Managing add ons...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Managing add ons...

Post by SiriusCG »

There was some discussion going on in another thread about a method to manage add ons, and the complexity, lack of version control, etc...

I thought I'd toss this out...

JSGME is a free program, for Windows only, that I used extensively when I was playing and modding Silent Hunter IV: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/softwa ... jsgme.html The SH IV mod team was developing mods continuously and JSGME allowed us to create, save and restore game configs very, very easily while testing.

I now use JSGME to manage the oxp files in my Windows Oolite install. It takes only a small effort to package up oxp files so JSGME will install them into the correct AddOns directory.

Installing JSGME is simple. Just be sure to install in in the root directory of your Oolite program. For me, jsgme.exe gets installed in F:/Oolite. Follow the prompts and accept the defaults. When you're more comfortable with the program you can do some customizing.

Run JSGME and READ THE HELP FILE by clicking on the "Help" option. Really, the instructions are useful and will help prevent you from tearing your hair out getting your mods set up.

Step #4 is where you need to do a little repackaging of your oxp files so JSGME will install them in the AddOns folder correctly. Using globestation2.0 as an example, here's what I do (using my desktop in this example):

1. Place the globestation2.0.oxp file on my desktop.
2. Left click on the desktop and create a new folder called Globestation2.0
3. Open the Globestation2.0 folder
4. Create a new folder called AddOns inside it.
5. Open the AddOns folder
6. Drag the globestation2.0.oxp file into the AddOns folder.
7. Close the AddOns and Globestation2.0 folders.
8. Using 7zip (or whatever archive program you fancy) create a GlobeStation2.0.zip file.

That's it, the original .oxp file is placed correctly for JSGME to install it.

To install your oxp, simply open the .zip file and drag the Globestation2.0 folder either into the "Available mods" window if JSGME is open, or directly into the "MODS" directory in your Oolite directory.

Using JSGME, follow the directions to install your oxp, you DID read the Help file so you know how to do this, right? :) and there you go.

[EDIT] After making changes with JSGME. don't forget to hold down the SHIFT key while Oolite is loading so your new configuration will take effect... :wink:

Hope you might find this helpful. Cheers.
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

SiriusCG wrote:
JSGME is a free program, for Windows only
I had once suggested an open source program that was linux based as a starting point (i.e. somewhere to nick code from) but was pointed out that we need a cross platform solution. When you think about it, it would be a mistake to have a solution that only worked for Windows as then you would need to package it twice. Once for Windows and as currently done for Linux and Mac.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

True enough. A cross-platform solution would be better overall, but for some JSGME can fill a need now, without much hassle.

I've been considering coding a similar program like JSGME that would be cross-platform. However, while I have a number of years coding C/C++ and several scripting languages, I have no experience with Objective C... yet. :wink:

Cheers.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

One of the main aims of an OXP manager, which this solution doesn't address, is to have an online repository of all (participating) OXPs.

The OXP manager could then show not only the OXPs which are currently installed (whether or not enabled), but also any updates to already installed OXPs and any OXPs which are not installed locally. Ideally it would also highlight any compatibility or dependency issues between OXPs and the currently installed version of OOlite.

The locating, downloading, and upgrading of your OXPs when you haven't played for a couple of weeks is, IMHO, the most tedious aspect of OXP management if you have more than a handful installed.

As for ObjC - an OXP manager could be written in any cross-platform language. The Debug Console, for example, is written in Python for Windows and Linux (it's built-in to Oolite on the Mac iirc).
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Phantom Hoover
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Phantom Hoover »

It wouldn't be that hard in a technical sense to build a repository on the wiki: there are already frameworks for Perl and Python that allow manipulation of MediaWiki wikis. This could also make for fairly easy updating, as it is as simple as editing a page. The problem is then how to get the repository built in the first place.
SiriusCG
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by SiriusCG »

One of the main aims of an OXP manager, which this solution doesn't address, is to have an online repository of all (participating) OXPs.
Right. JSGME simply provides an easy to deploy temporary solution for Windows users until a more suitable solution can be implemented...

Cheers.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Micha wrote:
It's coming.. with luck, only a couple of months away now..

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=7853
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied