Galaxy 8 missions?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galaxy 8 missions?

Post by JazHaz »

Are there any OXP missions that start in G8? If not, why not?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Why not? Noone wrote any yet.

Also most people play mostly in the low numbered charts, because thats where you start, and after a few GH there is no real reason to go further unless a mission takes you there. If there are more players in G2 or G3 why would you put your cool mission in G8 where noone will see it?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Cmdr James wrote:
Also most people play mostly in the low numbered charts, because thats where you start, and after a few GH there is no real reason to go further unless a mission takes you there. If there are more players in G2 or G3 why would you put your cool mission in G8 where noone will see it?
Well what about Assassins? People have been raving about it for a long time on here, so I had to go to G7 just to experience it.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Im just giving my opinion for why people dont put their missions in G8.

If you think there should be missions there then write some :p
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

JazHaz wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
Well what about Assassins? People have been raving about it for a long time on here, so I had to go to G7 just to experience it.
LittleBear deliberately put Assassins in G7, so that it wouldn't interfere with any mission in the (mission-wise quite crowded) lower galaxies. After all, Assassins makes permanent changes to quite some systems, so it felt safer for its creator to put it somewhere safe. His other reasoning was that, as you need to have some kills before being able to start Assassins, you don't need to meet it too early in the game. There are (or were at the time) native and OXP-missions in Galaxies 1 to 5, so he chose one of the remaining three. I seem to remember that G6 for some reason looked odd for scripting missions, and G8 seemed very far away, so he settled for G7. That's all.

As a general remark: the more missions (or other scripted changes to the Ooniverse) we have through an ever-growing number of OXPs, the more likely unwanted interferences between things become. Therefore it should still be (and generally is) good practise to choose locations within the eight galaxies wisely, and respect areas which are already taken by other OXPs. And in case of OXPers, it is also highly advisable to to make your claim on a specific region early and clearly. That is the only way to make sure that somebody else isn't working on a conflicting OXP.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Check out my Iron Raven post in expansions forum - my new mission will be set in Galaxy 8. The script isn't actually that disruptive so it could just as easly be located in any of the 'busier' galaxies, but I like the mix of systems in G8 and have already mapped out the geography of the mission.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE