Ah, those stations

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

skodarap wrote:
Main So it's just those OXP spinning stations that are a bother :D
Why? The docking computer can do those too, just target-then-Shift+C for autodocking with them.
One question though - if I understood correctly oxp config files have priority over oolite ones - so I got to change shipdata.plist in oxp folder to slow down the main stations or is it enough to just change it in oolite.app\resources\config? (I got deepspace ships oxp installed and it's got it's own shipdata.plist)
You should make the changes in the OXP files. As a general rule, unless you know exactly what you are doing, you should avoid touching any of Oolite's core resource files.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

skodarap wrote:
Main stations are not the problem anymore since I dumped my cobra mk 3 for adder on the first trip to zaonce, so I had some spare Cr left to get the docking computer among other useful things. So it's just those OXP spinning stations that are a bother :D
The docking computer works for all stations, the only thing that only works for main stations is the insta-dock function. But you can target any station in the game and activate the docking computer with SHIFT-C.
skodarap wrote:
One question though - if I understood correctly oxp config files have priority over oolite ones - so I got to change shipdata.plist in oxp folder to slow down the main stations or is it enough to just change it in oolite.app\resources\config? (I got deepspace ships oxp installed and it's got it's own shipdata.plist)
Depends. Yes, OXP config files have priority. But of course they have to contain the same entries as Oolite's own files in order to overwrite anything. If deepspace.oxp contains the main stations as well and replaces the originals (which I am not sure of off the top of my head) you don't need to bother with the originals, because you won't see them anyway.

One word of advice, though, before you change anything in oolite.app\resources\. It is possible that you mess up something, and as a result Oolite could become unplayable. Therefore it is highly advisable to not change anything inside oolite.app. Instead simply copy and paste the complete file you want to change into your AddOns-folder (you can also create a Config-folder inside your AddOns-folder and put it there). Then only make changes to this copy. As it also will have priority over the original file, this is exactly what you need. And if for some reason you managed to screw the file up, you're not lost, but simply can make another copy of the original and try again.

Oh, and it goes without saying that de-rotating the stations can and will be considered cheating (for instance by me). But the beauty of Oolite is that you are the only person responsible for what you're doing. So you don't need to care about what I think, and go ahead and tweak the game to your own liking. :)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Ganelon wrote:
Docking computer is an option too. But to be honest, if I could sell mine back off, I would. LOL
:shock:

Are you insane? That is one area where I'm okay with losing the immersion factor. Shift+D is your friend! :lol:

[EDIT] Having said that you can't beat rolling around in Space to a bit of good old fashioned Johann Strauss Mk II. 8)
Last edited by Darkbee on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkbee
Oolite: A grOovy Kind of Love
skodarap
Average
Average

Post by skodarap »

Well, I never intended to stop them completely, just halve their speed of rotation.

Oh, and about shift+c, didn't know it worked on all stations. Tried it couple of times but nothing happened. Will test this first as it sounds like a bit more practical solution.

Oh, and I'm aware about changing confing files danger - I have a policy to always search for warnings and such before editing anything (and possible options for certain setting, since things can get out of hand if you over do it).

I know this is offtopic, but still...I've seen warnings not to edit plist files with windows notepad - why exactly it breaks files? (probably should've searched forums first tho) :)
And now for something completely similar...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

skodarap wrote:
I know this is offtopic, but still...I've seen warnings not to edit plist files with windows notepad - why exactly it breaks files? (probably should've searched forums first tho) :)
AFAIK it adds weird (and invisible) characters without asking you (or telling you).
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I believe it's to do with end-of-line characters. Windows, OS X and Linux all use different characters to represent the end of a line of text. Consequently, unless a program is designed to take that into account it will get confused when it sees a file that was not designed for the end-of-line characters it expects, and may insert its own where it sees fit, which changes the file completely. Notepad isn't smart enough basically.
Darkbee
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

If you’re going to get into editing plists, code etc, use something like Notepad++... it’s excellent and it's free.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

You can dock at non-main stations with the docking computer too. I think it's Shift-C or something. You may have to target it with 'R' or 'T' first though.

This actually raises a small question - why do we need a different keystroke to dock at a non-main station? It would seem to be a simplification that if you're within range and hit C, if there is only a single dockable, the docking computer should latch onto that. If there's multiple dockables, you have to first target one. Or even, if you're within S, it will use the currently targeted dockable if you have one, otherwise the main station.

EDIT: Heh, guess I should've read the thread more carefully - my contribution was already contributed earlier.
But the point about simplifying the docking computer controls stands. If no-one objects I'll hack that in this week.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Darkbee wrote:
Are you insane? That is one area where I'm okay with losing the immersion factor. Shift+D is your friend! :lol:
Are -you- insane?!? Shift-D is cheating!
Docking clearance plus only docking when your speed is in the green range is the way to go...

*g* As Cmdr McLane already said - the beauty of Oolite is that it's a personal experience.. so everybody can play as they like!
skodarap
Average
Average

Post by skodarap »

Ok, thanks for your replies.

I know about notepad++, used it couple of times - I just wondered what's the deal with normal one (thought it was encoding issue).

Anyway, yes, shift+c works - been playing around with it for a while and I found out what was the reason for it not working - docking clearance - so much details to pay attention to :lol:

Cheers guys and gals.

p.s. I noticed some of you are actually in the game, will try not to blow you up next time even if you get too chatty ;)
And now for something completely similar...
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Docking Clearance should not affect the Docking Computer (it asks for clearance on your behalf). If it does get affected then that is a bug.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Micha wrote:
Docking clearance plus only docking when your speed is in the green range is the way to go...
Are you insane… try that with fugitive status and a pack of Vipers on your six… ain’t livin’ long like that.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

I don't care what they say... Shift+D is still my friend!

*strokes the 'D' key tenderly*
Darkbee
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Darkbee wrote:
The 'D' key is dastardly! How often have I accidentally vented precious cargo into the emptiness of space? I really ought to remap that someday (I say it every time it happens..)
Darkbee
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Darkbee »

Micha wrote:
Darkbee wrote:
The 'D' key is dastardly! How often have I accidentally vented precious cargo into the emptiness of space? I really ought to remap that someday (I say it every time it happens..)
Okay, I admit it, I've done that too (and cursed the beloved 'D' to boot! :shock: )

But as a labor saving device, you can't beat it!

A remap would be nice though. How does the galactic hyperdrive work (been a while since I've used one in Oolite)? I remember on the Speccy you had to press (hold?) 'G' and then press 'H'. Maybe you could do something similar with the Docking Computer? (e.g. press 'C' and them umm... not 'D')
Darkbee