Docking with hostile stations

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Docking with hostile stations

Post by Cmdr James »

I know we previously discussed docking with Thargoid carriers, but I have recently been looking at the docking computer, and it seems strange that I can happily ask a Pirate Cove (Rock Hermit) to dock, and he will give me permission, and guide me in while also launching fighters to attack.

Anyone want to give input into the correct/expected behaviour?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Docking with hostile stations

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
I know we previously discussed docking with Thargoid carriers, but I have recently been looking at the docking computer, and it seems strange that I can happily ask a Pirate Cove (Rock Hermit) to dock, and he will give me permission, and guide me in while also launching fighters to attack.

Anyone want to give input into the correct/expected behaviour?
It seems logical in how pirate cove was written. It want to disguise as a rock hermit to lure innocent traders in its area. When they willingly dock there, its even better.

Problem is just that the pirate cove never could harm such a docked, innocent trader. (Maybe rip off some equipment like random hits does?) Starting with 1.74, a pirate cove could completely remove all cargo from a clean ship before allowing it to launch again. That would fit to the character of such a station.

Eric
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Thats true.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

That's how the Renegade Stations are scripted. You can dock with them, but if you're clean you'll be ripped off and spewn out again. :twisted:
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Right. It feels perhaps that the docking computer should disengage once the target identifies itself as hostile, but Im not sure about that.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The quality of the docking computer's AI could argue against that happening.. it's barely up to the job it's programmed to do.. I think it's more likely the Commander would be the one to say "Oh sh*t!" and disengage the dock-comp themselves...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
Right. It feels perhaps that the docking computer should disengage once the target identifies itself as hostile, but Im not sure about that.
It should, but I don't think it is possible for the core game to decide things. You can have a station in Idle state that still sends out defenders.

And player being fugitive is actually also not valid criteria for refusal as he might be welcome in a pirate station.

I think the only way would be custom scripts. That would need that the current docking clearance also sends a message to the station script. Than that script should have the final word in setting docking permission for that approaching ship.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
And player being fugitive is actually also not valid criteria for refusal as he might be welcome in a pirate station.
I know that this is said to be extremely undoably complicated, but if it was possible to save at any station and not just the main one refusing docking to players under "circumstance X" would not be so difficult - or isn't a main problem with that that also a fugitive player should be able to save their game somewhere?

Otherwise, there's four possible basic situations, aren't there:
1) Docking at a friendly station
2) Docking at a hostile station, but docking & trading possible
3) Docking just so possible at a hostile defending station, no trading or services and spewed out again minus cargo and/or equipment
4) Docking not possible at all

Just my 0.2Cr.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

This is something on the to-do list in TCAT (although at the top of which is "carry on with the damn thing and stop procrastinating), as there will be a Thargoid station or two therein. And there docking comp's would be a bit weird...