Naughty cargo, & pea soup & radar weirdness

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Naughty cargo, & pea soup & radar weirdness

Post by Yodeebe »

Helloo.
i came across some particularly naughty pods the other day.

i even got rewards for their destruction.
if i remember right, they all showed yellow on the radar too. :?

Also, several times yesterday something wierd happened to 'time'.
1st of all, i was about to land in a navy station, i think it was, when time slowed down, along with the ship, space and everyone else in space. all ships were moving about like snails. ???
i eventually got my ship into the base, where time reverted back to normal, i did my business (navy stations have the best toilets, don't you know.) then left. all time normal again.

it happened again later.

then later time, the ship & everything sped up!!! flying the ship was like riding a bucking broncoo on steroids.

So, were the navy working on some time altering device?
or have some of my re-wires of the ships electrics in-advertantly invented the basis for the TARDIS engine?
or does time always go slowmo when you need to find a spaceway services?

Another thing i've noticed with 1.74.1 is that when i'm scooping cargo after some traders unfortunate 'accident' i'll normally [Z]oom in on the radar, but if another ship turns up (which may have to be hostile, not sure), the RADAR flips out, repeatedly zooming from 1 to 2, and sounding 'warning hostile vessel' sounds.
any ideas?
maybe i should post up my oxp list for someone to check for incompatibles?

Many thanks space-things.
especially Griff Industries, for my lovely new ship.

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Naughty cargo, & pea soup & radar weirdness

Post by Commander McLane »

Yodeebe wrote:
Helloo.

<image>

Yep, the offender cargo pods bug is an old fellow, and it still seems to exist.

I had a theory once that it was caused by not explicitely setting scanClass in each and every cargo pod's shipdata entry. There is however a problem with this theory: even after I browsed through all cargo pod shipdata entries in my various installed OXPs and added the scanClass-key, still offender cargo pods continue to turn up. :evil: So the theory seems to be wrong. Or I missed some cargo pods, but I don't believe that.

Which means that something else must cause this bug. And I don't have the shadow of an idea what.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Yodeebe wrote:
Also, several times yesterday something wierd happened to 'time'.
1st of all, i was about to land in a navy station, i think it was, when time slowed down, along with the ship, space and everyone else in space. all ships were moving about like snails. ???
i eventually got my ship into the base, where time reverted back to normal, i did my business (navy stations have the best toilets, don't you know.) then left. all time normal again.

it happened again later.

then later time, the ship & everything sped up!!! flying the ship was like riding a bucking broncoo on steroids.

So, were the navy working on some time altering device?
or have some of my re-wires of the ships electrics in-advertantly invented the basis for the TARDIS engine?
or does time always go slowmo when you need to find a spaceway services?
Do you use the Time Acceleration feature by any chance? Or perhaps been setting it inadvertently?

The Time Accelerator (aka TAF) does as you describe, speeding up or slowing down the game. TAF can be set by pausing the game and using your left-arrow key to slow, or right-arrow to speed it up. Pressing shift-F will show you what TAF is set to. A TAF setting of 1.0 is normal game speed.

I see in your screenshot that you're using MilHUD 3.4. It's got a TAF reset feature, that is, the game is set back to normal speed when you dock, jump, or encounter hostiles.
Another thing i've noticed with 1.74.1 is that when i'm scooping cargo after some traders unfortunate 'accident' i'll normally [Z]oom in on the radar, but if another ship turns up (which may have to be hostile, not sure), the RADAR flips out, repeatedly zooming from 1 to 2, and sounding 'warning hostile vessel' sounds.
any ideas?
MilHUD 3.4 is a switching HUD, in that it dynamically switches HUD modes according to condition. It's a feature that the zoom gets reset to 1:1 when the HUD switches mode, and needs manual input - your 'z' key - to scale the zoom back up again.
It should always unzoom to 1:1 when it's mode changes. If it doesn't, or worse, autozooms upward, then we have a problem.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Yodeebe wrote:
Helloo.

