Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Not credited with kills

Post by davcefai »

I have returned to the ooniverse after an absence of several months and upgraded Random Hits to 1.3.6.

There seems to be a problem which is persisting across versions.

I kill the mark but on my return to the station I am told that somebody else got him. Is this a known bug and does anybody have a fix?

I am running 1.73.4 on a Debian system.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Not credited with kills

Post by Svengali »

davcefai wrote:
I have returned to the ooniverse after an absence of several months and upgraded Random Hits to 1.3.6.
Welcome back .-)
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Textures?

Post by dmipet »

I seem to have a problem with textures in Random hits. When I approach the bar, it looks like pure white superstructure on a grey blob - as if no textures are applied. I use version 1.3.6 installed on Oolite 1.73.4. To ensure that no other oxps interfere with it, I deleted all of them and then launched Oolite while holding down SHIFT. I also tried to switch shaders to simple (don't know if it can interfere - just in case) - to no avail.
That's strange, since all other textures load normally on my system (neolite.oxp ships look really great, by the way!).
I made a screenshot, but I can't quite get it how to attach it to the post :-( Tell me if it's needed - I can send it by e-mail.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

try turning the shaders off for a while, see if it helps.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Textures?

Post by Commander McLane »

dmipet wrote:
I made a screenshot, but I can't quite get it how to attach it to the post :-( Tell me if it's needed - I can send it by e-mail.
You need to upload it to a free file hosting site outside these boards, and then link to it using the img-tag.

You problem sounds like a graphics card driver issue. We got a lot of those, these days.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Commander McLane wrote:
You need to upload it to a free file hosting site outside these boards, and then link to it using the img-tag.
Recommend Photobucket.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Ok, with shaders turned off the texture was applied normally, thanks Sarin. Still, can anything be done to play with both shaders AND nice-looking bars? :-)
This is especially strange as most objects are rendered nicely with shaders set to full on my system. It seems that glitch happens only with Space Bars and Black Monk Banks - or that is what I have found. I installed Radeon 4670 last December with new drivers from ATI and have never noticed any problem with it so far.
Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

Well, definitely NOT upgrade your drivers. ATI drivers 9.11+ have broken OpenGL shader support.

What system are you running on?
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Thanks for warning, I was just thinking of visiting ATI web page for drivers :-)
Its WinXP AMD Sempron 2800+, RAM 2 Gb, Video Radeon 4670 1 Gb, HDD 250 Gb Seagate.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

dmipet wrote:
I seem to have a problem with textures in Random hits. When I approach the bar, it looks like pure white superstructure on a grey blob - as if no textures are applied. I use version 1.3.6 installed on Oolite 1.73.4.
It could be a bug in one of the shader files. It used to be correct for me but recently I also downloaded version 1.3.6 and I got errors in my log about two shader-files. (rock- and solarpanel.fragment). I fixed it first by replacing the files by the corresponding one of my older version.
Last week LB send me his unreleased 1.3.7 version, that did not give warnings in my log. (here are the two shader files that work with me. They should replace the two corresponding files in the shader folder).

I have no idea if it helps but it is worth the try.

Currently Random Hits is full translated into JS. This new JS version uses all kind of new 1.74 scripting features so release will have to wait for Oolites 1.74 release. However no new functions, just a bit better performance because of using JS.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Which version of ATI CCC have you got installed?
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

To Eric Walch: sorry, replacing shader files with those you posted did not help. Thanks anyway.
To El Viejo: I installed them from the file "9-11_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe". It placed some stuff into my system tray (called "ATI controller" or something like that). I didn't like it, so I deinstalled that controller, kept the drivers only.

UPDATE

The system panel says:
ATI Radeon 4600 Series
Driver: Ver. 8.671.0.0 Date 04.11.2009
Cody

Post by Cody »

Go to this page and download CCC 9.10 and install. Pay attention to install instructions… you will have to uninstall 9.11 first. Keep the whole CCC 9.10 it’s useful. You can remove the tray icon in the preferences.
9.10 does not have the annoying install manager that 9.11 has.
edit: the control centre enables you to adjust settings nicely.
This may cure your problem.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... ng=English
dmipet
Above Average
Above Average

Post by dmipet »

Strange, the download refuses to start.
Nevermind, I installed ver. 9.8 from the CD which came with my card. It works perfectly :-) Everything is as it should be now. Many thanks, El Viejo!
I fell prey to a customer logic: if it (the driver in my case) has bigger number on it, it has to be better. Why did ATI release bugged drivers? Oh well...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Good! The performance difference between 9.8 and 9.10 is not so great, so all is well.