How do you turn up the nebulae?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

allikat
Deadly
Deadly

How do you turn up the nebulae?

Post by allikat »

I wants a bit more eye candy on screen, and it'd be nice to turn up the nebulas and such background screen goodness for all systems, and not just have the odd one with it. How would one do this?
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

You can adjust the nebulae and star count and the coronal flare here:

~oolite.app\Resources\Config\planetinfo.plist
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Inside planetinfo.plist's universal section, look for star_count_multiplier and nebula_count_multiplier. Be careful though, the engine has a limit of 4800 stars and 1280 nebulae for performance reasons, but these internal limits are not taken into account when multipliers are used. If you go too multiplier-happy, you can easily bring your system to a crawl, so choose values that don't hamper performance.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Ah, ok, well, if things slow up, all that means to me is that it's time to wind up my overclock some more :twisted:

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Hrm, I got more nebulas now, but they're just as dim and almost invisible as always. I'd like to make them more visible...

allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

I put in system-redux, and amended the nebulas to show up almost all the time :) Now it is a truly wonderful display. Ok, I have to turn my graphics chip up a few notches to run it, but it's an old, creaky NVidia 8500GT, and that's showing it's age.

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

allikat wrote:
I put in system-redux, and amended the nebulas to show up almost all the time :) Now it is a truly wonderful display. Ok, I have to turn my graphics chip up a few notches to run it, but it's an old, creaky NVidia 8500GT, and that's showing it's age.
<monty_python_yorkshiremen_mode>8500GT old and creaky?! Nah, try Oolite on a 6600GT. Now that's old and creaky!</monty_python_yorkshiremen_mode>

[It's also a recent upgrade - I used to be running on a 5700 - which sadly didn't work on Thargoid's machine when he tried to use it to replace some HW of his own that went phutt!]
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

allikat wrote:
Hrm, I got more nebulas now, but they're just as dim and almost invisible as always. I'd like to make them more visible...
I would suggest you read the documentation, which will tell you exactly which values you have to adjust in which ways.