Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

CTD - 1.74.2

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

CTD - 1.74.2

Post by Palmski »

Had my first Oolite CTD last night. [Windows 7 x64 fwiw]

Fighting my way through a swathe of pirates at Ontiat, finally got to the last one, a Fugitive Python, shot him up to the stage where he was venting plasma but my lasers had overheated so I had to wait before finishing him off. I failed to notice the significance at the time but my HUD switched to the "condition green" version before I started shooting again. Once the lasers had cooled I opened up again and boom everything went south.

Nothing in the log, nothing in the Windows event log, and I'm not sure how reproducible it would be because I had sunskimmed my way through about 3 systems before attempting to dock at Ontiat so my last save was quite a while back. I'll be heading back that way again tonight as I was on my way to a mission so if it reoccurs I'll post up a save and steps to reproduce.

Not a lot of use I know, but figured I would post it just in case it is of use.
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

FWIW I've had two more in the last two days (didn't get to play at all over the weekend), both in the middle of large engagements involving multiple pirates along with police and other traders. Nothing in common between the lot of them and nothing on the log.

Guess I'll have to start removing OXPs to see what's what, unless someone can suggest anything else? Upping the logging level perhaps, I gave it a go but all I'm getting are warnings about being unable to parse float values so I probably didn't configure it correctly.

The only odd behaviour I'm seeing is with Target Autolock which keeps locking on to me rather than the ship who is shooting me but I can't imagine that is it otherwise other people would have brought it up and that has been happening for a while.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

There's a bug logged on berlios that might well be the cause of the CTDs you're describing.

Ahruman hasn't yet got round to applying the fix he mentioned, though...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Palmski
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Palmski »

OK more weirdness, similar situation to the first crash I described. Shot an Iguana up and again before it exploded my status turned green indicating there was no more Iguana, except it was still right there in front of me.

This time I wasn't dumb/curious enough to shoot it so no CTD, however I did screenshot it and dump some debug stuff to the log

http://www.palmski.plus.com/Latest.log

It all looks ok apart from the Iguana which is apparently "CLASS_CARGO" which it did appear as in the scanner when I deselected it as a target. Any help to anyone?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Palmski wrote:
It all looks ok apart from the Iguana which is apparently "CLASS_CARGO" which it did appear as in the scanner when I deselected it as a target. Any help to anyone?
This is normal behaviour. Ships that have an escape pod will turn into an empty hull when the pilot ejects. This getting class cargo happens to all ships were the pilot left the ship. It is just in most instances that with a military laser there will be often a second hit that destroys every evidence of the ship. Switch back to a beam laser and you'll see it more often.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

By the way: before the pilot ejected, he shot his last missile in a desperate attempt to avoid the unavoidable. :twisted: You clearly see the light blue dot on the scanner overlaying the white dot of the ship itself.

So, actually there is still no information as to the cause of the crash. If your first crash happened when you finally killed the ship, it may be related to how Oolite handles the explosion (spawning of debris, the explosion effect itself, or anything else related to explosions). I noticed that explosions in 1.74 look different from 1.73, somehow more shiny. Perhaps there is still some bug in the new routine?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

He. Nothing in the log? Only a bunch of errors .-)

Code: Select all

[strings.conversion.vector] OOStringParsing.m:99: ***** ERROR: cannot make vector from '0.3, 0.3, 0.33, 1.0': could not scan a float value.
It looks like materials entries in shipdata and would be interesting if this happens without oxps installed too on your machine...