Unreachable systems.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Unreachable systems.

Post by RustiSwordz »

I noticed especially in G6 There are several systems where you cant fly to because they are beyond your ships range.

Is this intentional for some story/plot based reason or just the way the galaxys were made?
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Just the way the galaxies were made! You can now engineer a jump to the unreachable cluster from galaxy 5 with a suitable oxp, but no-one has published such an oxp yet! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
RustiSwordz
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by RustiSwordz »

Be fun to incorporate them into the game somehow, for example a civil war or something and you have to take part before they give yo the means to jump away or something. ;)
'It's big and round and needs a big round sounding word! G-R-O-U-N-D! That's it Ground! I wonder if it will be friends with me...'

Website www.richarddaborn.co.uk lots of sci-fi art.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You can get across the Great Rift in G7 using the Fuel Collector oxp, but it takes a long time, and it’s a one way trip. Once in the Five Points cluster, the only way out is to gal-jump on through to the eighth.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

El Viejo wrote:
You can get across the Great Rift in G7 using the Fuel Collector oxp, but it takes a long time, and it’s a one way trip.
How does that work then? Can you give us more detail?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

El Viejo wrote:
You can get across the Great Rift in G7 using the Fuel Collector oxp, but it takes a long time, and it’s a one way trip. Once in the Five Points cluster, the only way out is to gal-jump on through to the eighth.
I thought so also, but recently discovered its possible to jump back from a spot in interstellar space that lies a few systems to the east compared were you entered it. And instead of the fuel collector you can also buy some fuelpods to facilitate the jump from interstellar space.
Kaks wrote:
but no-one has published such an oxp yet!
Not true, Cataclysm lets you buy special equipment to allow such jumps :lol:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Get yourself over to either Maedrebe or Tiared and lay-in a jump between them. Force a mis-jump, and deal with the Thargoids that’ll be waiting. If you don’t get snuffed, you’ll find yourself at the midway point with no quirium fuel… but the navcomp will show Articeso at six point eight lights. Then all you've got to do is cruise for hours, and the Fuel Collector will fill the tank … but oh so slowly.
Eric Walch wrote:
but recently discovered its possible to jump back from a spot in interstellar space that lies a few systems to the east compared were you entered it.
Rats... missed that one. I'll have to take a look at that... thanks Eric.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Open up your planetinfo.plist and find this part inside the universal section:

Code: Select all

// Uncomment the desired behaviour for galactic hyperspace exit. Fixed coordinates will put the arrival
	// of an intergalactic jump on map coordinates specified by the key galactic_hyperspace_fixed_coords.
	"galactic_hyperspace_behaviour" = 	"BEHAVIOUR_STANDARD";
						//"BEHAVIOUR_ALL_SYSTEMS_REACHABLE";
						//"BEHAVIOUR_FIXED_COORDINATES";

// When using BEHAVIOUR_FIXED_COORDINATES, the key below is used to specify the
	// actual fixed coordinates for the intergalactic jump.
	"galactic_hyperspace_fixed_coords" = 	"96 96";
BEHAVIOUR_STANDARD lands you in the next galaxy on the coordinates closest to your previous position on a system that is not isolated. This is the game default, which guarantees that you will not be stranded in space after a galactic jump.

BEHAVIOUR_ALL_SYSTEMS_REACHABLE is as above, but it does not check for isolated systems. With this, you land in the next galaxy, on the nearest planet to your previous coordinates - period. If this is an isolated system, tough. Good for mission OXPs.

BEHAVIOUR_FIXED_COORDINATES is the old 8- and 16-bit Elite versions behaviour. If you choose that, you can specify which exactly these coordinates will be by adjusting the last line of the code above.

