Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Safety switch for weapons?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Nice one indeed! :) I might have some free RL time this weekend too by some bizarre coincidink!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

It must be tomorrow somewhere, ’cos I just went and installed trunk. That does everything nicely, a_c… many thanks.
Even better, at a ‘nod’ from me, Norton’s was perfectly happy to let me install trunk first go.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
a_c-
Is it possible to also allow this weapon toggle to be joystick-button activated, please?
Sure. Please test revision 3776.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

another_commander wrote:
The system has been upgraded to include all weapons, namely lasers, missiles, mines and energy bomb. Missiles and mines can still be armed, circled with 'Y' and get assigned targets in weapons lock mode, but they will not fire until the system is released again. Missiles and mines display is also darkened when locked and a new HUD element, the "Weapons offline" text has been added to the HUD display lists. This switches on when... guess ;-). Also, since the messages indicating status are definable via descriptions.plist, Ganelon's idea of having the ship's computer announcing weapons status is very doable just by enabling the speech option.

The weapons status is saved so that when you load a player saved in "weapons asleep" mode, the same mode will be resumed upon load.

Pics of the system: left is standard, right is with weapons locked.
Image Image

If all goes well, I should be able to roll this in later today.

Edit: And... done. Revision 3774.
I like it!!! Very elegant.
stillsick
Average
Average

Post by stillsick »

REALLY good idea, all this. Who hasn't made a mistake with their guns? Now if you could only lock down the fuel injectors the same way - well, not really but I have used them instead of the brake by accident. Still, hurtling into the station at mach 2 was very, very funny!
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

I have another minor suggestion to add to the lock idea, which is for it to automatically come off lock if you are fired upon or have incoming missiles.

Phantor Gorth
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

ECM could remain "immune" of the lock, since it's (mostly?) not an offensive weapon/act.
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Safety switch for weapons?

Post by curtsibling »

On the same (sort of ) subject...

Could there be implemented a safety for the plasma turrets in game?
When in a battle alongside allies or stations, sometimes my caddy's
guns blast away and I get into deep trouble over a "friendly fire incident!"...

It would be cool to toggle turrets off, before launching into a dogfight...
Naturally when a fight is just the player and pirates, then no holds barred!

:)
***Ship Log***
Ship:Caduceus Omega - Invidious Domain
Legal:Clean
Rating:Dangerous
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

curtsibling wrote:
Could there be implemented a safety for the plasma turrets in game?
Hehe, I've had also many shots fired automatically and hit the wrong ship/station. That's why I did add such a switch a looong time ago but it never made it into trunk. Seems only few people do use ships with turrets.

Of course, that one needs to be switchable without turning all weapons off.

The code change for that is a minor one, though. Very easy to add for yourself, for as long as you're happy with a keypress and adjust your joystick to send that key when a button is pressed.

Screet
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Shouldn't the balance of owning a ship with turreted weapons be the simple fact that sometimes they f*ck up on your behalf?
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

'Twould be a useful thing to have! I'm always wary of getting involved in fights outside the space bars these days, or eliminating Thargoids attacking the station. I've had a few shots go awry, and 'twas costly wiping my status clean! Luckily GalCop are easy to bribe...

Also, if a way to toggle turrets was available, I'd probably hack my version of the Feudal States. They don't allow challengers at their lodges with turrets, and they're not allowed to take part in tournaments either (for good reason - it would be far too easy!). If I could deactivate them, I'd enable myself to play.

It doesn't quite seem realistic to me that a weapons system would be installed which the plot had no control over. With lasers or missiles, you can simply not fire them. With turrets, there is no such option.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Shouldn't the balance of owning a ship with turreted weapons be the simple fact that sometimes they f*ck up on your behalf?
Hmm? Like that energy bomb on tab so that it's more often accidentally activated than it would ever be used? ;)

No. I don't like that idea. That's my ship, it has to do what I want. It should not shoot at everything while defending a station or such.

BTW: I did try to balance it a bit for me by adding energy consumption for turret shots, similar to the energy usage of lasers. That way, it's sometimes required to turn turrets off in order to keep enough energy. However, that one would be *very* difficult to balance for all turreted ships.

Screet
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Let's be logical.

Don't you think by the year 3000AD that someone might have invented an 'off' switch for plasma flak turrets?

:)
***Ship Log***
curtsibling
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by curtsibling »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
It doesn't quite seem realistic to me that a weapons system would be installed which the plot had no control over. With lasers or missiles, you can simply not fire them. With turrets, there is no such option.
Totally agree! :)
***Ship Log***
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Yes there is: Release your target lock.