Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hunters Lodge. Feels like I cheated. (N00bie warning)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

OK, I've had another look at the odds calculations and I've removed the player's score from the equation, as the potential range is too great to be of use. I've retained the information about the player's ship (energy and speed) and I've kept some scores for the opponents, as this adds some background flavour and also lets me randomise the odds slightly from one challenger to another. On this basis, a pilot in a Cobra Mk 3 would get odds of around 1-1 against a Jaeger, 4-1 against a Korvette and around 7-1 against a high-scoring Zerstoerer. I'm open to suggestions on whether this is still too much - I thought it would be a bit boring to have all the odds hovering around evens.

Pagroove - there are already hunting lodges in G2, this time representing the 12 most high tech feudal systems. Check the wiki entry and maybe download the readme.

Tonight I've been putting the finishing touches on Galaxy 3 - I should have an upload with that and the revised odds calculation ready soon.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

1) my vessel - another cobra3 - because it was on offer with Naval Energy Unit. I did not have enough money for a Boa 2 / CC, tried a Python but did not get along with it (very slow) and don't see no other interesting ship.
2) Why - I do not want to spoil it for you.
But some things might solve themselves for you that way. :)
3) Missile slots - Cobra3, so 4.
I have always 2 ECm-hardened missiles boarded, but find it hard to adapt to use them ^^. Two Pylons free, so I can scoop missiles after showing some offenders some manners.
4) Energybanks - the usual 4, plus Naval Energy Unit.

I went to galaxy 2 with the original Cobra3. It was roughly the same, but instead of the NEU it had the normal extra energy unit.

It might be my imagination, but I feel fights with pirates became more fierce in galaxy 2. But then again, also the rewards (scoops, together witrh bounties / insurance rewards they have become my main income).

I finally learned how to use the aft laser, and start thinking about upgrading 1 of the side lasers to mil laser too. :twisted:
------------------------------
I don't know how rare that Wolf-II special is to find. If it is very rare, maybe stay in gal1 and buy it there where you know you saw it.

Though I am not sure if a shipmarket stays the same for long, or if maybe it get's generated always the same on withscpace entry to that system ?

I saved the game where I had lots of choice in ships and enough money to either fly a very nice Python or an also very nice Cobra 3.
I tried the Python for a while but would always die when more than one pirate would so much as look at me. :?
When I decided I'd go for the Cobra3 instead and loaded the savegame, all interesting ships had gone, just a few standard customer models on offer.

However, loading a savegame from two systems before that good shipmarket, on arriving there I got exactly the same good choice as before. :?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Zbond-Zbond wrote:
and some extra fuel tanks Fuel Tank v2.1.oxp
I believe the current version of Fuel Tank is v2.2. Not a big change from v2.1 though. Get it from Ramirez's site
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

snork wrote:
I did not have enough money for a Boa 2 / CC, tried a Python but did not get along with it (very slow)
The standard Python is very slow, however the Python Class Cruiser is a quite a bit faster, plus it has some very features like the scoop view (perfect for scooping!) and has four pylons as opposed to the standard Python's two.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

Here's a few details of some popular (standard) ships (and a couple of oxp ships)

energy"bars" (maxEnergy) EnergyRechargeRate MissilesSlots

Anaconda......7(500)3·0 . .. . 7missiles

Boa..............7(450)3·0 . .. . 4missiles
BoaCC..........8(525)3·2 . .. . 5missiles

Cobra...........2(150)2·5 . .. . 1missile
CobraIII.......4(256)4·0 . .. . 4missiles

Python..........7(450)2·5 . .. . 2missiles
PCC..............7(450)3·5 . .. . 4missiles

Terrapin........5(320)5·0 . .. . 6missiles
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Hi again,
You could look into getting a Super cobb. Totally Brill wee beastie, only about 1.6Mill Cr. But does she fly...

Then again I traded my SCobby for a Caddy Omega.

Only one word for that;

WOW.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
sectoid
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sectoid »

Alex wrote:
Totally Brill wee beastie, only about 1.6Mill Cr. But does she fly..
M*f.. Thanks. To be be honest Ive never seen one ?
So the fully laden '0' does not bother You ? ;)
- - end of transmission - -

'Mors Certa, Vita Incerta'
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

JazHaz wrote:
snork wrote:
I did not have enough money for a Boa 2 / CC, tried a Python but did not get along with it (very slow)
The standard Python is very slow, however the Python Class Cruiser is a quite a bit faster, plus it has some very features like the scoop view (perfect for scooping!) and has four pylons as opposed to the standard Python's two.
Sorry, but I do not like that ship, never introduced it into my Ooniverse.

It is too good for too too small a price imo., minor to the Boa CC only in no military shield enhancements available, and 15 tons less cargo capacity.
Energy is at roughly same level - 7 instead of 8 energy banks, but slightly faster energy recharge rate.
It has even higher max.speed than the Boa CC.

All that for 360,000 credits compared to the 500,000 credits for a Boa CC - to me it imbalances the shipmarket.
-------------------------------------------
sectoid wrote:
So the fully laden '0' does not bother You ?
about 0 cargo : https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=22
Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Careful snork, the pcc has got quite a fanclub. You'll have an annoyed allikat after you if you're not careful. :wink:
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

I'm arming up a careful selection of hardheads as we speak... :twisted:
If there's a problem with the both the boa and BCC, it's that they're too expensive for what you get.
The cargo capacity increase over their python equivalents isn't enough, and they're slower with it, without any real major advantages to compensate for the short comings. Either you buy a python, or you buy an anaconda, the boa just is not worth it as a middle ground.
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

hehe, are you in the personalities.oxp ?
It is one of the next oxps I plan to insert. :D

The Boa Mk1 reminds me a little of the Moray boats situation - no real reason to buy them (but personal pref. maybe) when you can get a Cobra3 for almost the same money.

I am thinking about beginning a new game, but with a poorer ship than the Cobra3, intending to thus prolonging the difficult beginning part of the game.
Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

snork wrote:
I am thinking about beginning a new game, but with a poorer ship than the Cobra
you can do so here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=103253#103253
sectoid wrote:
Alex wrote:
Totally Brill wee beastie, only about 1.6Mill Cr. But does she fly..
M*f.. Thanks. To be be honest Ive never seen one ?
supercobra 1.3.oxp is available from http://www.box.net/shared/xsc8dq6z0x
I see it's now v1.4.1 so I've downloaded it again, but am not a fan of Cobras of any description really, MkI <<GRIM>> maybe? I prefer the heretic's choice: Boa2 :shock:
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

snork wrote:
I certainly will be at some point, as soon as I get off my fat backside and send the author the custom paint job for my neo-PCC (in full galcop naval reserve colours btw, so watch it :p )
I hope you'll see your way to offering to provide yourself to add into the OXP yourself. I'd like to see how your iron-ass BCC does against my lard^W Iron ass PCC :D

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

allikat wrote:
snork wrote:
I certainly will be at some point, as soon as I get off my fat backside and send the author the custom paint job for my neo-PCC (in full galcop naval reserve colours btw, so watch it :p )
Just hope your personality doesn't follow your behaviour of launching from the station and crashing into the nav buoy! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

JazHaz wrote:
allikat wrote:
snork wrote:
Just hope your personality doesn't follow your behaviour of launching from the station and crashing into the nav buoy! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
:lol:
Not too often I hope..