You can choose your preferred behaviour by commenting / uncommenting as required. Remember to Shift-start after such changes have been made.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

It is possible to reach all the isolated systems via gal-hyperspace (I think) but not possible to leave them all (because you need to purchase a gal-hdrive at TL11, or maybe TL10 if you're lucky). Not every dwarf galaxy, or minor cluster, has a TL10/11+ available. The easiest option would be to enable G-hdrive purchase at one of the planets, if that's possible.
There is a TL10 in the G3 isolated region, and a G-hdrive might be available there.
The two isolated regions in G6 already have a TL13 and a TL12 available.
There's half a dozen options in G7 - but with 3 pylon-mounted fuel tanks Fuel Tank v2.1.oxp entry & exit from this dwarf galaxy is already possible.
That only leaves Oresrati TL5 in G8 where a G-hdrive is very unlikely to be offered for sale without some sort of oxp..
Is it possible to enable G-hdrive purchase here without changing TL?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. I'm trading between Atlaar TL8 & Ditere TL10 in the isolated region of galaxy 3. So far no galactic hyperdrive has been offered for sale at Ditere. Will there never be one for sale? or does each trade-jump carry a certain % chance that galactic hyperdrive will be there?
Sometimes I can get one at TL10, elsewhere - but I've never kept tally of whether they're the same ones..
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

If you have Galactic Navy OXP installed, you can buy galactic hyperdrives at any SECOM station. I think GN puts Sector Commands in each of the isolated areas.

EDIT: suggest checking the vector maps on the wiki, here.
Last edited by JazHaz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
or does each trade-jump carry a certain % chance that galactic hyperdrive will be there?
Sometimes I can get one at TL10, elsewhere - but I've never kept tally of whether they're the same ones..
There is only a random variation of one level. Once every 7 game days all the available equipment drops one level. So jump in and out until you have seen all 7 days. One day of them should sell more. But during play you need a calculator to find that day every time. And calculate your jumps to arrive at the right day :D
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

JazHaz wrote:
Zbond-Zbond wrote:
p.s. I'm trading between Atlaar TL8 & Ditere TL10 in the isolated region of galaxy 3. So far no galactic hyperdrive has been offered for sale at Ditere.
If you have Galactic Navy OXP installed, you can buy galactic hyperdrives at any SECOM station. I think GN puts Sector Commands in each of the isolated areas.

EDIT: suggest checking the vector maps on the wiki, here.
Just checked my copy of the G3 vector map. Atlaare & Ditere are not GN Sector Commands.... :(

If you're stuck then you can always edit your save file and cheatily give yourself a GH.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

well, thank-you for those rapid replies :)
The Navy Sector Command stations only cover Galaxy 7 dwarf galaxy, but I don't think this is really much of a problem - more like "intriguing"
Eric Walch wrote:
But during play you need a calculator to find that day every time. And calculate your jumps to arrive at the right day
strewth - sounds complicated - next thing we'll need a computer to play :mrgreen:
..and all comments appreciated, of course/I will try to write something when RealLife™ ceases its deluded ire
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Eric Walch wrote:
There is only a random variation of one level. Once every 7 game days all the available equipment drops one level
I've been travelling between Altaar…TL8 & Ditere…TL10 (an isolated pair) in galaxy 3, docking at the TL10 station at least every day.
I'm assuming that the blue bit of the following date is the day count:

2089591:02:35:32

So satrting off at "day 77" .. ..

2089577:hh:mm:ss

I docked at approximately

2089578:00:00:00
2089579:00:00:00
2089580:00:00:00
2089581:00:00:00
2089582:00:00:00
2089583:00:00:00
2089584:00:00:00 (or thereabouts); this is the 7th day, I take it, but a galactic hyperdrive had not become available. Continuing for another 7 days, docking at least whenever the day clicked over .. ..

2089585:00:00:00
2089586:00:00:00
2089587:00:00:00
2089588:00:00:00
2089589:00:00:00
2089590:00:00:00 (or thereabouts) until "day 91" which arrived at
2089591:02:35:32, I still found no galactic hyperdrive available at the TL10 shipyard. Does equipment drop one level, every seven days, at all shipyards? I use galactic hyperspace quite a lot, and also purchase extra fuel tanks frequently, so have noticed that - although Gal H-drive & ExtraFuelTank are normally sold at TL11 and 7 respectively - they are sometimes offered at TL10/TL6. It's worth checking, if the higher TL's are not nearby, but I'd never twigged the 7 day cycle, and have never kept track of which TL10/6's had had the equipment, either. Will a galactic hyperdrive ever become available at Ditere TL10? or should I abandon plan 1 (= continue waiting for gal hdrive to turn up at TL10 Ditere + escape galaxy) and implement plan 2 :?: :?:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, it is random, so the 7 days thing is not 100% guaranteed. Still, with some more luck & perseverance, you should be able to eventually get that gh... :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)