Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Galactic Navy

Post by Commander Trigg »

OK, so I'm only on my second mission with the galactic navy reserves. Th mission is to rout the thargoid invaders at onrira. So I fly to Onrira, join up with the reserve squadron and start the patrol... and that's pretty much it. I
see a few debris fields, but no thargoids?

Anyone feel like offering a little help here?
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Galactic Navy

Post by JazHaz »

Commander Trigg wrote:
OK, so I'm only on my second mission with the galactic navy reserves. Th mission is to rout the thargoid invaders at onrira. So I fly to Onrira, join up with the reserve squadron and start the patrol... and that's pretty much it. I
see a few debris fields, but no thargoids?

Anyone feel like offering a little help here?

Is this the mission where you get there and there is only 6 ships, cobbys etc, no capital ships, flying towards the planet in formation?

If so, then like you nothing seemed to happen for me. So what I did was to inject ahead of the group and then fly on to the station. Where I found a single Thargoid, probably about to attack the station.

But anyway, my advice with that mission is to fly about on your own and see if you can locate the Thargoids yourself. They are there.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Thanks for the tip - I found me a thargoid!

Of course, when a Cobra Mk III comes up against a Thargoid battleship there's usually only one winner...
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Commander Trigg wrote:
Of course, when a Cobra Mk III comes up against a Thargoid battleship there's usually only one winner...
Yeah, the battleships are tough. Never fear though, with a bit of practice and multiple military lasers victory can be yours. Just remember to keep your distance.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Nukes OXP can make bugger battleships much easier to defeat. Certainly helped me, I blasted at least three already.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Sarin wrote:
Nukes OXP can make bugger battleships much easier to defeat. Certainly helped me, I blasted at least three already.
Problem with the nuclear missile, is that although its a hardened missile, like the normal hardheads they can be destroyed by ECMs, which the Thargoids have. So you may have got lucky.

Also these missiles are sloooowww.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Mission accomplished! I had a fair amount of success using hit and run tactics - unleashing a full charge from my front laser then getting the hell out of there till it cooled down again for another pass.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Right on Commander!
I usually fit a second milly laser on the rear, so I can use that when running away from the things :)
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

JazHaz wrote:
Sarin wrote:
Problem with the nuclear missile, is that although its a hardened missile, like the normal hardheads they can be destroyed by ECMs, which the Thargoids have. So you may have got lucky.

Also these missiles are sloooowww.
well, my score with nukes is 3/4, so it is not so bad with ECMs...
aft military is definitely a good idea, bugs are easy to hit...
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Have been discussing GalNavy on another The Trading Game thread, see here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=103178#103178

Have been having problems with Victory Bonds. I previously had bought about 20-25 bonds, however when I realised that I would need to buy very many more to start getting the benefits back, I stopped buying them for some weeks.

Recently however when I visited my local Secom station I found that my total had reset to zero.

From my saved game file:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_vicbond_count</key>
	<string>0</string>
Has anyone else had this problem? I have editted the above variable to fix the problem but wondering if it is a bug in the OXP?

I am running v5.2.2 of GalNavy on Oolite 1.73.4.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
Cheers,
Drew.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't see anything in the script that would decrement or reset the number of your vicbonds. I don't have Galactic Navy installed, but I tried it out once and remember to have bought lots of Victory Bonds. Yet there is no trace of it in my save-file. Perhaps I decided to delete the line when I uninstalled the OXP? Don't remember.

The variable is created on your first launch after installing the OXP, in a way that if it should be undefined, it is set to 0. That would mean that if for some weird reason it should ever become undefined again, it would be reset to 0 on next launch. However, I can't imagine any situation in which an existing mission variable should become undefined, except when deleted by a script. The Galactic Navy script doesn't do that, at least not in the version I have (4.0).
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Yeah, the battleships are tough. Never fear though, with a bit of practice and multiple military lasers victory can be yours. Just remember to keep your distance.
Yes, took one out today. I have Mil lasers back and front and switch end to end when tackling something super-tough. I reckon it took about six persistent blasts and a few single hits, so you'll need to be pretty tough yourself as you WILL take hits. I've tried hardhead missiles but the Thargoids ECM seems better than ours...none have got through, but I have considered firing two or three rapidly (within a second?) to see if one gets through. Has anyone tried this?
By the way, energy bombs work a treat, but make sure there are no System Vessels or 'Clean' civvies in the area!
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

If you've got the funds, try fitting mil guns on your flanks as well. The yaw control will let you pump some extra rounds into them and give your more frequently used weapons a chance to cool. Plus, the faster you gun them down the less damage they'll do to you.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky