Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Am I missing something

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Am I missing something

Post by el_Paraguayo »

Firstly I have to say I'm so glad I found this game. I remember being in awe of the graphics on the BBC...

Next up, I tried to get the username Flashheart but I suspect there's another Blackadder fan out there who's already taken it...

Now my question:

I've just moved into G2 and completed the Constrictor mission.

The problem I've got is that I keep getting picked off by missiles that aren't killed by my ECM. I don't mind that the ECM sometimes fails as I've read about the ECM hardened missiles but what does slightly bother me is that my shields seem to offer no protection against the missiles.

Is this right? or am I missing some upgrade?

My Cobra Mk 1 has got:
ECM
Extra Energy Unit
Shield Boosters

Is there anything that can give me some more protection?

Thanks all,

el_P
X
Above Average
Above Average

Post by X »

A Cobra Mk1? You traded down?

Your shields do offer protection against missiles... just not enough.

Aside from the ECM and a certain other piece of hardware that you probably won't be able to get anytime soon, there isn't something to pop hardheads; at least in an un-modded game. I'd suggest buying some Fuel injectors, if you can't dodge the missile, you can always run away from it.

As for ship enhancements, the Navy's got more than their fair share of secret doohickeys, but you're going to need to show them you're worth it.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hi el Paraguayo and welcome to ‘the friendliest forum this side of Riedquat’.

I recommend an upgrade to a Cobra III… with that a ‘Military Shield Enhancement’ is very useful, as is a certain ‘Naval Energy Unit’.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Post by el_Paraguayo »

X wrote:
A Cobra Mk1? You traded down?
Yup - wanted some cash early on to buy military laser (trading was a bit too slow for me)

Sounds like I need to get some cash then...

Thanks both for the tips.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Hello and welcome,
El Viejo wrote:
… with that a ‘Military Shield Enhancement’ is very useful,...
absolutely.
When I was upgrading ship but unable to afford military shield enhancement with it, I kept dying all the time. :P

If I remeber correctly, it doubles the shield protection, resp. quadruples it compared to a naked ship.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

As above really, and again consider the upgrade to Mk III Cobra, which has four energy banks as opposed to the two your Mk I has.
The Mil shield boosters are probably the best mod you can get at the moment but are really expensive, so the fuel injectors should be high on your 'wants' list as they will allow you to outrun a missile (provided you've got fuel of course).
On this point, seriously consider getting fuel scoops and heat shielding. This will allow you to fly to the sun and re-fuel for free which is a good tactic after a long jump. You can then approach the planet with a full tank which has all sorts of advantages, and if you also get an advanced space compass you can find the witchpoint again if you want to. Also fuel scoops allow you to pick up cargo and escape capsules...free money!
For what it's worth I did the same as you (sell the Mk III to get more kit early on) and it's a valid tactic in my mind, but an upgrade is wise as soon as you can.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Oops, according to the Wiki, you can't get military shield enhancement with a Cobra Mk.1. :oops:
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If the game's collision detection is accurate enough and the missile's on your 6...you could try dropping a LOT of cargo and hope it gets hit instead. :lol:
el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Post by el_Paraguayo »

Ok - some great tips there. Thank you everyone.

It sounds like I need to do some hunting and collect some cargo and start saving for my next ship although I'll miss my Mk 1, we've been through a lot together.

So I need, MK 3, militar lasers, fueld injectors, fuel scoops, heat shields, military shields. It's going to be expensive!

I've got Random Hits installed so I might take on a few missions to increase my cash, although it keeps sending me to opposite ends of the universe, sorry ooniverse. Very annoying.

Lastly, I always wondered my my screenshots never looked like everyone else's even when my shader setting was on full. Then I found the reduced detail setting (or whatever it's called) and, oh my god, space is suddenly far more beautiful!
Commander Flashheart, Cobra Mk 1. "I've got a plan, and it's as hot as my pants!"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

el_Paraguayo wrote:

I've got Random Hits installed so I might take on a few missions to increase my cash, although it keeps sending me to opposite ends of the universe, sorry ooniverse. Very annoying.
This is where the fuel scoops pay for themselves. Drop out of hyperspace and head straight for the sun under jump-drive. While you're on the way set the co-ordinates for the next planet. At the sun, as soon as your fuel tank is full (or even when there's enough fuel for the next jump), hit the hyperspace button and you're off. You can cover vast distances really quickly like this.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

If you have fuel tanks OXP installed, each missile tube can be a 3 LY fuel tank. They're one-shots and if they overfill your main 7 LY range, you lose the excess.
el_Paraguayo
Average
Average

Post by el_Paraguayo »

Smivs wrote:
This is where the fuel scoops pay for themselves. Drop out of hyperspace and head straight for the sun under jump-drive. While you're on the way set the co-ordinates for the next planet. At the sun, as soon as your fuel tank is full (or even when there's enough fuel for the next jump), hit the hyperspace button and you're off. You can cover vast distances really quickly like this.
It's so obvious (the clue's in the name fuel scoops) yet I didn't think of that! I just use them for picking up goods that people carelessly drop in front of me (they might need some gentle encouragement first though...)
Commander Flashheart, Cobra Mk 1. "I've got a plan, and it's as hot as my pants!"
BlackKnight
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by BlackKnight »

And don't forget the Fuel Collector as well - comes from an OXP called, not surprisingly, the Fuel Collector OXP.

It may not be the fastest way to stretch your legs (and you need working fuel scoops too) but it still saves the odd few credits if you are feeling really, really tight-fisted.
You really want to know what's gonna happen, Ambassador? Boom. Boom boom. Boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. BOOM!
Chrisfs
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Chrisfs »

I can understand the need for cash. Cobra 1 is a bit too low though, I would go for a Moray. (maybe with a cargo extension). Cheaper but still nice.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Moray with CBE
won't work.

a) Only the med-Moray is extendable. And that one is just as expensive as a Cobra Mk3.
b) The only Oolite-pure ships affordable from Cobra-3-resale value are the Adder and the Cobra1. 8)