Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Random Hits OXP - Version 1.3.6 (Updated 5/8/09)

Post by Eric Walch »

curtsibling wrote:
Actually, now that I think of it, there has been very little in the way of criminal retribution for all my hits lately.
I don't think that has changed in any way. Currently some relevant values for this are logged when you receive your bar-bill. (Its the same debugging info that older versions showed on the mission screen)

Today I uploaded version 1.4.6 were the randomisation bug is fixed. I also added a new commodity.plist created by Switeck. In total there were only 3 files changed, so I also uploaded a patch file. Anyone that already has version 1.4.5 and does not want to download the whole package, can download that patch and replace 3 small files. Those who already downloaded one of the previous versions of the patch should download the latest version with 3 files to be replaced from the Random Hits page.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

Excellent work, Eric!

I'll test it tonight!
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

I've just had a strange encounter. The mark did jump three times and the log always shows where it jumped from and where it did arrive - but after the third jump which I followed in less than a second (I was that close), there was no mark and no arrival entry in the log, only the "jumped away". Is that normal? Did the mark end up with a malfunction in interstellar space?

Screet
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Screet wrote:
I've just had a strange encounter. The mark did jump three times and the log always shows where it jumped from and where it did arrive - but after the third jump which I followed in less than a second (I was that close), there was no mark and no arrival entry in the log, only the "jumped away". Is that normal? Did the mark end up with a malfunction in interstellar space?
Interesting observation. I never have seen this. But there are the logs for: to trace wrong behaviour. But in this case you followed a ship through its own wormhole. It should always be there by definition. The random_hots is not adding the ship in the new system, Oolite itself is responsible for that. The only thing I can imagine, is that you materialized at the very same spot as the mark. However, I think that should also have generated a log as being killed by collision.

One thing I noticed when following a mark through many wormholes, is that the mark can become clean. Before I never realised that other ships than the player also lost their offender status on jumping. Seeing that, I added a nice feature: once the mark has become clean, it turns itself into a plain trader and heads for the main station. (For some reason there happens to be a police very nearby at such moments :evil: )

Unlucky bounty hunter that tries to kill a clean mark......
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
One thing I noticed when following a mark through many wormholes, is that the mark can become clean. Before I never realised that other ships than the player also lost their offender status on jumping.
Indeed, they do (and have done at least since 1.65). I noticed while writing Anarchies.oxp. It's another nice touch of non-player-centredness in Oolite. :D
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Eric Walch wrote:
Screet wrote:
Interesting observation. I never have seen this. But there are the logs for: to trace wrong behaviour. But in this case you followed a ship through its own wormhole. It should always be there by definition. The random_hots is not adding the ship in the new system, Oolite itself is responsible for that. The only thing I can imagine, is that you materialized at the very same spot as the mark. However, I think that should also have generated a log as being killed by collision.
I've noticed this a number of times while testing my Wormhole mine. I have found no reason why it'll randomly just not appear. So I can follow the mine through any number of wormholes, but have absolutely no idea when it's going to fail. There is an exiting system entry for it in the log, but no arrival entry. Hence I have not really got very far in writing the oxp... I don't necessarily mind it sometimes not appearing for my mines, if I could but get it to generate some sort of event which I could then respond to... It doesn't seem to matter how far behind entering the mine's wormhole I am - I could be right behind it or 40 seconds behind. It still could arrive or not.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

RandomHits1.4.7.zip
Updated Feb 6, 2011 . 14.0MB

...may have a couple typos in oolite-randomHits.js
// player has proceed to new galxy
(Trivial typo on galaxy.)

Are these "Â" symbols supposed to be there?:

Code: Select all

if (who && who.isPlayer){
				missionVariables.random_hits_player_thargoid_kills++;
			}
			if (this.randomHitsOriginal) this.randomHitsOriginal(who, why);
	    }
In a few places, "System." is used instead of "system."
While these may work ok in v1.74.2, I've read that in v1.75 and later these may fail.

Throughout the whole .js file and probably on other files as well, there's quite a few spaces and tabs on the ends of lines. I see them when I highlight them, but they're otherwise invisible.

As big as Random Hits is, you might want to release just the updated files again. :(
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Switeck wrote:

if (who && who.isPlayer){
				missionVariables.random_hits_player_thargoid_kills++;
			}
			if (this.randomHitsOriginal) this.randomHitsOriginal(who, why);
	    }
These seem to be artifacts of the text editor and should be removed. They may potentially make the whole file unreadable on some systems.
Switeck wrote:
While these may work ok in v1.74.2, I've read that in v1.75 and later these may fail.
Indeed, capital letters in the beginning of property names were always a bug. Except perhaps System.infoForSystem, where it's always capitalized in the Wiki. I haven't yet quite understood this.
Switeck wrote:
Throughout the whole .js file and probably on other files as well, there's quite a few spaces and tabs on the ends of lines. I see them when I highlight them, but they're otherwise invisible.
Those can be safely ignored. When I edit a script I delete them when I find them, but that's more a cosmetic/personal-tidyness-wackiness thing.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
RandomHits1.4.7.zip

...may have a couple typos in oolite-randomHits.js

How those "Â" ended up into the code is a big question to me. Normally it only happens when copying something from other files that contain invisible characters. However, in this case I wrote the whole thing from scratch.... Not quite true, I took the original plist script and replaced section by section. Most likely they were already in the original plist file of the script. For me they are still invisible but I try to find them :P
However, they must have been there since the first JS release of RH and I never heard about troubles because of this.