I think this behavior is "correct". The barrel you show is the nu-barrel from x-ships ad aegidian-special. (Its in two oxp's). There it is defined without a scanclass and with a bounty of 1. When a ship explodes and the system selects cargopods, the system sets the scanclass for the pods.
However, when a ship explodes and runs a script to add ships with role cargopods, no scanclass is set and you get the behaviour you describe.

For aegidean-special there exists a version 1.2 were this problem is corrected. For the x-ships I don't know if its corrected in the latest release.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
The barrel you show is the nu-barrel from x-ships ad aegidian-special. (Its in two oxp's). There it is defined without a scanclass and with a bounty of 1.
D'oh! I have aegidian-special installed, and I missed the nu-barrel. :oops:

Which, on the other hand, means that my theory is still correct. :)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Hiya.
cool, thanks, aegidian-special.oxp updated.

there's definitely a conflict between milhud out-zooming whilst in-zoom has been selected. it makes the radar un-usable, and the rapidly repeating 'look out' sounds get quite out of control, and rather annoying.
can the auto un-zoom be disabled?

Time acceleration?????
another new one on me. incredible!
you know, i always figured the 'J' jump drive in the original (spekky 48k :shock: ) was meant to be a sort of suspended animation for all on board, to get you through the boring bits of space, and 'zooming along' was just a visual effect of being in SA. i always figured the clocks should zoom too.
I liked the FE2 time warp system. (x10, x 100, x1000 etc) That seemed to fix the boring problem, whilst being relatively feasible.
now i know there's a time accelleration function (on my new ship :wink: )
i might try using that instead of the 'j'. except maybe when tracking Froody Vectors down, waiting for them to run out of fuel. hehehe.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

No. The un-zoom happens as a side effect of changing HUDs, afaik.
But I agree it's annoying to have Oolite change this kind of stuff from under your feet!

We'll see if we can do something about it for the near-ish future.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Yodeebe wrote:
Time acceleration?????
another new one on me. incredible!
you know, i always figured the 'J' jump drive in the original (spekky 48k :shock: ) was meant to be a sort of suspended animation for all on board, to get you through the boring bits of space, and 'zooming along' was just a visual effect of being in SA. i always figured the clocks should zoom too.
The J drive, or as we Oolite space aces like to call it, Torus drive, Hyperspeed or Supercruise, isn't a time accelerator, and only triples the top speed of your ship - so long as you're in the clear with no powered craft or planets nearby.
I liked the FE2 time warp system. (x10, x 100, x1000 etc) That seemed to fix the boring problem, whilst being relatively feasible.
The time accelerator kinda works like the stardreamer in FE2. But ours can slow down time as well. ;)
now i know there's a time accelleration function (on my new ship :wink: )
i might try using that instead of the 'j'. except maybe when tracking Froody Vectors down, waiting for them to run out of fuel. hehehe.
It may work against you if trying to use it to pursue that Vector; TAF speeds up the entire game, including your enemies. Better to punch the J and let him burn up his fuel.

However, when cruising through a busy Corporate State system, the accelerator is way useful. In those systems, I usually dial up the TAF a couple of notches, turn the hyperradio on, crack open a beer, and sit back and enjoy the ride. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:

It may work against you if trying to use it to pursue that Vector; TAF speeds up the entire game, including your enemies. Better to punch the J and let him burn up his fuel.
previously written by Yodeebe wrote:

:wink:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Kaks wrote:
We'll see if we can do something about it for the near-ish future.
OK, it's now fixed in trunk & maintenance.
Switching HUDs doesn't reset the zoom level anymore!

We've got a fair collection of various bugfixes since 1.74.1 already, we might have 1.74.2 coming at some point in the future...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

Any chance i can get a copy of the fixed one?
what should i do, download the 1.75 trunk or something?

cheers.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Yodeebe wrote:
Any chance i can get a copy of the fixed one?
what should i do, download the 1.75 trunk or something?

cheers.
Just wait a few more days. He who is patient gets rewarded.
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

cool. 8)