Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Deep, deep, deeeeeeeep space travel.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Deep, deep, deeeeeeeep space travel.

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Wow!

Heading into deepest space... Wonder if any contra-bases could be positioned, faaaar out in the opposite direction of the local star and target planet base as per usual. There's a whole deep game in there somewhere...

Intriguing post Lave.

There could be if somebody writes an OXP for it...

I think some experiments have been done on the accuracy of things like collision boxes when the player is out in deepest space and - from memory - things go horribly wrong back near the main station as there isn't enough accuracy for things like bounding boxes for ships to dock successfully...
That's true. The farer out you are, the less precise things become (due to how floating point numbers work). However, you have to be extremely far out for the effect to become annoying. Putting a station somewhere opposite the witchpoint, or even ten times as much won't have any effects on accuracy.

By the way, up until somewhere around Oolite 1.71, there were actually Rock Hermits 'behind' the planet quite often. This was due to a bug which placed the Hermits, which actually were meant to be created between planet and sun, in the 'negative' planet-witchpoint line. Since the bug was fixed and the Hermits are in there correct position between planet and sun, there is nothing anymore going on regularly behind the planet.
CheeseRedux
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CheeseRedux »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Heading into deepest space... Wonder if any contra-bases could be positioned, faaaar out in the opposite direction of the local star and target planet base as per usual. There's a whole deep game in there somewhere...
Diso B (from Diso.oxp, I think) comes to mind. That one takes a bit of traveling to get to. IIRC, it was meant to be part of a more involved thing (mission??), but has thus far been left unfinished.
"Actually this is a common misconception... I do *not* in fact have a lot of time on my hands at all! I just have a very very very very bad sense of priorities."
--Dean C Engelhardt
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Wow!

Intriguing post Lave.

There could be if somebody writes an OXP for it...

I think some experiments have been done on the accuracy of things like collision boxes when the player is out in deepest space and - from memory - things go horribly wrong back near the main station as there isn't enough accuracy for things like bounding boxes for ships to dock successfully...
See the final act of TCAT - where do you think that takes place? :twisted:

And of course why I used intra-system jump gates...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

IIRC Littlebear put some gas giants some huge distance away in Assassins that look planet size in gameplay and take about 40 mins to fly to. I went and had a look cos you have to don't you!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

TGHC wrote:
IIRC Littlebear put some gas giants some huge distance away in Assassins that look planet size in gameplay and take about 40 mins to fly to. I went and had a look cos you have to don't you!
I gave up after about 5 minutes. :(
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Tokus*Maximus wrote:
Wow!

Intriguing post Lave.
I know it's not quite what you mean, but are you aware of Free Trade Zones? You will pick up a criminal record just visiting one (in the opposite direction as the planet, from the Witch Beacon) but you can make a profit that you wouldn't necessarily at the main station, depending on what cargo you hold. Oh, and there are plenty of pirates and other ne'er-do-wells coming and going from them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Smivs wrote:
TGHC wrote:
I gave up after about 5 minutes. :(
You could try again with TAF 8. You'd be there after 5 minutes. :wink:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

What is TAF 8? I thought, searched the board and found that it's some newfangled timewarping accelerator thingy, I don't want to know how it works, but I'll certainly use it.

modern technology these days!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

TGHC wrote:
What is TAF 8? I thought, searched the board and found that it's some newfangled timewarping accelerator thingy, I don't want to know how it works, but I'll certainly use it.

modern technology these days!
Pause the game - tap the right arrow key and the game will speed up 2x, 4x 8x etc. tap the left key and it'll slow down again (Shift+f to see what TAF you're running at)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Funny. I did not think of TAF to reduce the time of waiting, but I did instantly wonder why a 1.5hours trip back was necessary when there's a jump drive fitted to the ship. But then, maybe, all fuel was spent on injectors and no fuel collector installed...

Screet
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Screet wrote:
... but I did instantly wonder why a 1.5hours trip back was necessary when there's a jump drive fitted to the ship...
You underestimate the vastness of space. The 1.5 hours round trip is on jump drive! I wouldn't even consider it while using only fuel injectors. LittleBear placed his gas giants in deep space indeed!
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Commander McLane wrote:
You underestimate the vastness of space. The 1.5 hours round trip is on jump drive! I wouldn't even consider it while using only fuel injectors. LittleBear placed his gas giants in deep space indeed!
Ouch. Seems I've seen too many SciFi movies and didn't play enough. I meant "h" not "j".

Screet
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I just hit J and left the computer alone for a while and then came back after dinner and noted the co-ordinates! :wink: But the idea was to have em a realistic distance out and really big. I think its about 40 mins at J jump speed to get to them. As the Cobra Mk III is meant to do about 1/3rd lightspeed and the J drive increases your speed by about 3, 40 light minutes seemed about right. I only really added the stations near the giants as you can't add a beacon to a planet, so it was really a cheat to give a way of finding the giants with the ASC if the player wanted to have a look at em.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

semi-on topic,
out in deeeeeep space, the guns on a caduceus jump around more than a downhill mountain bikers eyeballs, before rockshox were invented.
I guessed it was because subents get their position from a central point in the Ooniverse somewhere, rather than being positioned relative to the ship.
Not an issue, unless your admiring your ship from external views, which of course isn't possible in real LOofe.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

To quote myself (first post on top of this page):
Commander McLane wrote:
That's true. The farer out you are, the less precise things become (due to how floating point numbers work).