Best gamepad for Oolite Linux

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Best gamepad for Oolite Linux

Post by mcarans »

I'm thinking of buying a dual analog stick gamepad after getting shoulder pains using a mouse and keyboard for too long on my sofa (Hd TV is my monitor).

In particular, I want to be able to configure the one of the two analog sticks to do nose up down left right and the other to do roll and to be able to configure the buttons for docking, missiles etc.

I read about centring issues with some controllers, so I'd like to avoid any that have this sort of issue.

Can anyone recommend a dual analog stick gamepad that works in Linux and works well with Oolite?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You can delete your posts in the other thread (as long as it’s the latest post), using the ‘x’ in the top right hand corner.

I believe that DaddyHoggy uses a dual stick gamepad and Linux… he’ll be along at some time, I’m sure.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Thanks. Done.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I believe DaddyHoggy uses a ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog 2. Is that right?

Not sure if I can buy that one now but would other Thrustmasters be OK eg. Thrustmaster F1 or Thrustmaster Run n Drive?

I read that people had problems with XBox 360 controller centring - is that still the case?
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

Recently bought one of these: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/co ... evices/288 and I'm very happy with it. Works perfectly under both Windows and Linux. Having 12 programmable buttons allow one to configure it quite nicely...

Cheers.
el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Post by el_Paraguayo »

SiriusCG wrote:
Recently bought one of these: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/co ... evices/288 and I'm very happy with it. Works perfectly under both Windows and Linux. Having 12 programmable buttons allow one to configure it quite nicely...
Care to share your configuration with us? I have that controller too but never thought about using it with Oolite (I like the safety of a keyboard! :?)
Commander Flashheart, Cobra Mk 1. "I've got a plan, and it's as hot as my pants!"
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

In Oolite Linux with your Logitech dual action gamepad:

1. Is there any problem with centre drift with precision mode on or off?
2. Are you able to configure all the buttons in Linux for Oolite?
3. Have you configured the analog sticks for yaw, pitch and roll?
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

I've found center drift to be way less of an issue on Linux, than it is in Windows. YMMV, though.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

mcarans wrote:
I believe DaddyHoggy uses a ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog 2. Is that right?

Not sure if I can buy that one now but would other Thrustmasters be OK eg. Thrustmaster F1 or Thrustmaster Run n Drive?

I read that people had problems with XBox 360 controller centring - is that still the case?
I must mention that a lot!! That is indeed what I use and in Oolite it works without any fiddling and you could be right about not being bale to buy them any more - which is a shame as mine is just showing the earliest signs of drift on the right thumb stick

EDIT: Although the Analogue 3 is still around and looks exactly the same!

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/9228799/T ... oduct.html
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

These are my possible choices:

ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog 3 £9:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/94923?utm ... m=products
Pros: Daddyhoggy has it working well in Oolite/Linux
Cons: Some user reviews say D-Pad is really bad (Daddyhoggy - how do you find the D-Pad?)

Logitech Dual Action gamepad £18:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/183475?ut ... m=products
Pros: SiriusCG happy with it for Oolite - waiting for confirmation from SiriusCG on drift and configuration
Cons: Some reviews refer to fragility

XBox360 controller £15:
http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories-Compu ... comtroller
Pros: Has good reviews - many people say this is the best gamepad for PC
Cons: Some people on this forum say they have had problems with Oolite
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I don't use the D-Pad much, but it can be a little inaccurate, I'd agree with that - there's not a huge amount of feel to it and it can be a bit awkward but mainly trying to get the diagonals.

I think I just used the d-pad for changing views and I don't remember that being an issue... (I'll go back and check that and let you know!)

The 2x2 shoulder buttons are nicely placed as are the inner left and right buttons for the middle fingers.

As well as Oolite I use this gamepad for playing Trackmania Sunrise and it gives very nice control for both steering (left/right - left stick) and throttle (up/down - right stick).
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

DaddyHoggy, thanks very much for your feedback. Sounds like you have fully optimised your setup for Oolite.

SiriusCG, any comment about any cemtre drift issues and configuration of your Logitech? el_Paraguayo, have u tried it in Linux with Oolite yet?

Anybody tried successfully or otherwise with an XBox 360 controller in Oolite on Linux?

Any other gamepads I've missed?
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

I sent some private messages to those who had mentioned they had certain controllers in various posts in the past.

For the benefit of others, here is some feedback:
For the XBox 360 controller, it seems that in Windows it works fine with Oolite, but in Linux, there are problems with yawing.

Has anyone else had this problem or have you got the Xbox 360 gamepad working fine in Linux Oolite?

Anyone else tried the ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog and care to comment on it?

I'm awaiting further feedback on the Logitech Dual Action gamepad.
mcarans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mcarans »

Latest feedback is Logitech Dual Action gamepad works perfectly in Windows and Linux Oolite.

So the Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual Analog 3 and Logitech Dual Action gamepad work perfectly in Linux Oolite. Xbox 360 controller has problems.

Going to post a question about it in the Linux forum - I found this - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/ - wondered if anyone had tried it?

Interestingly it claims to support the Thrustmaster Dual Power 3 gamepad as well, so wonder if it would work with the Dual Analog 3.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

el_Paraguayo wrote:
SiriusCG wrote:
Care to share your configuration with us? I have that controller too but never thought about using it with Oolite (I like the safety of a keyboard! :?)
Greets! Pretty much it's a "plug n play" setup. I use the sticks for directional control, the 4-way tilt for viewpoints, the index finger switches for weapon firing and speed controls and the remainder for things like targeting, depending on what OXPs I have installed.

The configuration dialog in Oolite makes it a snap to set things up the way one likes.

Cheers.