Station ship selection

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Station ship selection

Post by Phantom Hoover »

I just made a passenger contract to Ascension, thinking that the TL of 16 would mean a wonderful selection of ships to ogle. I arrived there, only to find that it only had some Pythons and some Wolf Mk. IIs. I am severely ticked off by this, and would much appreciate if someone would tell me what the algorithm for which ships turn up is.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Well, on a whim, I poked into Latest.log, and I noticed that Famous Planets (which is what turns Sori, a TL 9 backwater with Ascension) is listed after most other OXPs in the list. Could this be related?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The reason for this is that the TL16 system in Ascension is just a teaser for something that was planned to have been in a bigger oxp project.

That bigger oxp project has become something that might one day become a sister game to Oolite and has branched off a bit. Oolite Extended.

In that one, you have your special ships there indeed. But don't get your hopes up too soon: I am still working on it, but after a development time of three years and possibly still two years of dev ahead plus some potentially thorny licensing issues to be resolved this is science fiction and perhaps even vapor-stuff.

We'll see, and sorry you got your hopes up too early.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Well, yes, I understand that, but having a TL of 16 alone should guarantee a better haul of ships than Pythons and Wolves. Or am I missing something?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The ship selection in a shipyard is just a little more complicated, I'm afraid. For instance, shipyards tend to have ships which require a techlevel close to the station's techlevel. So, in a TL 15-station you would mainly expect to find ships in the range of TL 10-15, rather than ships with TL 1 or 2.

Which means that if you have a station with a techlevel beyond the default range (which is 1-15), ships will get increasingly rare, because all Oolite ships are of course within the range.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

Dammit! Well, time to ply my way to a less high-tech system which doesn't turn its nose up at all of the ships...