If a piece of equipment isn't mentioned in the parts about optional_equipment and standard_equipment, you can't buy it. (Unless, of course, you do a little creative editing.*)

*On a Windows machine, any creative editing should be done with an editor that is NOT Notepad*
**Notepad++ is an excellent (and free) choice for this kind of thing.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Hmmm, currently sitting in Edater (G2), which is Tech level 10. Cannot fit injectors, they are not already on the ship and not available for me to buy. I'll try a higher tech planet to see if that is the problem.

And no expanders..... :( blast ;)

EDIT: went to a tech lvl 15 and found them there, all sorted :D
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

CheeseRedux wrote:
Non technical solution: Check the Wiki.

Technical solution: Check the shipyard.plist. If a piece of equipment isn't mentioned in the parts about optional_equipment and standard_equipment, you can't buy it. (Unless, of course, you do a little creative editing.*)

*On a Windows machine, any creative editing should be done with an editor that is NOT Notepad*
**Notepad++ is an excellent (and free) choice for this kind of thing.
I have np++, what is the reason for not using Notepad? I know that it is not as advanced, but normally it does not cause an issue. Although saying that I once found that it managed to insert new lines in a way that a unix system did not appreciate.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

In most cases, Notepad adds unwanted characters at the end of file names when they are saved, and Oolite does not recognise them.
Wordpad is okay, but Notepad++ is so much more versatile anyway.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

luminous wrote:
Although saying that I once found that it managed to insert new lines in a way that a unix system did not appreciate.
Oolite does not appreciate it either. If you search the board, you'll find a good selection of tales of woe from people who made the dual mistake of editing their savegame in Notepad without backup.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

luminous wrote:

Glad it's sorted.
Re the Cargo Bay Expansion, the story is (it's all on the Wiki page, by the way) that the Clipper was developed to provide fast bulk transport. It is based on the Boa Class Cruiser and is identical in most respects, except that to make it faster, a third engine was shoe-horned in. But to make it fit the shipyard had to eat into the cargo space, reducing it by 25T. Now it would be downright silly to reduce the hold capacity for a bona fide reason, and then be able to offer an expansion!
It's all to do with balance. The Clipper could be made with the top speed of a Constrictor and the hold of an Anaconda, but who would accept that? We don't do silly here (normally) and if silly does come along it's normally shot down in flames.
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Smivs wrote:
luminous wrote:

Glad it's sorted.
Re the Cargo Bay Expansion, the story is (it's all on the Wiki page, by the way) that the Clipper was developed to provide fast bulk transport. It is based on the Boa Class Cruiser and is identical in most respects, except that to make it faster, a third engine was shoe-horned in. But to make it fit the shipyard had to eat into the cargo space, reducing it by 25T. Now it would be downright silly to reduce the hold capacity for a bona fide reason, and then be able to offer an expansion!
It's all to do with balance. The Clipper could be made with the top speed of a Constrictor and the hold of an Anaconda, but who would accept that? We don't do silly here (normally) and if silly does come along it's normally shot down in flames.
Yes, that is a nice explanation - it does make sense :)
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

Erm, having another issue here. My Boa has a fat bum and I keep crashing it when docking with stations.... :lol:

I was rather hoping to use docking computers, but the Galcop Navy station does not seem to let me do that. Is there another OXP that allows you to use your "fast dock" on navy stations?
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

luminous wrote:
Is there another OXP that allows you to use your "fast dock" on navy stations?
No.
--Dean C Engelhardt
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

CheeseRedux wrote:
luminous wrote:
Is there another OXP that allows you to use your "fast dock" on navy stations?
No.
lol, sometimes a simple answer will suffice 8)

Oh well, will just have to re-learn how to fly again :)
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

luminous wrote:
Keep in mind that since the B2C is almost as tall (60) as it is wide (65), it might be that docking at some sort of weird angle would give you more leeway than the standard keep-the-slot-horizontal way. I don't have a bum shot available, so I'm just guessing here, but it could be worth a look. (Or maybe Smivs has some wisdom to share on the topic.)
--Dean C Engelhardt
luminous
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by luminous »

CheeseRedux wrote:
luminous wrote:
Keep in mind that since the B2C is almost as tall (60) as it is wide (65), it might be that docking at some sort of weird angle would give you more leeway than the standard keep-the-slot-horizontal way. I don't have a bum shot available, so I'm just guessing here, but it could be worth a look. (Or maybe Smivs has some wisdom to share on the topic.)
Yes, that is probably true, but my usual approach of full speed with injection into the slot did not work too well the last time I tried it...lmao
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

luminous wrote:
...but my usual approach of full speed with injection into the slot did not work too well the last time I tried it...lmao
I'm not surprised :D
Try docking her with the docking slot vertical instead of horizontal. She is 'tall' whereas the Cobby is wide, and with a bit of practise you'll find it works well. Also, because your view position is quite high, it should look as though you are too near to the top of the slot compared to what you are used to.
Hope this helps, cheers,
Smivs.