Where's me dock? :-(

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Where's me dock? :-(

Post by Killer Wolf »

anyone got any thoughts :
modelled a new station, Coriolis-esque, a model w/ a dock slot at origin.
loaded it up, spawns fine, but i can't see my dock. the dock is there, i get the blue bounding box and the red one, and i can dock, but it's just not appearing in game. there's no errors in the log, i've copied shipdata stuff from my Nuit and as a last resort i assigned the Nuit shaders, still nowt.

edit : right, it's there, i shifted it forward and i can see it : the prob is, it's inside out. as per my Nuit, i modelled a box, chopped off the front and painted it : the faces in the Nuit (less i'm forgetting something really important) were transparent so i had to paint in reverse and you could still see them on approach. as far as i recall, i didn't turn the Nuit dock inside out, so what's happened between then and now? i'm using the newest OBJ2DAT, that's the only difference i can think of.

cheers....
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

You have to paint the inner walls of that box.

In Wings3D, select the dock object and then Invert it (right click, select Invert from pop-up menu) before exporting to .obj - voilá.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

that did it. the original instructions said that but i didn't write it in my how-to guide so i missed it out. i suck.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Meh. This also applies if you want to create specific shape tunnels to go with specific shape docks.

It took me positively ages to figure that one out when adding the rectangular tunnel effect for 1.74... (the hexagonal tunnel effect for rock hermits took considerably less time to make! Well, it wasn't even made by me, which reduced the time I spent on it quite considerably too! :) )
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)