Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Reskinning the Neolite Python ET special

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Reskinning the Neolite Python ET special

Post by parazaine »

I just managed to acquire enough credits to buy and fit out a Python ET but I would like to reskin it to personalise it.

Having serached in vain for the skin to modify am I right in assuming that it is some sort of mod of the neolite python?

I tried reskinning the Neolite python but my ET still looks the same.

I cant find this skin in either Neolite or Neolite companion OXP's.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi,
A quick look on the Wiki suggests there are two Python ET versions, one that ships with Aegidians X-ships, and one that comes with Neolite Companion. It seems that these are incompatible.
You will need to know which one you are using, then go into the 'Textures' folder of the OXP where you will find the diffuse-map (image) you need to adapt.
As I personally don't have either OXP installed I can't be much more help (I don't know what the diffuse-map is called for instance) but it should be pretty obvious. If not, go into the shipdata.plist in the 'Config' folder and see what diffuse-map the shipdata.plist points to.
Alternatively, open the .dat file from the 'Models' folder in a text editor and see which diffuse map it refers to.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

If you have the Neolite ET, you should be aware that it's modeled as an sub-entity to the Neolite Python. The skin for the ET model is mostly the engine and a hull that is tucked away out of sight in the Neolite Python hull.
Simon B
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Simon B »

Changing the neolite python diffuse map should change the python-like part of the ET, however, you may have to force a reload (press shift while loading the game) to be sure. This will also change every ship that uses that texture - like the python trader etc.

The ET model is in two parts, so there are two sets of maps for it - the diffuse maps are the things you are used to thinking of as "textures" ... they are names something like "shipname-neolite-diffusemap.png"

Ships I've rigged that way will be a bit harder to hack well than others - doing it properly really means making your own custom python-player, so it is unique to you, then editing the python ET player shipdata.plist entry so it is based of yours instead of the regular python.

Making a custom entry is a matter of copying the python-player entry and pasting it at the bottom of the plist - alter the name field so it is "my-python-player" instead of just "python-player". Then edit the shader sections to use a different texture.

It sounds harder than it is.
Simon Bridge
[re2dux] [neolite]
"Everything is perfect down to every last flaw..."
HBT: The Book of Verse - Principia Discordia