To the System capitalization: This is correct in the 1.4.7 release. The reason for the update was even that it was always wrong and it is okay now. I have a whole list of about 10 oxp's with stuff that must be updated when 1.75 is released. By now I updated them already on the wiki, but will announce it when 1.75 is definitely released as I might stumble over other bugs in the mean time.

Spaces at line endings is not a real problem. It often happens when I select a word by double clicking and than copy it. On the mac these selections often include heading and trailing spaces. (There is probably a setting to toggle this, but I never searched for it)

footnote about System / system.
Both are actually two different things. It was probably less confusing when the object was called "Galaxy" instead of "System" and the property "system". Until 1.74 in both cases "system" was accepted with and without capitalisation so any error was unnoticed.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Eric Walch wrote:
Switeck wrote:
RandomHits1.4.7.zip

How those "Â" ended up into the code is a big question to me.
I now looked up the part in the script. Invisible on my code editor and also on my normal text editor. But, my code editor allows to shift all code to the left by removing any leading spaces. On those lines, the code still shows spaces for me, so the code editor does see them as non-space characters, only shows them as spaces. I assume windows also has no problems with is, otherwise there would be a compilation error on startup and RH would not work on windows.

Seing the code in its context, I remember to have copied that function from Thargoid_Wars.oxp. Also there I don't see any wrong characters myself, but shifting all code to the left leaves here also two lines with spaces for me. I think those characters come from code I copied from this BB. I know that when copying code from BB messages and using them as plist, my plist editor sometimes throws errors because of hidden characters. I don't know if this BB adds them or the originally poster had them in it.

Anyhow its not likely to give errors for RH and I just remove them for any future update. Thanks for the report as I never would have seen it in my editor. :P
zsozso
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zsozso »

First let me start by thanking Eric for this wonderful OXP! It adds a lot of fun to the game, I love the "crime descriptions" when accepting a mission. I have completed quite a few hit missions and reached "a lethal deputy" level. So far it was always easy to find my target, they usually showed up shortly after arriving to the target system and traveling the main corridor towards the planet. However, in my current mission, the 'mark' seems to have gone hiding. I have sailed back and forth between planet an witch-space point at least 6 times and also visited some other sites in the system such as sun, rock hermit and space bar, but still no sign of my target.

I wonder if it is a random based event and I just got lucky on my previous missions or could something be wrong this time ?
What determines when/where the target ship pops up ?
Should I just be more patient and keep going back and forth until I run into him, or is there anything else I could do to find him ?

This is the only line from my Latest.log relevant to random hits:

[Random_Hits]: (Hatred : 9. Events Timer : 23. Dockings : 6. Events Number : 0. Special Mission Timer : 23. Revenge Status : NO. Time to Strike : QUITE_SOON. Revenge Jumps Made : 0. Special Mission : WAITING. Master Timer : 23. Dice Roll : 70)
My Oolite version is 1.75 and the OXP version is 1.4.9
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

[quote="zsozso"]First let me start by thanking Eric for this wonderful OXP! It adds a lot of fun to the game, I love the "crime descriptions" when accepting a mission. [/code]
The main part is from Little Bear. With my bad English knowledge I could never have created something like that. I only did the code translation.
[quote="zsozso"] I have sailed back and forth between planet an witch-space point at least 6 times and also visited some other sites in the system such as sun, rock hermit and space bar, but still no sign of my target.[/code]
Little Bear choose to not add ships in this lane, but in the lane from witchspace entry point to station. And the target patrols this lane
Sometimes the target leaves this lane while in combat with the police. However, any npc hit on the target is logged, so a peek in the log would tell that.
v01i0
Average
Average

Post by v01i0 »

Hello,

First, thanks for the great OXP.

I've encountered a problem with this oxp just recently. It seems that now every time I dock with bounty bar, I get the following error message:
We regret that we could not build the 3 hit-pages within the time that is allowed for it. Your computer is just to(o) slow to generate them. It might help when quitting applications or processes that run in the background of Oolite.

It is not supposed that this message shows under normal circumstances on your computer, so it might indicate a problem in Oolite itself in combination with your OS.
I tried re-installing the oxp, even the game itself, but it didn't help... Any idea what to do. I think my computer should manage well enough the oxp and the game (specs below)... Well, it used to, because I encounter this error just few moments ago. Before that, it worked all right.

So, uninstalling and re-installing doesn't help much, any suggestions? Do I need to get more RAM on my computer?

Thanks,

-v

-----
Win Vista Home
AMD Phenom(tm) 8650 Triple-Core Processor 2.31 GHz
RAM 2 GB
GF 9800 GT
Dragonfire
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Dragonfire »

I had two sets of pirates get revenge on one of my easier hits. One of the gangs had Thargon witchspace jammers.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

v01i0 wrote:
Hello,

First, thanks for the great OXP.

I've encountered a problem with this oxp just recently. It seems that now every time I dock with bounty bar, I get the following error message:
That message actually only means that the code was interrupted somehow. In your latest log there must be a reason logged for it. It could be a really slow computer but more likely its a programming error I like to hear about.

There is still a known bug in version 1.4.10, when it tries to find a random system near some 'unreachable' systems. (The code worked with 1.74 but gives an error with 1.75)

I fixed this bug some weeks ago but waited with uploading till yesterday. You could try version 1.4.11