Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How long to grill a trumble?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

allikat
Deadly
Deadly

How long to grill a trumble?

Post by allikat »

Well, I got myself a trumble, and they're multiplying at an annoying rate, I did the recommended thing to reduce the problem, but even after getting things hot, there was no reduction. Any suggestions?

Is it an altitude thing? Or simply not grilling for long enough? I have the heat shields for sun-dives, maybe that's hindering the process?
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Ah, never mind, I didn't have the grill set high enough. Problem solved.

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Enjoy your burgers! :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Indeed, the trick is to set it at a high enough temperature and keep it there for long enough for the trumble to become "well done".

Of course the problem then is not to extend the "well done" to other organic matter on your ship... :roll:
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Yep, with heat shielding, it takes so long to get hot enough, the problem is then that it's easy to overcook things. Out of 3 tries, I've succeeded once, failed once, and managed to overcook 7ly worth of Quirium once...

Edit: 3 times... escape pod time, these things are just too hard to keep under control.

allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Gah, I must be the unluckiest person in the ooniverse, 6 escape pods, and the darn trumble infestation is still with me...

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

ProTip: You can abandon ship forever, and still one of them will find its way to your pod. Running away from them is not a viable solution.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Thanks AC, time to cook things up until the required result is gained.

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

allikat wrote:
Thanks AC, time to cook things up until the required result is gained.
Others have found tearing through the atmosphere of a planet at low level is also effective and more controllable...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander Trigg
Competent
Competent

Post by Commander Trigg »

I didn't take the trumble mission when it was offered - I assume I can edit the line in my save file to something so that I can take it now, or is it not worth that much effort?
Now over 1000 confirmed kills. Bring on the bad guys!
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

I think it will be offered again if your cash level dips below the threshold (just over 6000 I think) and then breaks it.
Both pods oxp. and personalities oxp. also provide a chance to gain a trumble, just make sure you have plenty of BBQ sauce on hand. :twisted:
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Well, if you played the Commodore 64 version of ELITE back then (like I did - nobody guessed that, right :P?), trumbles are a must :twisted:.

Don't know if its worth the effort, but it does add flavor to the game. Be warned, the damned things can be annoying. Quite easy to get rid of though.

Really, a nostalgia element to some of us.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Loxley wrote:
I think it will be offered again if your cash level dips below the threshold (just over 6000 I think) and then breaks it.
Both pods oxp. and personalities oxp. also provide a chance to gain a trumble, just make sure you have plenty of BBQ sauce on hand. :twisted:
There’s no need to drop below the threshold (6553.5 credits). After you refuse to buy a trumble, there’s a 2 % chance per jump that it’ll start being offered again as long as the other criteria are fulfilled.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

So, talking of BBQ trumbleburgers, are we? Yes, you definitely want them well done, with an ale or beer of choice.
Of the two trumbles stolen today from Lave station, only 473 have been recovered
Trumbles are rarely reported stolen, and oddly enough, nobody wants them back. Even a certain small grey feline from Orrira rather well known for peddling the things has problems getting rid of them.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Ahruman wrote:
Loxley wrote:
There’s no need to drop below the threshold (6553.5 credits). After you refuse to buy a trumble, there’s a 2 % chance per jump that it’ll start being offered again as long as the other criteria are fulfilled.
There are statements in the script which implies the percentage drops even lower once you turn them down a few times.
To ensure being offered, look in your save file for the following line:

Code: Select all

<key>mission_trumbles</key>
	<string>NOT_NOW</string>
And replace "NOT_NOW" with "BUY_ME" or

Code: Select all

<key>mission_trumbles</key>
	<string></string>
And you are, as always, right oh dear Lizard, perhaps "escaped" is a better word...