Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

I can't kill the pirates! UPS or SuperCobra OXP issue?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

I can't kill the pirates! UPS or SuperCobra OXP issue?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi all, thanks for the hard work to make this such a good game. I have a problem, maybe. Got a pirate rock to kill, courtesy of the UPS OXP, I think. All well and good, got to the system before the one where I have to kill the pirate rock and after jumping I just can't kill it. I can fly about, waste all the pirates and spend minutes shooting the rock with military lasers but the thing just sits there. Sometimes pirates come out, kill them, keep shooting the rock. It just sits there. I did similar jobs before and there wasn't a problem, it blew up after a couple of full banks of laser heating BUT that was probably with a Cobra 3, a Boa 2 or an Asp 2. Another odd thing I noticed when trying a few times was that it usually lets me run the cloaking device but I don't think it should in that system. I tried removing all but essential oxps - supercobra and ups - and got the same deal, it wouldn't die. I fired four ecm-resistant missiles, the energy bomb and sat shooting for ages. So, I think something's wrong. Can anyone suggest what to do? Thanks, this is more words than I initially intended, sorry about that! Cheers, Richard.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: I can't kill the pirates! UPS or SuperCobra OXP issue?

Post by Eric Walch »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Hi all, thanks for the hard work to make this such a good game. I have a problem, maybe. Got a pirate rock to kill, courtesy of the UPS OXP, I think. All well and good, got to the system before the one where I have to kill the pirate rock and after jumping I just can't kill it. I can fly about, waste all the pirates and spend minutes shooting the rock with military lasers but the thing just sits there......
Cheers, Richard.
Hello Richard,

Nice to hear you reached the final kill. There are two types of those stations. The second one is indestructible by laser and missiles. (at least is was at the time when I wrote it as we now have plenty more missiles available).

Just fly around a bit more in other systems. I anticipated on this: when you did not manage to kill the rock within a certain number of days, you get a message to use a special weapon for this. Its one of the other original weapon available in plain Oolite. But even than you can't just deploy it but must first destruct the last defense, what can take some effort.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Re: I can't kill the pirates! UPS or SuperCobra OXP issue?

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hello Richard,

Nice to hear you reached the final kill. There are two types of those stations. The second one is indestructible by laser and missiles. (at least is was at the time when I wrote it as we now have plenty more missiles available).

Just fly around a bit more in other systems. I anticipated on this: when you did not manage to kill the rock within a certain number of days, you get a message to use a special weapon for this. Its one of the other original weapon available in plain Oolite. But even than you can't just deploy it but must first destruct the last defense, what can take some effort.[/quote]

Hello Eric - thanks for the speedy response!

Right, then, there are some cargo deliveries nearby so I'll carry on. I did notice that if I blast with MLs for a while then there IS a flash, at least sometimes, maybe I got close. I don't think I had a message telling me to use a special weapon, though.

Thanks again!

Richard