Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Building Oolite Windows from source - The Easier Way

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

I've just downloaded the 2292 version onto my work Vista machine - it downloaded and installed flawlessly.

Now I just need to fill it up with OXPs that show off the pretty gfx!!! 8) :wink:

Nice One Dizzy.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
I've just downloaded the 2292 version onto my work Vista machine - it downloaded and installed flawlessly.

Now I just need to fill it up with OXPs that show off the pretty gfx!!! 8) :wink:

Nice One Dizzy.
Thanks DH! That makes me feel a little better to know that it works ok on at least one Vista machine.. I hope we can get Lestradae's machine fixed..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Just wanted to report that I installed revision 2295 via A_C's quick installation and it went flawlessly, also works fine. Game does everything it should.

No idea why svn up or your installer won't work. So I have to do the full re-install every time I want to go up to the last revision :(

Thanks for your help guys, perhaps the mystery will be solved one day :?

L
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

The mystery deepens :?

I was able to update my trunk version via "svn up" to revision 2303 today. And the result works.

I have no idea at all what was different from the other times I tried. The "make debug=no" seemed to take an extraordinarily long time, though.

Not complaining for sure :D
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

hej,

still works like a charm. :)
Better than most charmes actually.
And doesn't even take long to build on my really old computer.

However, I wonder, is there somewhere a kind of changelog for the 1.74 trunk ? So I can learn what has changed ?
(I read about the joystick precision toggle feedback - wonderful)

All changelogs I found in the source archive were up to 1.73.4 and older.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

snork wrote:
However, I wonder, is there somewhere a kind of changelog for the 1.74 trunk ? So I can learn what has changed ?
No.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

snork wrote:
(I read about the joystick precision toggle feedback - wonderful)

All changelogs I found in the source archive were up to 1.73.4 and older.
There is no official changelog at the moment, but since you have SVN in the development environment package, it is very easy to generate one. From the root of the trunk execute:

Code: Select all

svn log -r 2579:HEAD > myChangelog.txt
which will save the history of all changes commited to trunk since revision 2579, which is the SVN revision corresponding to release 1.73.4, to the file named myChangelog.txt.
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Thanks.

:shock: That's an impressively long read (I am no way through yet)

It is also nice to see, there are several people working on the code and who they are.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

I tried both the instructions in the wiki and those in the OP, and am not getting past step 0.

When I try to open the gnustep shell (by running from the start menu using the packages from gnustep.org, or by running msys.bat in the OP) I get, looks like, 129 of instances of rxvt which all immediately exit.

This is on Vista x64 Ultimate.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

OK, I went to gnustep.org and got the latest & greatest GNUstep system & core installers, and they seem to fly.

Syncing the trunk now.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

And it barfs thusly:

Code: Select all

This is gnustep-make 2.2.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
Making all for objc_program oolite...
 Compiling file src/Core/OOPlanetData.c ...
/bin/sh: sdl-config: command not found
In file included from src/Core/OOPlanetData.h:10,

from src/Core/OOPlanetData.c:10:

src/Core/OOOpenGLOnly.h:58:24: warning: SDL_opengl.h: No such file or directory

In file included from src/Core/OOOpenGLOnly.h:61,

from src/Core/OOPlanetData.h:10,

from src/Core/OOPlanetData.c:10:

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3119: error: syntax error before "red"

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3120: error: syntax error before "mode"

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3121: error: syntax error before "mode"

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3122: error: syntax error before "target"

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3123: error: syntax error before "target"

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3124: error: syntax error before "target"
followed by another 1000 or so lines of errors.

What's sdl-config?
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

OK, looks like I unzipped the Local_20090108.zip file incorrectly (I'm using the instructions at the wiki). I wound up with D:\GNUstep\Local\Local_20090108, doubtless not what was intended.

When I do it the right way (so that I wind up with /Local/bin, /Local/include, etc.) it seems to be flying.
wades
Above Average
Above Average

Post by wades »

Now I have a /Local/oolite/trunk/oolite.app directory, and it has an oolite.exe in it, but when I run it I just get the splash screen, it crashes before I see the spinning cobra.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The zipped development environment package I uploaded in the first post should contain all you need to build the game. You don't need any Local_XXXX file anymore. Just stick with the instructions in the first post in this thread and ignore the wiki ones.

I have to note though, that if you have problems starting MSYS with GNUstep 1.15.3 and it works OK with the latest GNUstep version, then you will have to install the newest GNUstep and make sure that the environment sees only that last version. Just renaming the original gstep1153 folder to something else should be sufficient to make the old GNUstep disappear as far as the build environment is concerned, but you will have to ensure yourself that the new GNUstep has been setup correctly.
wades wrote:
What's sdl-config?
sdl-config is a shell script that returns settings of the SDL library, regarding the way SDL was built and what parameters are required for using its resources in other projects. Other libraries may have similar scripts in the /usr/local/bin MSYS folder. As an example, if you go to the MSYS propmt and execute 'sdl-config --version', it comes back with '1.2.13', if you execute 'sdl-config --libs' it returns the line that needs to be used for a successful linking of the library, something like '-L/usr/local/lib -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows'. The returned value can be passed directly to makefiles and in this way you don't have to remember what the library needs for linking or where its headers are etc. Try executing 'sdl-config --help' for a list of options.
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

The zipped development environment package I uploaded in the first post should contain all you need to build the game. You don't need any Local_XXXX file anymore. Just stick with the instructions in the first post in this thread and ignore the wiki ones.
Kind of negates the point of the wiki does it not - are people coming across Oolite for the first time more likely to find the BB or the wiki? (genuine question - I don't know)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here